Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

There was a shortage of the small bottles during the med panic when we had the covids. At the time I was convinced that this was people hoarding and refilling the smaller bottles manually to save money.

If that was the case (3.9 and 4.5 were extortionately expensive "from Calor") then they may simply have spotted a potential problem on the horizon about accidents and decided the best way to steer clear of any claims is to officially discontinue that particular size. 

Plus the bottles themselves are not getting any younger. 

Maybe it was a materials thing and cost of replacing old bottles. 

Whatever it was there are going to be Calor 3.9 and 4.5 bottles around for a while longer and some accidents coming. 

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There was a shortage of the small bottles during the med panic when we had the covids. At the time I was convinced that this was people hoarding and refilling the smaller bottles manually to save money.

If that was the case (3.9 and 4.5 were extortionately expensive "from Calor") then they may simply have spotted a potential problem on the horizon about accidents and decided the best way to steer clear of any claims is to officially discontinue that particular size. 

Plus the bottles themselves are not getting any younger. 

Maybe it was a materials thing and cost of replacing old bottles. 

Whatever it was there are going to be Calor 3.9 and 4.5 bottles around for a while longer and some accidents coming. 

Unless they have been collecting and destroying the returned bottles when people exchange for a different sized bottle, what's to stop people claiming that anyway? 

By removing the 'properly refilled' bottles, presumably they have exasperated the situation. 

There is absolutely no point me exchanging my 3.9 or 4.5 for a larger bottle that won't fit the locker, so the bottles will be out there for years to come.

Who's to say if they are old bottles filled by Calor or bottles filled at home by Colin. 

Eta. The cost of refilling the smaller bottle was always pro rata more expensive than the larger ones. I assumed this took into account such things as additional time filling /transporting/bottle replacement. 

If it was a supply chain issue due to covid, does that suggest the chain is irreparable. 

Edited by rusty69

It is this size which is far more likely to be home filled because they are so expensive "from Calor" and they as so easy to carry about. 

By far the most handy size of gas bottle IF they are cheap. Home filled = cheap. Could it be as simple as someone in the supply chain nicking Calor's profits?

Yes I suppose Calor may have been withdrawing the bottles to create a shortage. Two ways of looking at it and it is all supposition anyway. 

One of my boats was designed for 3.9 size but the holders can also take the 6kg as there is no height restriction.

6kg is the same diameter as the 3.9. propane. 

Base ring is a different size. 

Flogas seem to still do the small bottles but again the base ring looks to be different so if the locker / holder is designed around Calor 3.9 then it's going to have to be Colin. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

One of my boats was designed for 3.9 size but the holders can also take the 6kg as there is no height restriction.

I can't speak for all sailboats, but ours is designed to take one that has a ring of a certain size at its base. Presumably to stop it moving about when under way. I don't know if Flogas use the same dimensions, but it would be very difficult to resize that ring. The alternative would be to put an artificial base on, and pack the bottle in, which of course would make it higher, so probably wouldn't fit anyway. 

The obvious solution is to remake the whole locker to take a bigger bottle, but that then loses leg room in the quarter berth. 

Or use campingaz

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I can't speak for all sailboats, but ours is designed to take one that has a ring of a certain size at its base. Presumably to stop it moving about when under way. I don't know if Flogas use the same dimensions, but it would be very difficult to resize that ring. The alternative would be to put an artificial base on, and pack the bottle in, which of course would make it higher, so probably wouldn't fit anyway. 

The obvious solution is to remake the whole locker to take a bigger bottle, but that then loses leg room in the quarter berth. 

Or use campingaz

In our case its headroom in the same place , any which way it is not possible to make the locker any bigger, I think Calor also recommends campingaz  but the price of that stuff is frightening. Somebody, somewhere will try refilling bottles with some old garden hose and yards of sticky tape wrapped round the ends and blow themselves up.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It's going to be even more common soon. There must be thousands of small sailing boats (ours included) that will only take the 3.9 or 4.5 calor bottles. 

It's a very short sighted, and poor excuse that Calor have come out with. I hope someone plugs the gap to supply 'professionally' filled bottles of the same dimensions. 

Flogas already provide a 3.9kg bottle to nearly the same dimensions; they do two sizes, one which is about the same height as Calor 3.9, the other is a little taller but not much. I think they're both about the same width as Calor.

Just now, Philip said:

Flogas already provide a 3.9kg bottle to nearly the same dimensions; they do two sizes, one which is about the same height as Calor 3.9, the other is a little taller but not much. I think they're both about the same width as Calor.

That will be ideal if the base ring is the same size. 

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That will be ideal if the base ring is the same size. 

It is bigger on the Flogas bottles. 

Could one not open out the hole in the locker that the base ring sits in with a jigsaw? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think calor could at least allow an exchange for any size bottle in their range, as opposed to limiting it. 

You can exchange 'within the family group' so you can swap you 3.9 for a 7kg (for example)

Screenshot (1840).png

2 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Whats the method for "home" refilling ?

Read back thru this thread I have posted it a few times.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It is bigger on the Flogas bottles. 

Could one not open out the hole in the locker that the base ring sits in with a jigsaw? 

Probably yes, but it would remove the glass fibre, and ideally need re glassing or epoxying over. Care would also need to be taken not to cut through the base. 

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can exchange 'within the family group' so you can swap you 3.9 for a 7kg (for example)

Screenshot (1840).png

Read back thru this thread I have posted it a few times.

Exactly. I have no use for the next size up, but I could use a 13 or 19 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Someone will want your 3.9/4.5. presumably the price of these empty bottles is about to start moving upwards. You can find an empty 13 or 19 somewhere like fleabay. 

I don't actually need the larger size, but it would be nice if they offered the alternative as they are causing huge disruption. 

I will likely fill my own unless the Flogas cylinders fit. 

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Someone will want your 3.9/4.5. presumably the price of these empty bottles is about to start moving upwards. You can find an empty 13 or 19 somewhere like fleabay. 

Find a Gippo camp and when they move on there will be several in the hedge bottom.

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

It wont affect many on here but the other cylinder being withdrawn is the Calor Lite version.

Popular with caravanners.

The confusion being that on their website Calor are saying they will exchange it for a 3.9kg cylinder.

6kg CalorLite® Propane gas bottle

The 6kg CalorLite®gas bottle is no longer available to purchase online. There is limited refill stock available through our network of retailers. To check specific availability in your area, contact your local Calor outlet using our helpful Find a retailer tool. You can also call Calor Gas direct 0800 662 663 if you have any specific questions about our cylinder range

Existing 6kg CalorLite customers can freely exchange their cylinder for the standard 6kg cylinder or a 3.9kg cylinder - which normally weighs slightly less than a 6kg lite when both are full. These cylinders are widely available and may be purchased online.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The confusion being that on their website Calor are saying they will exchange it for a 3.9kg cylinder.

6kg CalorLite® Propane gas bottle

The 6kg CalorLite®gas bottle is no longer available to purchase online. There is limited refill stock available through our network of retailers. To check specific availability in your area, contact your local Calor outlet using our helpful Find a retailer tool. You can also call Calor Gas direct 0800 662 663 if you have any specific questions about our cylinder range

Existing 6kg CalorLite customers can freely exchange their cylinder for the standard 6kg cylinder or a 3.9kg cylinder - which normally weighs slightly less than a 6kg lite when both are full. These cylinders are widely available and may be purchased online.

We gave up trying to find one ages ago as they have become increasingly difficult to locate.

We just carry a single 6kg in the locker.

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't actually need the larger size, but it would be nice if they offered the alternative as they are causing huge disruption. 

I will likely fill my own unless the Flogas cylinders fit. 

The problem with switching to flogas is that they do not have such an extensive country-wide distribution network.

With Calor you can go to pretty much any petrol station, farm supplies shop, etc etc and they will have Calor.

The Flogas bottle looks to be taller and less 'dumpy' than the Calor bottle - it may just be picture distortion

3.9kg Propane Gas Cylinder

The other problem is that Flogas 'new product range' already introduced in Ireland is that 'small cylinders' have been dropped :

Product Range

Flogas offers a comprehensive range of butane and propane cylinders. Butane cylinders range from 7kg to 11.34kg, while propane cylinders range from 10.89kg through to 47kg, with patio gas and forklift truck cylinders also available. While all our cylinders meets stringent health and safety guidelines, Flogas use secure tamper-proof cylinder seals (Securiseal) for Flogas Butane and Propane cylinders. Such seals are a sign of a quality product and a guarantee that the cylinder is full and has been tested to the highest standards. We can also provide expertise and support for those dealers wishing to expand their business by offering appliance sales.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The problem with switching to flogas is that they do not have such an extensive country-wide distribution network.

With Calor you can go to pretty much any petrol station, farm supplies shop, etc etc and they will have Calor.

The other problem is that Flogas 'new product range' already introduced in Ireland is that 'small cylinders' have been dropped :

Product Range

Flogas offers a comprehensive range of butane and propane cylinders. Butane cylinders range from 7kg to 11.34kg, while propane cylinders range from 10.89kg through to 47kg, with patio gas and forklift truck cylinders also available. While all our cylinders meets stringent health and safety guidelines, Flogas use secure tamper-proof cylinder seals (Securiseal) for Flogas Butane and Propane cylinders. Such seals are a sign of a quality product and a guarantee that the cylinder is full and has been tested to the highest standards. We can also provide expertise and support for those dealers wishing to expand their business by offering appliance sales.

Well, you don't think I will be filling my calor gas bottle with gas supplied by calor, do you?😀

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Well, you don't think I will be filling my calor gas bottle with gas supplied by calor, do you?😀

But they are NOT your bottles are they, they remain the property of Calor (as proven by the court cases where some have been sold on ebay that have been cut up to make BBQs.)