Boat prices

JemShaun

Featured Posts

Looking at coming back to the water after several years on land,  and we have been looking to buy a boat for us to live on.  I have been watching the usual brokerage sites, however what has happened to the prices? Some are so overpriced its actually any wonder they sell. Is this the norm now or are people just trying their luck?

Edited by JemShaun

Boats, as with houses have risen significantly in the past 3 or so years. Any boat or house or car or whatever, is worth precisely to the penny what any one person pays for it on any particular day. At the moment however, boats cannot realy be described as value for money in many cases. Thing is, waiting around until everything falls, in to perfect alignment financialy and you may well wake up dead before you do anything.

Boat prices are only overpriced if the boat stays on sale for months on end. Well maintained and looked after boats are selling almost as soon as they hit the websites, some before(as people are waiting for such boats, and a good broker will have a list of potential buyers).

The pandemic led to people who couldn't travel overseas on holiday buying boats, folk who no longer needed to go into the office every day found living (and working) afloat more appealing than renting in the city, and others just chose to redress the work-life balance by trading in a hectic work life for an easier (semi) retirement. All have pushed up the demand and prices over the last 3 years. And although post pandemic life is getting back closer to normal there hasn't (yet) been any substantial fall in boat prices.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Boats, as with houses have risen significantly in the past 3 or so years. Any boat or house or car or whatever, is worth precisely to the penny what any one person pays for it on any particular day. At the moment however, boats cannot realy be described as value for money in many cases. Thing is, waiting around until everything falls, in to perfect alignment financialy and you may well wake up dead before you do anything.

When you say current prices are wrong, ie too high, I have to disagree, we know new prices have risen significantly, labour and steel being main reasons. This pulls up prices of older boats. It just does.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, JemShaun said:

Looking at coming back to the water after several years on land,  and we have been looking to buy a boat for us to live on.  I have been watching the usual brokerage sites, however what has happened to the prices? Some are so overpriced its actually any wonder they sell. Is this the norm now or are people just trying their luck?

Have a look at steel prices and new boat prices, then the second hand prices you are seeing will all make a lot more sense.

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

Boat prices are only overpriced if the boat stays on sale for months on end. Well maintained and looked after boats are selling almost as soon as they hit the websites, some before(as people are waiting for such boats, and a good broker will have a list of potential buyers).

If I was buying for myself I would keep the brokers up to scratch by phoning regularly and telling them I am a cash buyer, they must get so many dreamers and timewasters you need to be on the ball.

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If I was buying for myself I would keep the brokers up to scratch by phoning regularly and telling them I am a cash buyer, they must get so many dreamers and timewasters you need to be on the ball.

I would have thought that probably 95%+ are cash buyers