Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

I can see a few training sessions for petrol station staff coming soon pertaining to this matter. 

Surely there will be large increase in this type of behaviour because the small bottles are just so handy. 

A license to print clicks. 

I was always under the impression that the bottles were inspected by calor prior to being refilled. Whether just a visual inspection, I don't know. I can't imagine they were pressure tested, or perhaps they weren't tested at all. 

It does raise the question though about when these bottles have reached their useful life span, and how that is determined, particularly the self fill type. 

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I was always under the impression that the bottles were inspected by calor prior to being refilled. Whether just a visual inspection, I don't know. I can't imagine they were pressure tested, or perhaps they weren't tested at all. 

It does raise the question though about when these bottles have reached their useful life span, and how that is determined, particularly the self fill type. 

Safefill put a 10 year life expectancy on theirs. After which they say they should be replaced. Dont know about the others.

18 hours ago, Philip said:

Does anyone know if the Campingaz 907 2.75kg cylinder would fit the same space occupied by 1 or 2 Propane 3.9s?

I am sure  the 907, which I use , is  smaller. 

The downside of the 907 is the refill cost which is around £38 

I am thinking of going with home refilling from a bigger cylinder.

17 hours ago, MtB said:

I don't buy any of that. The vapour pressure in each bottle will be the same so any liquid transfer that happens at all will be glacially slow as the vapour in the lower bottle needs to condense to accept liquid from the upper. 

There are kits to do this on ebay - they come with various end fittings depending on the cylinders involved

The donor cylinder has to be raised above the cylinder to be filled . 

The danger is over filling .

I haven't tried it myself yet

Image below  off youtube which seems to me highly dangerous. I would have thought its a job to do outdoors and  well away from buildings.

image.png.1cb179dfa7bef541ab7f6c3737aab81a.png

Edited by MartynG

16 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Apparently Morrison’s is pulling out of the market.

Which will still leave loads of retailers to choose from.

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

More reasons to fit solar and lithium batteries and use an induction hob on the boat?

That's all well and good. What about the oven?

90% oc our cooking on the van is in the oven.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Which will still leave loads of retailers to choose from.

That's all well and good. What about the oven?

90% oc our cooking on the van is in the oven.

If you've got enough electrical power/battery capacity to run an induction hob, you've probably got enough to run an electric oven -- though maybe not both at the same time.

Whether you have a suitable means of replacing the power used (solar, generator...) is another matter entirely... 😉

Going entirely gas-free is *very* expensive if you do it purely to replace gas cooking, it doesn't really make sense. If you already have the electric/battery/charger capability for other reasons (e.g. hybrid drive) then it's a no-brainer... 🙂

24 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There are kits to do this on ebay - they come with various end fittings depending on the cylinders involved

Image below  off youtube which seems to me highly dangerous. I would have thought its a job to do outdoors and  well away from buildings.

That looks like an American bottle with the vapour vent I keep mentioning. The vent missing from UK bottles. 

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

LPG from the petrol station. 90ppl.

Why not just invest in safe fill bottles and fill them safely at the petrol station?

Gaslow do 2.7kg bottles which are the Camping Gaz 907 equivalent.

At the petrol station are you allowed to walk up with a loose  cylinder and refill it? 

As opposed to your van which presumably has a fitted  external fill point for the autogas.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

At the petrol station are you allowed to walk up with a loose  cylinder and refill it? 

As opposed to your van which presumably has a fitted  external fill point for the autogas.

Yes provided it is a Safefill bottle with the correct filling adapter. We often see people filling them when we hold to refill the van.

We will be getting a Gaslow bottle for the bbq once our current Patio gas bottle has run out this year.

We don't touch the bottles on the van. There is an external filler point for refilling. No more lugging bottles around.

Edited by Naughty Cal

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Yes if it's a Safefill type. Most LPG equipped stations will let you fill them. You may be asked to show the attendant it's a genuine Safefill cylinder before they activate the pump. 

Cross post with NC

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I did this as a teenager when I didn't know better.

I can't see too many people investing in Alan's dodgy hoses and flapping around with 47kg bottles. 

I CAN see an uptake in the safe, refillable bottles such as Safefill and Gaslow, at least for those with a car and not too far away from a local petrol station which has an LPG pump too (which aren't that common, after all). I dare say, with there being so few, the ones that do exist do a steady trade in it. There's still LPG cars and others eg RVs with fixed tanks etc.