Microvent life expectancy

Tim Boat

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

Tried without a filter. We have a vacuum toilet which forces air out of the tank when the pedal is pressed so each press was accompanied by a fair old pong. No smell between presses.

But you are not outside when you flush the loo 🤑

The smell could have come back in through cabin vents. That is why I extended the pipe on the vent when I had the barge. My initial design which just stuck out the top of the cabin occasionally resulted in odours coming in through a mushroom vent which was acting as an inlet in ventilation terms. 

Extended the pipe by a foot no problems. 

This was a cabin top exiting vent. A hull side version would be more awkward to deal with. 

I suppose it probably is more common to put it out the side but putting it out the top can make sense in a number of different ways. 

Edited by magnetman

• 2 months later...

Just to circle back and close this out incase it helps anyone else in the future. 

We think we had a poor pump out (no rinse) and at the same time got our mixtures out of wack. Started fresh after the next pump out with Odourless and mostly back to normal. Then we changed the vent filter and all is well again. (LeeSan advised that the Microvent filters last about a year for live aboards.)

thanks for all the suggestions