Not looking good for us

Midnight

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Really, I've not seen one for about six months, maybe my habit of asking them to put me through the lock means they are getting a bit wary of approaching me, lol.

Agree, I don't have enough info on most of those points, but those involved will vote as expected.

Asked CRT about my possible trip passing red brook corner on the Calder and hebble as on the stoppage notice it says it’s silted up since the floods. Remind me when that was? My concern being deep drafted as I’ve struggled on many occasions. This is the reply. Not very good. Do I go or do I stay? Sent a reply asking when they intend to dredge it. Not holding my breath.

59328C4C-5DEF-4C00-A6DC-D35CEA078D68.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm now,  it appears, paying CRT £750 for the privilege of mooring on a bit of canal edge (not a CRT mooring). CRTs view is going to be that CCers don't pay anything for that privilege and that they probably should, and the logical way to sort that is to scrap my £750 bill (thus getting rid of the bureaucracy, which significantly has never been computerised) and add that to my licence cost, all collected online. Makes no difference to me, but would add that amount to all those  registered as no home mooring. It's what they should have done in the first place, all those years ago.

It also means that they've got a  bigger baseline for future percentage licence increases.

Would there then be anything to stop me mooring where you normally moor? I can see quite a rush for nice places if we are all levelled up.

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

That's what the survey showed to me, they kept o  going over the same references to CC and widebeams all the way through. I was surprised at the removal of 10%, 25% and 10 for historical boats electric boats and boats in landlocked waterways in that order. But no surprises for what the end results are going to be, as they know the answers already 

Im not sure why any discounts should be offered to boats based on how old they are or what the propulsion system is.

They cause the same ammount of wear and tear on the system so why offer a discount?

I'm happy for historic boats to get a discount just to make a small contribution towards their preservation. Giving an electric boat a discount is bonkers. C&RT need the money. I'm OK with the final one because their cruising range is physically limited. Having said that which waterways would the latter apply to?

• Greenie 2

Just now, Cheshire cat said:

I'm happy for historic boats to get a discount just to make a small contribution towards their preservation. Giving an electric boat a discount is bonkers. C&RT need the money. I'm OK with the final one because their cruising range is physically limited. Having said that which waterways would the latter apply to?

If electric boats get a discount for being green surely historic boats should pay more by being dirty. Except for horse drawn boat which should be paid to use the towpath and by doing so keep the cyclists, fishermen at bay. Sound like a plan . Dam already filled in the consultation. Might ask Ian D if he can put it forward for me😜

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

If electric boats get a discount for being green surely historic boats should pay more by being dirty. Except for horse drawn boat which should be paid to use the towpath and by doing so keep the cyclists, fishermen at bay. Sound like a plan . Dam already filled in the consultation. Might ask Ian D if he can put it forward for me😜

All sounds good to me, I'll consider it if CART provide suitable boxes to fill in... 😉

P.S. I guess electric boats get a discount because they not only fit with CART's "green agenda" but also make less fumes and noise than diesels -- compared to the much higher cost (and given no charging points) there's little point CART doing it to encourage more people to switch to them, if they're going to switch it won't change their mind. And CART need every penny they can get...

Edited by IanD
  • Love 1

Just now, IanD said:

All sounds good to me, I'll consider it if CART provide suitable boxes to fill in... 😉

Their loads of boxes you could fill in .👍

Just now, magnetman said:

It will soon be wise to adopt land based haulage systems instead of using propellers. 

Loads of over 50s the government want to re introduce to the work place.🤨

What does one do with the contents?

I reckon the key to consultations lies in the area where one is allowed to add ones own thoughts. I bet not many people do this, preferring to just answer multiple choice questions. 

It seems likely to me that anyone actually making a coherent and sensible individual point might be looked at and taken seriously. 

No I don't do this because I hate consultations. 

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

What does one do with the contents?

I reckon the key to consultations lies in the area where one is allowed to add ones own thoughts. I bet not many people do this, preferring to just answer multiple choice questions. 

It seems likely to me that anyone actually making a coherent and sensible individual point might be looked at and taken seriously. 

No I don't do this because I hate consultations. 

There is a box for your comments. They will have to amend it so there’s enough room for Ian’s suggestions and how it will all be administered, with all the coatings and future liabilities etc etc etc etc etc.🤭

Just now, Jon57 said:

There is a box for your comments. They will have to amend it so there’s enough room for Ian’s suggestions and how it will all be administered, with all the coatings and future liabilities etc etc etc etc etc.🤭

Maybe i can use a *very* small font... 😉

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Really, I've not seen one for about six months, maybe my habit of asking them to put me through the lock means they are getting a bit wary of approaching me, lol.

Agree, I don't have enough info on most of those points, but those involved will vote as expected. I did say I don't think electric boats should have a discount, it defies logic, In the next ten years it is unlikely the cmers who may be polluting urban areas will be replaced with electric boats, even if they had a fifty percent discount. The people who we understand are living aboard because they can't afford rental or other housing are not going to buy electric boats.

It's a farce.

It’s very definitely not a vote LadyG 🙂

58 minutes ago, magnetman said:

That thought crossed my mind too,

so I did add my thoughts in the areas allowed

but coherent and sensible? 

hell yea! 👍

3 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Here's another consultation Mr Khan doesn't want you to know about. Closing date is two weeks away. 

Road charging consultation

Great idea.

I didn't read it all. Are towpaths included in this? That was what I meant by land based haulage. For the boat. 

5 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Asked CRT about my possible trip passing red brook corner on the Calder and hebble as on the stoppage notice it says it’s silted up since the floods. Remind me when that was? My concern being deep drafted as I’ve struggled on many occasions. This is the reply. Not very good. Do I go or do I stay? Sent a reply asking when they intend to dredge it. Not holding my breath.

59328C4C-5DEF-4C00-A6DC-D35CEA078D68.jpeg

Hmmm. I think you're making the skoolboy error of expecting a CRT office admin on minimum wage to have the faintest idea of what a canal is. I think they've done their very best here to answer you despite their absence of boating experience, and actually done pretty well.

Hve you taken any CRT staff out boating on that scheme they have for this? 

6 hours ago, IanD said:

And replace them with what?

Any replacement for CART would have exactly the same huge problem -- to much to do, and not enough money to do it with.

No amount of getting rid of blue signs and magically being "more efficient" will fix that... 😞

Like I said, a few hundred yards walk from the bottom lock. And it's downhill on the way back, after much delicious Bathams has been consumed... 🙂

It was a joke IanD however you may be interested or even flabbergasted to know I suggested more blue signs. Yes really! But you will have to buy me a pint as you pass through Battyford to know why. 😉