My Floating Home

HenryFreeman

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, HenryFreeman said:

Been watching a few episodes of this and I've got to say I'm amazed how many people base the layout of their boat based on where they're going to put their TV and how big it is...

Its in the title, floating homes, not boats and the episodes I have seen are not intending to move.

Edited by ditchcrawler
Spilling

1 hour ago, HenryFreeman said:

Been watching a few episodes of this and I've got to say I'm amazed how many people base the layout of their boat based on where they're going to put their TV and how big it is...

But that's what they do in their houses, surely. The last one I bought had a set of patio doors looking out onto a stunning garden, with all the chairs arranged with their back to it facing an enormous screen on the internal wall.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, HenryFreeman said:

I don't have a TV licence....

I hope you have!

:ninja: 

Or is it on youtube?

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

I don't have a TV licence....

I hope you have!

:ninja: 

Or is it on youtube?

I'm actually not sure if I do or don't. It's on channel 4 iplayer or whatever the channel 4 Internet streaming thing is called, do you need a TV licence for streaming channel 4?

I don't think I've ever had a TV licence although from age 26 to 6 years ago I was mostly living overseas.

45 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its in the title, floating homes, not boats and the episodes I have seen are not intending to move.

This is what I was smugly commenting on to my girlfriend "another boat that'll never see beyond the boundaries of that marina"

7 minutes ago, HenryFreeman said:

I'm actually not sure if I do or don't. It's on channel 4 iplayer or whatever the channel 4 Internet streaming thing is called, do you need a TV licence for streaming channel 4?

I don't think I've ever had a TV licence although from age 26 to 6 years ago I was mostly living overseas.

I am totally confused by the whole telly licence thing. I've never had one here and they send me abusive letters about every six weeks threatening me with "a visit", which I ignore as they are so discourteous and assumptive.

Amazingly, today I had "the visit"! 

The very polite bod announced he was here to remind me that I needed to renew my TV licence. I was all like "but I don't have a telly". He was all like, "Ok I'll put that down as your information. Goodbye and thank you for your time". 

I'm totally so dead curious about what happens next!! 

Edited by MtB

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

I am totally confused by the whole telly licence thing. I've never had one here and they send me abusive letters about every six weeks threatening me with "a visit". 

Amazingly today I had "the visit"! 

The very polite bod announced he was here to remind me that I needed to renew my TV licence. I was all like "but I don't have a telly". He was all like, "Ok I'll put that down as your information. Goodbye and thank you for your time". 

I'm totally so dead curious about what happens next!! 

It sounds like he was lulling you into a false sense of security and you'll have one of those detector vans from the 1950s sat outside in the not to distant future!

IMG_3115.jpeg.91fb02999624429da8af2117c9ef71ef.jpeg

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HenryFreeman said:

It sounds like he was lulling you into a false sense of security and you'll have one of those detector vans from the 1950s sat outside in the not to distant future!

IMG_3115.jpeg.91fb02999624429da8af2117c9ef71ef.jpeg

The BUSTUDS.

There is one of thems parked right outside NOW!

Good fing I rilly dunt have a telly....

• Haha 1

Last week's episode was more interesting. IIRC it was a couple commissioning a new build narrow boat, and going on a boat handling course, before heading for a marina. Would be interesting to know how they are doing some months later.

Should be available on 4od.

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

The BUSTUDS.

A good read here, surprising the number of people that poo poo detector vans live in Australia 

How do TV detector vans work? Do they know what channel you''re watching, or just that you have the TV on? | Notes and Queries | guardian.co.uk (theguardian.com)

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The BUSTUDS.

I had similar experience about 20 years ago when I had no TV. After ignoring loads of reminder letters they sent me a court date. On the letter I drew around my two fingers in a victory salute and sent it back. I never heard another thing.

3 minutes ago, Midnight said:

After ignoring loads of reminder letters

How quaint.

The letters I get start with the premise that I am obviously watching telly regularly and therefore I need a licence, so as I don't have one, I am de-facto breaking the law.

Well fukkem, if they asked nicely I'd have replied 'no telly', but they never ask! So I ignore their letters.

How brave am I, lol!!! 

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The one I saw last night was a new build Dutch style barge built by Piper. They definitely intended to move. It was a very nice boat but for £412k it had better be!

The presenter of the programme Mark Evans is a total twit.

11 hours ago, MtB said:

How quaint.

The letters I get start with the premise that I am obviously watching telly regularly and therefore I need a licence, so as I don't have one, I am de-facto breaking the law.

Well fukkem, if they asked nicely I'd have replied 'no telly', but they never ask! So I ignore their letters.

How brave am I, lol!!! 

If uou reply saying no telly they still keep sending them

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

anyone know if the digital TVs we have nowadays use local oscillators. I suspect they do not, and the only source of similar interference might be the computer "clock" or the inverter if the back lighting is flourecent.

IIRC the whole "TV Detector Van" thing was scaremongering to frighten people into taking out a licence, even with old valve TVs they were next to useless at actually detecting TV use.

Modern digital TVs radiate negligible LO signal and can't be detected like this anyway. Radiation from anything like a backlight is exactly the same as any computer monitor. 

"TV detection" nowadays consists of knocking on a door (or writing a letter) based on knowing the premises doesn't have a TV license, it's basically fishing...