August - WTF?

blackrose

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

5 boats against our direction of travel from kinver to brewood all day.

The cascading rain and gales didnt stop the gnomes with   enough crap to fill a storage unit from ‘fishing’  on the mooring bollards round the locks.

I hope you made them move.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Very big tides and low pressure, high water up the broads this week

I crossed from Salter’s Lode to Denver sluice at lunchtime and the lockie said it was the biggest tide of the year.

A few years ago on a very high tide, with high winds and one morning I got out of bed to nip round to my local shop. I opened my house door and stopped. The sea!! was at my door lapping at the step half an inch below the bottom of the door lol. My house was in the harbour in Looe in Cornwall but that hadnt happened before. I sold it soon after and bought one 600 yards away at the top of the hill lol.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We could have done with a boat for the drive to Gunthorpe yesterday.

Driving conditions were atrocious.

Warm and dry in the pub though 😀

Twas raining here but the local cricket match/game or whatever they are called still went ahead. I was somewhat dismayed to find that the beer prices have gone up 😒 Its now reached a heady £3.50 a pint. Pleased that you are one of the few of us still supporting pubs :cheers: It should be a criminal offence not to go for a beer when its at all possible.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Twas raining here but the local cricket match/game or whatever they are called still went ahead. I was somewhat dismayed to find that the beer prices have gone up 😒 Its now reached a heady £3.50 a pint. Pleased that you are one of the few of us still supporting pubs :cheers: It should be a criminal offence not to go for a beer when its at all possible.

Where else are you supposed to catch up with friends? 🤣🤣🤣

49 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I thought the duty change on the 1st August was England only so why has your pub put the price up

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I thought the duty change on the 1st August was England only so why has your pub put the price up

It was the cricket club, I dont visit very often, last time a few weeks ago it was £3 lol. Still too cheap realy.

We are just getting ready to come back from our 10 days of holiday in the new campervan, I can safely say it doesn't leak! In fact it has been heavily tested in the no leak department, today is no exception!!!! I will drying it all out for a week!

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

We are just getting ready to come back from our 10 days of holiday in the new campervan, I can safely say it doesn't leak! In fact it has been heavily tested in the no leak department, today is no exception!!!! I will drying it all out for a week!

Yep. Ours was thoroughly leak tested this weekend as well. 

Managed to stay dry so far today although there are dark clouds looming on the horizon 🙄

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Just completed  our granddaughter's 1st birthday party at our home /mostly in  garden. Have escaped rain.

Need a rest now.

It was quite pleasant out on the Trent at dinnertime. It started to cloud over as we got back to Gunthorpe. 

Not many boats on the move though, just a few narrowboats heading slowly upstream.

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

as good a forecast as any weather man i suppose!  :)

They did a study once and found that when they did the weather forecast if they told you what the days before weather was as a forecast for tomorrow they would be 80% accurate

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It was quite pleasant out on the Trent at dinnertime. It started to cloud over as we got back to Gunthorpe. 

Not many boats on the move though, just a few narrowboats heading slowly upstream.

It's been quiet all this year.

We had the pontoon at Gunthorpe almost to ourselves the other week. Two other small boats on there were not occupied overnight.