Ducks aboard!

Grass is Greener

Featured Posts

Throwing this out there, but does anyone have a duck or ducks as pets / egg supplier? I'm thinking of getting one, but would love to hear if it's a tried and tested thing.

I don't expect to have a couch / lap pet, so could potentially use the stern as an abode.

Edited by Grass is Greener

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have seen several with a duck house on a dingy being towed as a butty and let out when moored up..

Ffs, there are ducks swimming about day and night why do yo need to keep them in a cage.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ffs, there are ducks swimming about day and night why do yo need to keep them in a cage.

Have you ever tried finding the eggs of the others?

If it were me I would keep chickens for a longer laying season 

Edited by ditchcrawler
added the chickens

I keep chickens (on land not boat) one day swmbo arrived home not with 4 new pullets as instructed but 'even better' 4 ducklings.... 

The man said there no trouble she said... in fairness they were similar to the chickens .....but they are dirty bastards.... think projectile duck shit.... all up the sides of the coop/house.....

They loved ripping up my lawn and scratching every plant out. 

Some people love duck eggs personally I hated them, they are fine in cakes but no good boiled scrambled or fried for me.

One night they all disappeared must have been a fox....

So get a chicken don't go anywhere near dirty bastard ducks....

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Grass is Greener said:

Throwing this out there, but does anyone have a duck or ducks as pets / egg supplier? I'm thinking of getting one, but would love to hear if it's a tried and tested thing.

I don't expect to have a couch / lap pet, so could potentially use the stern as an abode.

Most of the UK is currently in the grip of its worse Avian Flu outbreak. As such domestic birds, chickens and ducks should be kept protected for their sake and everybody else's sake. How do you do that on a boat

Just now, Tonka said:

Most of the UK is currently in the grip of its worse Avian Flu outbreak. As such domestic birds, chickens and ducks should must be kept protected locked up inside for their sake and everybody else's sake as well as being what the law requires. How do you do that on a boat

A couple of small amendments.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

After balut?

Ah, one of the delights of a holiday in the Philippines, or used to be.

I gave up eating all eggs ten years ago.

Every egg consumer should have a look at balut at least once in their lives.

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I had a scotch egg from tesco not long ago and almost choked to death on it. Well dodgy things they are. 

I'm which case definitely don't sample '100 year-old' eggs. In inverted commas because they are younger than 100, but still pretty black inside 😝