Microvent life expectancy

Tim Boat

Featured Posts

We have a LeeSan Microvent for the holding tank on our 57’ live aboard boat. We also have been using Odourless in the tank. All has been well for a year but things suddenly got a bit ripe. 

How frequently do you change your filter?

sidebar- how frequently do you replace the joker valve (or whatever you call the one way valve between macerator and holding)?

I don't know about the filter but found a couple of years ago that odourless stopped working and was told it had been changed.

Now using biological toilet additive without any issue.

I did have a similar problem years ago when strong cleaning product with a high bleach level got into the tank and killed the enzymes. This took several pump outs before things got back to normal. 

13 minutes ago, adrianh said:

I don't know about the filter but found a couple of years ago that odourless stopped working and was told it had been changed.

Now using biological toilet additive without any issue.

I did have a similar problem years ago when strong cleaning product with a high bleach level got into the tank and killed the enzymes. This took several pump outs before things got back to normal. 

Thanks. Yes I’d heard that about odourless but we have been happy with it so far. Definitely no bleach in ours. Only change we made was trying jabsco cleaner instead of ecover to clean the bowl and try to remove the limescale. 

39 minutes ago, Tim Boat said:

We have a LeeSan Microvent for the holding tank on our 57’ live aboard boat. We also have been using Odourless in the tank. All has been well for a year but things suddenly got a bit ripe. 

sidebar- how frequently do you replace the joker valve (or whatever you call the one way valve between macerator and holding)?

A photo of your set up will help for your sidebar question.

You may have to raise the valve above the top of the tank to ensure that any fluid in the pipes goes into the tank, rather than leak out.

Bod

Can’t really take a good photo. the valve is next to the macerator and then the pipe has to go up to the top of the tank which is about 3’ higher. 

More trying to understand how long the valves last/how quickly the rubber perishes. 

White vinegar works quite well for the limescale. 

Just now, Tim Boat said:

Can’t really take a good photo. the valve is next to the macerator and then the pipe has to go up to the top of the tank which is about 3’ higher. 

More trying to understand how long the valves last/how quickly the rubber perishes. 

I don't have any joker valves now on either boat but a previous boat had a manually pumped sea toilet (Lavac) which had a joker valve and an indicator that it was failing was that material seeped back through into the bowl. I don't know if this happens with a slinger type macerator (Tecma etc). 

2 minutes ago, adrianh said:

It was a limescale remover that caused my problem.

Also sterilising the water tank and adding 1 tablet too many caused a problem

That could be it then 😞 

Thorough pump out and flush coming up. 

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I don't have any joker valves now on either boat but a previous boat had a manually pumped sea toilet (Lavac) which had a joker valve and an indicator that it was failing was that material seeped back through into the bowl. I don't know if this happens with a slinger type macerator (Tecma etc). 

Thanks - Yep it does happen. 

32 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The joker valve is one of the best named parts on a boat. 

'The green goblin valve' would be a much better name. 

34 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Our Lavac sea toilet suffers the dreaded limescale in the bowl and joker valve. The valve tends to become stiff and inflexible after a few years use, and shows the symptoms you mention. 

Although cleaning it helps for a while. 

The white vinegar and bicarb work a treat in the limescale in the bowl. God knows what it does to the seals though (no, not those ones). 

1 hour ago, adrianh said:

sterilising the water tank 

I stopped doing that a few years ago. If in regular use the water throughput it no concern. After a long idle period simply flush with fresh tap water.

2 hours ago, Tim Boat said:

I don't have any holding  tank vent filters and no tank odour issues. 

I do use Odourlos and consider it effective and economical. But you do need to avoid any other chemicals wherever possible. 

Joker valves probably should be replaced regularly although I expect most people leave it until a faul develops. I include myself in that.

12 hours ago, Tim Boat said:

Those microvent carbon odour elements are quite expensive. I've heard, but don't know how true it is, that simply putting the carbon element outside on a warm breezy day will reverse the absorption process so that the filter can be used again. Probably best to do some googling to check the science.

Is this a filter for the vent? 

Another approach if the boat is usually moored is simply to extend the vent upwards for a few feet above the cabin using pipe. 

I don't know how people usually do this but assume the vent does go outside of the boat. When I installed the Lavac which went to a holding tank I just put the vent straight through the cabin top with 15mm PE-X speedfit pipe with a bit extra outside to stop the stink getting in through any of the vents. No problems no filter. 

18 hours ago, blackrose said:

Those microvent carbon odour elements are quite expensive. I've heard, but don't know how true it is, that simply putting the carbon element outside on a warm breezy day will reverse the absorption process so that the filter can be used again. Probably best to do some googling to check the science.

Very expensive. They usually don't last much more than 3-6 months but do work. The ones I tried to reverse eventually disintegrated. I tried activated carbon charcoal in an Aldi string vegetable bag. It only worked for about 4 weeks but it is a cheap option. I'm using bio washing liquid now as well as the cheapo filter which seems to be working so far.

Edited by Midnight

16 hours ago, Tim Boat said:

Thanks. We’ve had this filter for a year. Seems like the consensus is that it has had a good run. 

Like @ditchcrawler ours doesn't have such a filter, so it's on an infinitely better run. We don't have an issue with smell. Are you sure you can't do away with it?

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Like @ditchcrawler ours doesn't have such a filter, so it's on an infinitely better run. We don't have an issue with smell. Are you sure you can't do away with it?

Tried without a filter. We have a vacuum toilet which forces air out of the tank when the pedal is pressed so each press was accompanied by a fair old pong. No smell between presses.

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

Tried without a filter. We have a vacuum toilet which forces air out of the tank when the pedal is pressed so each press was accompanied by a fair old pong. No smell between presses.

Ah, that's a shame. Worth a thought, but it looks like you're stuck with regular filter replacement. :mellow: