Getting Diesel from Marinas?

Woody571980

Featured Posts

Hi, a very newbie question :)

When getting Diesel from a Marina is it a case of rocking up, filling up and be on your way (after paying obviously). We were at Shardlow for a short while and they had a policy of only allowing you to fill jerry cans. Is this the case at all Marinas?

We are heading from Sawley to Uxbridge over the next few weeks so just want to be as informed as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes just pull up on the fuel point, find the office if no one there, fill up, pay, leave. If self declaring for the lower price 60/40 split, they may take your details name, boat number, they ask you to sign the form then off you go. There may be little quirks in some like no filling of Jerry cans, but most are as you imagine.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

3 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Yes just pull up on the fuel point, find the office if no one there, fill up, pay, leave. If self declaring for the lower price 60/40 split, they may take your details name, boat number, they ask you to sign the form then off you go. There may be little quirks in some like no filling of Jerry cans, but most are as you imagine.

Perfect, exactly the answers I was looking for.  We have a couple of jerry cans just in case. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Ray T said:

You may find Aquavista Marinas won’t allow Jerry Cans. They have a rule that moorers are not allowed to fill tanks from cans whilst in the marina, they must use the pumps on site

They dont have any issues with you filling up your jerry can(s) whilst doing your boat at the service station though so no issue for passing trade...

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If you are travelling down to Uxbridge, I would recommend that you forget about using marinas to refuel and instead make use of the excellent fuel boats.

These are operated by real enthusiasts, the majority of them on that stretch trading under the umbrella of "Jules Fuels" after Julia Cooke who started the business but is herself I gather Semi-retired, (not that that stopped Jules from refuelling our two boats at Braunston recently!)

Different boats ply different stretches, but whether you encounter Ryan, Nick, Andrew or anybody else you wll get first rate service, and a decent price.

Keep them trading - they can often get to you in poor conditions, when you would not ant to be venturing out yourself. They deserve our support!

Some marinas and boatyards don't sell that much fuel in comparison to fuel boats which might effect the quality of fuel you get.  Fuel boats have a very high turnover of fuel and in the case of Jules I know they also add a fuel additive so you don't have to.  Their diesel price is competative and you can sign up for text alerts so you will know when they are passing.  My experience has been that LPG, coal etc. may be more expensive from a fuel boat, but you do get the convenience of not having to cart the stuff down the towpath. 

Last time I filled up at Sawley Marina it was a self service pump and pay with card. You needed to register first with a card from the office. It was two or three years ago so may have changed.

I'm surprised fuel boat operators don't have some sort of tracker where you can text them a certain code and find out where the boat is. Only switched on during trading hours. 

As for fuel quality the worst roughest diesel I have seen in my life was in the bottom of a tank on an oiler narrow boat. 

Obviously not telling who it was but it was remarkably nasty stuff. 

This could just as easily happen with a marina fuel tank but there is a difference which is that the marina tank is static whereas the one in the boat is subject to movement so IF there is any rubbish or water in there it can quite easily get mixed up for example when doing locks. 

Still a good service and I expect they are generally very careful with cleanliness. 

Edited by magnetman

List of fuel boats . Includes areas of operation and contact details for most of them.

http://www.lock13.co.uk/

You can either book a fuel boat visit with them, or just hail them as you pass. I have filled up in the middle of the canal before, with just a rope (and a fuel delivery hose) between the boats, with neither being moored up. It only takes a few minutes to fill up and you are unlikely to seriously delay anybody else in the area.

• Greenie 1

On the subject of getting fuel at marinas.

We are doing the Thames Ring 

At Windsor Marina the diesel is £1.49 at litre. Petrol is £1.90. The pump out was £18. 
No comparison to the 90p/98p from the fuel boat on the GU

Not sure if he is still operating but Chris on NB Merchant (a modern RW Davis built narrow boat in traditional working style) usually has good prices and clean fuel. Based at Staines upon Thames just below the railway bridge. He is a bit sporadic and the boat has been for sale so may not be an option. 

We prefer using hire bases in the absence of fuel boats for diesel.  They have a high turn over of fuel, so less chance of crud. I must say, over the years, have always had great service from Anglo Welsh bases. In fact today, refuelled at Trevor. Best to avoid handover days though.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

Not sure if he is still operating but Chris on NB Merchant (a modern RW Davis built narrow boat in traditional working style) usually has good prices and clean fuel. Based at Staines upon Thames just below the railway bridge. He is a bit sporadic and the boat has been for sale so may not be an option. 

Last Week Merchant was tied up at Staines on the inside. I don’t think Chris operates her any more and she might be in the hands of new owners. 

• Sad 1

On 01/08/2023 at 21:04, AG2 said:

On the subject of getting fuel at marinas.

We are doing the Thames Ring 

At Windsor Marina the diesel is £1.49 at litre. Petrol is £1.90. The pump out was £18. 
No comparison to the 90p/98p from the fuel boat on the GU

The Thames (with the exception of Reading) has hideous prices you won't pay many other places on the network

To clarify I think by 'Reading' you mean Better Boating. The best boatyard on the Thames. Always nice to have a look around the shop there as it has a variety of new stuff and random other things. Really good place. 

Five minutes upstream of the big Tesco by the River. 

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

To clarify I think by 'Reading' you mean Better Boating. The best boatyard on the Thames. Always nice to have a look around the shop there as it has a variety of new stuff and random other things. Really good place. 

Five minutes upstream of the big Tesco by the River. 

The have hell of a pumpout machine or did have last time I visited. No chance of a blockage with that, just dont sit on the loo while having a pumpout

• Greenie 1

If you are heading down the Soar to get to Uxbridge there is now a fuel boat operating on the river. https://www.facebook.com/groups/3143767002610491 Phone number is 07526106818 It is Hampstead operated by Tracey and Howard. He is also an excellent boat electrician.

Otherwise Sileby Mill Boatyard have a good turnover of fuel and also have a good chandelry. There is then nowhere until you get to Debdale.