B’rum advice for anti-clock Warwickshire Ring

starman

Featured Posts

We’re heading up the North Oxford so fancied trying the Warwickshire Ring. We’ve been through Birmingham many times but never done the Garrison Locks, Bordesley, top of the GU route back to our Calcutt base. 
Any top tips welcome. Are the Knowle Locks as tricky downhill as up? (Our dog doesn’t enjoy being bashed about!)

He does make up for that with scary barking but even so save-ish overnight stops appreciated.  

Knowle locks probably easier going down although if single boat it will drift about in the lock. Can be windswept so best to have top gates of next lock open and ready.

I've always broken the journey with an overnight stay at Camp Hill as next 'safe' stop' is Catherine de Barnes.

We do straight through to Catherine de Barnes from Birmingham.  Be aware of Ashted tunnel as it has a low profile, I've caught the front corner of our roof a couple of times when I've left the boat drifting in the tunnel and gone back to shut the bottom gate.

My advice would be to do Curdworth to Catherine-de-Barnes in one go. Camp Hill is no longer secure. I stopped at Star City last autumn with no problem and I've never heard of boaters having problems there, but it's a joyless place.

Don't worry about Ashted tunnel because your route doesn't go through it.

I don't know why anyone has a problem with boats bashing about in wide locks or Knowle in particular. Yes, I know Knowle locks are a bit more volatile than others on that route because they have bigger paddles. I actually find going up easier as you can control the boat with the paddles but going down you can use a line.

Since it was dredged last year the section between Catherine-de-Barnes and Olton is much improved. It was incredibly shallow prior to that for a supposed main line canal.

Anti-vandal keys will be needed for Minworth, Garrison and Camp Hill IIRC.

Edited by Captain Pegg

Go down Hatton on a Tuesday or Thursday.  The volunteer A team are there then.

The caff at the top of Hatton is good.

Garrison flight is a bit grim scenery wise, and you are almost certain to need to dive the weed hatch.  Pond gloves ( extra long ) are helpful.

We normally try to do Curdworth to Catty Barnes.  It is a long day so top of Camp Hill might be easier.

The ten mile summit to Knowle can  be full of leaves, and the floating wind-blown cr@p accumulates on the bends.

Haven't been down Knowle recently, but it was not a problem last time.  As noted it's always windy so you will get blown to one side at the top and then across to the other when the lock is empty.  A rope will stop this, but its is usually fairly gentle anyway.  The Knowle  paddles are heavy, (they are bigger than the rest of the GU Ham and Baker ones and don't get much use)  so we only ever use one at top or bottom.  It does not seem to take much longer.

N

23 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Go down Hatton on a Tuesday or Thursday.  The volunteer A team are there then.

The caff at the top of Hatton is good.

Garrison flight is a bit grim scenery wise, and you are almost certain to need to dive the weed hatch.  Pond gloves ( extra long ) are helpful.

We normally try to do Curdworth to Catty Barnes.  It is a long day so top of Camp Hill might be easier.

The ten mile summit to Knowle can  be full of leaves, and the floating wind-blown cr@p accumulates on the bends.

Haven't been down Knowle recently, but it was not a problem last time.  As noted it's always windy so you will get blown to one side at the top and then across to the other when the lock is empty.  A rope will stop this, but its is usually fairly gentle anyway.  The Knowle  paddles are heavy, (they are bigger than the rest of the GU Ham and Baker ones and don't get much use)  so we only ever use one at top or bottom.  It does not seem to take much longer.

N

The problem I have generally found with Knowle is that emptying a lock sets up a giant eddy around the extra wide intermediate pound. If you exit one lock before the next is ready then the boat is taken on a grand tour of 360 deg with no chance of controlling it. We wait in the jaws of one lock until the next is ready and then go full blast across the pound. I find it more pronounced when coming down.

Of course some may not find this but I have met others who have.

It is a long time since we used two Ham Baker paddles (either side) at the same time unless sharing. By the time we have wound up one and gone over to the other side the lock is almost ready anyway! But, of course, there are those who say that you should open  both gates anyway. I cannot remember about Knowle but in Hatton, Stockton and others you don't have much choice as the second gate opens itself when you pass on even the slowest speed

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

My advice would be to do Curdworth to Catherine-de-Barnes in one go. Camp Hill is no longer secure. I stopped at Star City last autumn with no problem and I've never heard of boaters having problems there, but it's a joyless place.

I often stop at Star City and never had a problem, I also like the food available there .

As foe Knowle Locks  the water actually flows round in circles in the pounds between the locks. Of you stop the boat in the middle you will go round like a clock hand. 

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I often stop at Star City and never had a problem, I also like the food available there .

As foe Knowle Locks  the water actually flows round in circles in the pounds between the locks. Of you stop the boat in the middle you will go round like a clock hand. 

Yeah, but you don't stop in the middle of closely spaced locks in a flight. Same as you don't hover below a lock that's about to be emptied.

Agree Star City is a bit soulless but it’s a decent place to moor, and Curdwoth to Catherine de Barnes may not fit in with the times you arrive at Curdworth. There is plenty of fast food outlets there plus cinema etc. it’s like many out of town parks but without the shops. There is a Costco though nearby too 🤣. There’s probably Curry etc take aways or deliveroo stuff not far away either 

We didn’t need the weedhatch all the way round, big prop perhaps helps. Garrison and Camp Hill are very quiet, typical urban locks though pretty easy. A fisherman complained how busy it was to us in early September - he agreed we were the third boat through Camp Hill at 5.30 PM 🤣

Personally I would go from Curdworth, eg by the Cuttle Bridge Inn, to Catherine de Barnes in one day, it’s not a long day really and stopping at Star City whilst OK is not really a plus.  We did Birmingham centre to CdeB via Ashstead and Camp Hill last week, Camp Hill grim but it all worked fine, and the GU summit was OK if not very interesting and a bit boring.

Stopping at Camp Hill has been mentioned, I would say that is not possible anymore, at least there is nowhere secure to stop, much of the buildings there have been demolished and the services are not in use and the compound gates open and lots of fly tipping.

Knowle locks are heavy work, but when we went through it was over run by volunteer lock keepers so was very easy and I could go straight across the pounds without having to wait.  I don’t really see it is much different going down to going up, and other than hovering in the pounds can be hard, they are the same as the other widened GU locks, like Calcutt which you will be very familiar with.

24 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Personally I would go from Curdworth, eg by the Cuttle Bridge Inn, to Catherine de Barnes in one day, it’s not a long day really and stopping at Star City whilst OK is not really a plus.  We did Birmingham centre to CdeB via Ashstead and Camp Hill last week, Camp Hill grim but it all worked fine, and the GU summit was OK if not very interesting and a bit boring.

Stopping at Camp Hill has been mentioned, I would say that is not possible anymore, at least there is nowhere secure to stop, much of the buildings there have been demolished and the services are not in use and the compound gates open and lots of fly tipping.

Knowle locks are heavy work, but when we went through it was over run by volunteer lock keepers so was very easy and I could go straight across the pounds without having to wait.  I don’t really see it is much different going down to going up, and other than hovering in the pounds can be hard, they are the same as the other widened GU locks, like Calcutt which you will be very familiar with.

Indeed I am very familiar with Calcutt - and a boat called ‘Firefly’ 😉
Thanks to you (and all) for the tips. Things are rarely as bad as they’re painted in my experience but it’s best to be prepared. 

Just to add my tuppence worth about Knowle, the issue is the eddying currents in the pounds, which are remarkably strong and persistent.  Never encountered anything like it anywhere else! Lots of people including the volunteers will tell you it is the wind, even when it is flat calm!

The Camp Hill to CdeB pound is a bit dull and used to be very shallow and mucky. Being in a long cutting there are a lot of overhanging trees and corresponding wood debris. Last time we went through they were dredging it so hopefully it is better now.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am not a fan of the GU up past Knowle and prefer the N Stratford

Same here, we only went the GU route last week because of the tree down on the N Stratford closing it.  

But if you do the Warwickshire ring then strictly that is the GU route, but with enough time I would always go into the centre of Birmingham.  Garrison, Ashstead, Camp Hill are not my favourite lock flights.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I’m just being complete-ist really —  Garrison Locks and down through Knowle is one of the few stretches we haven’t done. Central Birmingham is not on the wish list for this trip. 

33 minutes ago, starman said:

I’m just being complete-ist really —  Garrison Locks and down through Knowle is one of the few stretches we haven’t done. Central Birmingham is not on the wish list for this trip. 

Check the stoppages, 

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Likewise. Mrs Hound and I once did Hatton and the Lapworth flight in a single day, but we were young and enthusiastic then... :)

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Yes its for the Ashsted Locks/ Digbeth branch , which wont affect this journey and will make Garrison locks even quieter. 

Notice Alert

Digbeth Branch (Birm'm & Fazeley)
Starts At: Heneage Street Bridge
Ends At: Lister Street Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole Aston Junction
Down Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole Warwick Bar

Monday 22 May 2023 08:00 until Friday 30 June 2023 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair

Original message:

We would like to advise our customers of some essential planned brickwork repairs due to take place on the section of navigation between Lister Street Bridge & Heneage Street Bridge. This work is required as water from the canal is leaking through the wall and making the condition of the towpath, weak and potentially unstable. The work is needed to prevent further damage and the eroding of the towpath away, which could cause significant water loss. The works will be taking place from 22/05/2023 until 30/06/2023. Navigation will remain open along the full length of the Birmingham & Fazeley and Birmingham & Warwick Junction Canals, with your shortest alternative route from central Birmingham to the Grand Union Canal will be via Salford Junction. Thank you for your patience while we carry out this repair.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/24999/birmingham-just-above-ashted-locks

You can find all notices at the url below:

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Yes its for the Ashsted Locks/ Digbeth branch , which wont affect this journey and will make Garrison locks even quieter. 

Or busier if people are going Birmingham to GU!

making Garrison two way for the Challenge would seen a good idea, but then Garrison isn’t part of the BCN either!

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Or busier if people are going Birmingham to GU!

Possibly, most folk seem to go down the S Stratford though I believe to get to the GU? As we know It’s all open bar the bit from Aston junction to Camp Hill which isn’t a popular run I had thought? Some use Garrison/Ashted as an alternative to Aston so that’s out for now. 

It seems to be towpath works so perhaps work can be suspended for the BCN challenge I wonder? 

Just now, Stroudwater1 said:

Possibly, most folk seem to go down the S Stratford though I believe to get to the GU? As we know It’s all open bar the bit from Aston junction to Camp Hill which isn’t a popular run I had thought? Some use Garrison/Ashted as an alternative to Aston so that’s out for now. 

It seems to be towpath works so perhaps work can be suspended for the BCN challenge I wonder? 

Yes they they would normally go the NORTH Stratford way.  When we went Ashted last week it was quite busy both ways and I don’t think it was just because of the tree down on the North Stratford (which was the reason we were there), as we saw no one on Camp Hill so people were going Garrison/Ashted I think, personally I would go Aston every time!