Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It will be summit like that with  male to female fitting. But whats the point, as it introduces another connection, and hence another place for gas to leak from.

A reviewer says this.

But I'm still a tad confused why this would work because you still have a POL fitting on the other end. It would facilitate a quick swap at the cylinder end but that would only work if the other end didn't have a POL fitting.

Adaptor.JPG

Edited by M_JG

6 minutes ago, M_JG said:

A reviewer says this.

But I'm still a tad confused why this would work because you still have a POL fitting on the other end. It would facilitate a quick swap at the cylinder end but that would only work if the other end didn't have a POL fitting.

Adaptor.JPG

Ah, ok, I am getting my propane and butane confused. Whenever I connect to a butane bottle, it is directly with one of those cheap regulators that fit straight into the bottle..

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Ah, ok, I am getting my propane and butane confused. Whenever I connect to a butane bottle, it is directly with one of those cheap regulators that fit straight into the bottle..

Clip on?

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The 4.5 has a screw on regulator. The thread on the bottle is male. 

Note that one does not need to refer to gas type on these bottles as the propane is 3.9 and the butane is 4.5

And of course to make them differntiated for ejuts -

Propane POL is a left hand thread, whislt the Butane is a right hand thread.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

And of course to make them differntiated for ejuts -

Propane POL is a left hand thread, whislt the Butane is a right hand thread.

The thread on a 4.5kg butane is a left hand thread.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

The thread on a 4.5kg butane is a left hand thread.

I stand corrected - you are absolutey correct.

But what you have not mentioned is that whilst with Propane the cylinder has a female and the regukator / hose has a male connector it is reversed with Butane.

The regulator is female and the cylinder connection is male.

Just been to fetch one out of the shed...............................

20230123_152007[1].jpg

But we are still no further in determining why Calor would sell a hose with no purpose other than for connecting two cylinders together.

So Alan's suggestion that they sell the kit to do something they themselves do not condone would appear to be correct.

1 minute ago, Mike55 said:

A male POL to male POL hose is used in this: https://bullfinch-gas.co.uk/hose-and-fittings/hose-assemblies-and-pigtails/y-manifold-detail when connecting two bottles to one regulator via a POL manifold - see the diagram.

And if you connected a full cylinder and an empty cylinder onto the manifold (Y-piece) what would happen ?

They are obviously directly (openly) connected otherwise there wouldn't be an increase in volume availability to cater for equipment requiring a high volume of gas.

11 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

A male POL to male POL hose is used in this: https://bullfinch-gas.co.uk/hose-and-fittings/hose-assemblies-and-pigtails/y-manifold-detail when connecting two bottles to one regulator via a POL manifold - see the diagram.

👍

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And if you connected a full cylinder and an empty cylinder onto the manifold (Y-piece) what would happen ?

They are obviously directly (openly) connected otherwise there wouldn't be an increase in volume availability to cater for equipment requiring a high volume of gas.

I think the pertinent image in the link is the other one showing two cylinders connected.

Screenshot_20230123-154817_Chrome.jpg

Edited by M_JG

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe the Y piece has a NRV in it?

10 minutes ago, M_JG said:

👍

I think the pertinent image in the link is the other one showing two cylinders connected.

My point exactly.

pigtail manifold

Gas from LH cylnder goes into the Y-piece, gas from the RH cylinder goes into the Y-piece. 

There is no metion of NRVs in either the Y-piece or the Pig-tails.

If the Y-piece had a NRV fitted between the Y junction and the POL fitting then the cylinder would not fill.

y-manifold-1506.jpg

But, disconnect the 2x POL pigtail, invert one cylinder and you can now refill to your hearts content.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My point exactly.

pigtail manifold

Gas from LH cylnder goes into the Y-piece, gas from the RH cylinder goes into the Y-piece. 

There is no metion of NRVs in either the Y-piece or the Pig-tails.

If the Y-piece had a NRV fitted between the Y junction and the POL fitting then the cylinder would not fill.

y-manifold-1506.jpg

But, disconnect the 2x POL pigtail, invert one cylinder and you can now refill to your heats content.

Surely the cylinders are just venting lpg simultaneously? The idea is not to fill one from the other.

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Surely the cylinders are just venting lpg simultaneously? The idea is not to fill one from the other.

Exactly and to ensure that both are used contiguously they must have an open link.

They may be designed for providing a high volume of gas, but in effect they can do exactly what a simple pigtail between two cylinders will do.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Who did you ask? It wasn't @magnetman was it. He's already been tasked with dissecting an expansion vessel.

No, I've gone straight to  ...................................

Idiom of the day: “Straight from the horse’s mouth” = from the original ...

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly and to ensure that both are used contiguously they must have an open link.

They may be designed for providing a high volume of gas, but in effect they can do exactly what a simple pigtail between two cylinders will do.

But then there is no take off/regulator as per the pic?

Just now, M_JG said:

But then there is no take off/regulator as per the pic?

I'm not sure how else to describe it.

The Y-piece is connecting two cylinders together which then has a female thread to fit a regulator into.

The gas will flow from both cylinders and if there is a demand for gas it will go thru the regulator, if there is no demand for gas, then the two cylinders are connected via an open hose (pending answer re the NRV) and will balance themselves out.

A quick response from the manufacturer / seller :

Hello Alan

No - there is no non-return valve in this - it is a simple Y connector as most of them are as far as we are aware.

Best wishes

Bullfinch (Gas Equipment) Limited
Kings Road
Tyseley
Birmingham
B11 2AJ
Registered in England  635802
Registered office as above

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not sure how else to describe it.

The Y-piece is connecting two cylinders together which then has a female thread to fit a regulator into.

The gas will flow from both cylinders and if there is a demand for gas it will go thru the regulator, if there is no demand for gas, then the two cylinders are connected via an open hose (pending answer re the NRV) and will balance themselves out.

Right I see now

The Calor hose has an NRV in it. Calor specifically said in that answer up thread.

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

if there is no demand for gas, then the two cylinders are connected via an open hose (pending answer re the NRV) and will balance themselves out.

The pressure in the two bottles will be the same. But if the bottles are at the same temperature then the vapour pressure in each will also be the same, and there will be no transfer of gas (or liquid) between the two bottles, which will happily coexist with different amounts of liquid.