Boaters left 'petrified' to use Alwalton lock following anti-social behaviour spree

Featured Posts

Boaters left 'petrified' to use Alwalton lock following anti-social behaviour spree | Peterborough Telegraph (peterboroughtoday.co.uk)

Boaters have in Peterborough have been left terrified to use Alwalton Lock due to a rise in anti-social behaviour at the spot along the River Nene, according to one resident.

A number of different issues have been reported to the Peterborough Telegraph including large gatherings of youths followed by damage to the lock, opening lock paddles causing water to rush through, litter, graffiti and even the life ring being stolen.

One resident said: “Boaters are petrified to go through this lock, the youths jump into the lock as boats are entering the lock, risking their own lives and boaters too.“My suggestion to the Environmental Agency would be a gated fence both sides of the lock, only allowing boaters access."

42 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

I've never been scared of it either. Used to moor there a lot as well.

Some people are wimps.

And some people just seem to like posting scary things on CWDF about all sorts of subjects -- anti-social behaviour, bacterial corrosion, boats over weirs... 😉

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Giant Hogweed...

Oh dear, you got me. Guilty as charged, m'lud... 😉

Though perhaps I should point out that my original post was not intended to be scary, just asking what CART did about the plant -- the scary bits were introduced by someone else... 🙂

Edited by IanD

43 minutes ago, IanD said:

And some people just seem to like posting scary things on CWDF about all sorts of subjects -- anti-social behaviour, bacterial corrosion, boats over weirs... 😉

And some people like to try and moderate what others post despite them not being a moderator (nor hopefully never will be).

The forum is a 'broad church', not everybody is fascinated by the intricacies of engineering and electrical matters.

Some find other stuff relevant and interesting.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Been through it many times. Again later this week. 

I've never felt petrified. 

1 hour ago, GUMPY said:

I've never been scared of it either. Used to moor there a lot as well.

Some people are wimps.

We now have the identities of two of the anti--social youths who are petrifying other boaters. 😀

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You'll never get that far with all the lock failures upstream 😂

Lock failures ...Pffft I spit on them. We can carry the boat around if necessary. But Yoofses swimming - terrorifying and scarywary!

Edited by nicknorman

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Oh no, we will come out with webbed tooties!

I suspect the word 'tooty' doesnt mean the same in your house as it does in ours...

Just now, nicknorman said:

Perhaps not, but do tell!

Youngest daughter with us in a bank in France many years ago, about aged 3 or 4. After we'd been on the beach.

French guy, in impecible English in front spoke and asked her 'how she was'.

"Im OK but ive got sand in my tooty and its sore....'

(She didnt mean toes.)

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Youngest daughter with us in a bank in France many years ago, about aged 3 or 4. After we'd been on the beach.

French guy, in impecible English in front spoke and asked her 'how she was'.

"Im OK but ive got sand in my tooty and its sore....'

(She didnt mean toes.)

Ah well, I wouldn’t know about such things.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Impecible English sounds interesting. 

As in better than my less than impeccable French or English spelling.

OK?

I came through Holme Lock on the Trent a couple of weeks ago.

There must have been somewhere between 150-200 youngsters swimming and jumping off the walls there (its pretty high) at the downstream end of the lock

Gave them several  toots to make sure they knew I was there and coming through- I didnt really want the mess of any landing on the roof or getting tangled in the prop.

The water in front of me cleared and aside from some waves, compliments about the boat and a bit of banter not one bit of angst or attitude. Great bunch of kids.

• Greenie 1