Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

Just now, MtB said:

GFY.

(Stand for "good for you", in case you were wondering.)

You asked the question how you could refill the cylinders - I explained how I do it.

Why don't you make a small investment and buy the hose and try it - you may be surprised.

You are always ready to criticise - but this time why don't you try it and then come back and say "I told you so"  or, "yes I was wrong".

Interesting the Flogas 3.9kg come in two different sizes. It's the  same with the calor 19kg. The shorter 19kg will fit in our gas locker upright with the lid closed, but the taller one won't. It may well be the same with the Flogas in the smaller locker. 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Interesting the Flogas 3.9kg come in two different sizes. It's the  same with the calor 19kg. The shorter 19kg will fit in our gas locker upright with the lid closed, but the taller one won't. It may well be the same with the Flogas in the smaller locker. 

The same with the Calor 7kg which we use in the camperVan.

A 'high rim' and a 'low rim' I had to hammer the top of the locker upwards a few mm to get the taller one to slide in

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

The same with the Calor 7kg which we use in the camperVan.

A 'high rim' and a 'low rim' I had to hammer the top of the locker upwards a few mm to get the taller one to slide in

Well, I suppose if certain calor bottles are no longer refillable by them, it's time to get the angle grinder out. 

Oh, hang on, don't the bottles belong to them, and they have a contract to fulfil. 😀

1 hour ago, MtB said:

GFY.

(Stand for "good for you", in case you were wondering.)

:giggles:

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You asked the question how you could refill the cylinders - I explained how I do it.

Why don't you make a small investment and buy the hose and try it - you may be surprised.

You are always ready to criticise - but this time why don't you try it and then come back and say "I told you so"  or, "yes I was wrong".

MtB is gas -safe. He hasn't blown anything up yet, despite his daily contact with potentially explosive systems. I know which of you I'd want to stand, moor or accidentally find myself next to.

Edited by Machpoint005
Sp.

My small Safe-fill cylinder takes 8.5 litres, that's 5 kg. I pay 79p per litre, so that is about £1.35 per kg of propane.

It is taller than the 3.9 kg Calor bottle, so won't fit the gas locker.

You pay the same per litre regardless of the bottle size.

45 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

MtB is gas -safe. He hasn't blown anything up yet, despite his daily contact with potentially explosive systems. I know which of you I'd want to stand, moor or accidentally find myself next to.

I cannot disagree with the fact he is 'gas safe registered', but as he himself says - a bit of paper proves nothing.

I know nothing about repairng boilers, but I know I have refilled dozens of gas cylinders / cartridges over the years sucessfully (despite MtBs scepticism) and 1000s of people are doing similar everyday when they fill cigarette lighters, cooker / hob lighters etc from a refill cylinder.

They seem to fill perfectly well irrespective of the 'vapour'

Why do so many suppliers supply the equipment if it cannot be done ?

UK supplier of POL to POL Hose with non-return valve.

1) UK POL Calor to UK POL Handweel Quickfit Pigtail Gas Hose - LPG Shop

2) BES do a POL to POL hose with a straight-thru (no non return valve) for cylinder to cylinder connection

Propane Pigtail Hose Assembly - 20" POL x POL - 12642 (bes.co.uk)

3) Gas Equipment direct : POL to POL Cylinder to Cylinder connecto £11.50  

PROPANE PIGTAIL HOSE ASSEMBLY 500MM ST POL - POL S/T - Gas Equipment Direct

20in-unbraided-straight-through-pigtail-assembly-pol-5-8i_min_12642_P_1.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I believe you just take them to a petrol station that sells LPG, and does not object to you filling them up, anf then fill them with the correct number of litres.

I don't do this myself but I know a man that does, works out at about half what Calor charge.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I believe you just take them to a petrol station that sells LPG, and does not object to you filling them up, anf then fill them with the correct number of litres.

I don't do this myself but I know a man that does, works out at about half what Calor charge.

There are two ways to do it.

1 - A safefill cylinder which is designed to be filled from an auto gas LPG pump. Most places will let you do this as the safefill system prevents overfill.

2 - A standard Calor or other make cylinder filled from an autogas LPG pump using an adaptor available on eBay. Most places will not let you do this as there is no mechanism to prevent over fill.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

............but I know I have refilled dozens of gas cylinders / cartridges over the years sucessfully (despite MtBs scepticism) and 1000s of people are doing similar everyday when they fill cigarette lighters, cooker / hob lighters etc from a refill cylinder.

They seem to fill perfectly well irrespective of the 'vapour'...............

Of course, one of the differences is that others do it in a well ventilated space. And I don't think its fair to compare refilling lighters because the quantities are so much lower, the risk of building up explosive vapour is minute. On a boat, it obviously has a hull which is, by design, watertight so its also gas-tight to vapours more dense than air. The supporting of the 45kg cylinder etc would NEED to be done on a bankside, with improvised support methods, since the boater is unlikely to have the facilities you might have at a caravan park, or other suitable stuff on the towpath or a marina jetty, etc.

52 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Of course, one of the differences is that others do it in a well ventilated space. And I don't think its fair to compare refilling lighters because the quantities are so much lower, the risk of building up explosive vapour is minute. On a boat, it obviously has a hull which is, by design, watertight so its also gas-tight to vapours more dense than air. The supporting of the 45kg cylinder etc would NEED to be done on a bankside, with improvised support methods, since the boater is unlikely to have the facilities you might have at a caravan park, or other suitable stuff on the towpath or a marina jetty, etc.

To repeat - I'm not  arguing that it needs doing safely, carefully and correctly, my argument is with somone who says "it canot be done" when I know it can be done, I have done it and many 1000s of others have done it.

The principle (not the risk) is exactly the same irrespective of if you are filling a lighter, or a 3.9kg cylinder. If the 'vapours' stops you filling the 3.9kg cylinder it will stop you filling a cigarette lighter.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All (UK) Propane use the POL connectors. Yes you can use any manufacturer - its all the same gas inside.

Currently a 47kg cylinder is ~£90 ( £1.90/kg) whilst a 3.9kg cylinder is ~£27 ( £7.90 / kg)

If you can invert a 47kg cylinder you can save a fortune.

LPG from the petrol station. 90ppl.

Why not just invest in safe fill bottles and fill them safely at the petrol station?

Gaslow do 2.7kg bottles which are the Camping Gaz 907 equivalent.

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Why not just invest in safe fill bottles and fill them safely at the petrol station?

Safefill seems an obvious solution, for those boats where their bottle fits into the existing gas locker (Safefill don't seem to have directly equivalent sizes to Calor). But there's plenty of boats out there which won't be able to take Safefill. So there's Flogas. 

Both will need the boater to visit a garage or other gas supplier, which aren't necessarily canalside.

The other option is to have the boat modified to accept the larger Calor cylinder(s).

Edited by Paul C

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Safefill seems an obvious solution, for those boats where their bottle fits into the existing gas locker (Safefill don't seem to have directly equivalent sizes to Calor). But there's plenty of boats out there which won't be able to take Safefill. So there's Flogas. 

Both will need the boater to visit a garage or other gas supplier, which aren't necessarily canalside.

The other option is to have the boat modified to accept the larger Calor cylinder(s).

Gaslow bottles are available in 2.7kg, 6kg and 11kg.

Damn. I built the gas locker on Bee in the front deck, takes two 4.5 kg calor bottles and there is no space to change the size of the locker. It;s either a lash up with a bigger bottle tied to the anchor winch with string or refilling 4.5kg bottles somehow.

Just now, Bee said:

Damn. I built the gas locker on Bee in the front deck, takes two 4.5 kg calor bottles and there is no space to change the size of the locker. It;s either a lash up with a bigger bottle tied to the anchor winch with string or refilling 4.5kg bottles somehow.

The lash up method is the one I have opted for, but it's far from ideal. It's not possible to easily adapt our gas locker either, but it may be possible to locate a 13kg in another locker with the associated gas pipe modifications. 

If I am forced to change supplier, I will do so on all my calor bottles. 

My calor gas man said that he thought they would still be supplying refills of the small bottles if you have your own empty. Basically the withdrawal involves no longer supplying the small bottle for "rental". 

I don't know if this is accurate but it makes sense. Obvious problem being that they could gradually just condemn the bottles and not put them back into circulation anyway. 

Look out for overfilled bottles ! Careful with the matches !

https://www.calor.co.uk/cylinder-range-faq

https://www.calor.co.uk/news-and-views/press-release-cylinder-range

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

My calor gas man said that he thought they would still be supplying refills of the small bottles if you have your own empty. Basically the withdrawal involves no longer supplying the small bottle for "rental". 

I don't know if this is accurate but it makes sense. Obvious problem being that they could gradually just condemn the bottles and not put them back into circulation anyway. 

Look out for overfilled bottles ! Careful with the matches !

"From 1st February 2023, the Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane will be discontinued. This means that customers  won’t be able to buy new cylinders or exchange existing cylinders of these sizes for a refill." 

Edited by rusty69

I like the blurb as to the reasons. 

I think I can see what is happening here. It happened to me when my cooker started issuing liquid from the burner. 

People have basically been filling these little bottles themselves and selling them to customers.

Not a lot of effort has gone into ensuring they are not overfilled. Dangerous situation.

Problems will occur and Calor don't want to be associated with it so the small bottles are being officially discontinued. 

My theory. Nothing to do with supply chains it is arse covering. 

Look out !

12 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I've used an LPG POL adapter for years, as long as you make sure the bottles to be filled are empty and you stop filling at the calculated amount it's fine.  Never had anyone at a petrol station complain or say anything...

It will depend on the attendant knowing and enforcing company policy or even noticing.

There have been reports on caravan forums of people even being refused refills on Safefill bottles despite them being specifically designed for that purpose. Usually because the member of staff is unaware of this or the company has a blanket 'no refill' policy.