Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I guess its how risk adverse you are? But if there is indeed a way of getting them pressure tested and certified safe at 10 years you might indeed be OK.

When I got mine years ago there was no real customer service. Now I believe you have to register with them so they can keep updated records. Will email them to see what the procedure is.👍

24 minutes ago, Paul C said:

That they're available on eBay etc, is remarkable but unsurprising.

Agreed - you never know what the Chinese stuff is like - but surely when Calor Gas sell them directly that should say something ? (Although there will no doubt be those on the forum who say Calor Gas do not sell them).

Calor Essentials 0.75m (30") POL x POL Standard Hose | Hoses and Pigtails | Calor Gas Appliances

Calor Essentials 0.75 (30") POL x POL Armoured Hose | Hoses & Pigtails | Calor Gas Appliances

Would they sell them if transfer couldn't be done?

Would they encourage the use of them if it was as dangerous as some of the forum experts suggest ?

If not for transfer, why do they sell them ?

From the Questions section on the first link 

Will this coupling allow bottle a to bottle connection to fill a 15kg bottle from a 50kg.

Hi Jim, no all our pigtails are fitted with non-return valves as filling bottles this way is not allowed. Thank you for using Q&A.

Answered 2 years ago

Edited by magnetman

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed - you never know what the Chinese stuff is like - but surely when Calor Gas sell them directly that should say something ? (Although there will no doubt be those on the forum who say Calor Gas do not sell them).

Calor Essentials 0.75m (30") POL x POL Standard Hose | Hoses and Pigtails | Calor Gas Appliances

Calor Essentials 0.75 (30") POL x POL Armoured Hose | Hoses & Pigtails | Calor Gas Appliances

Would they sell them if transfer couldn't be done?

Would they encourage the use of them if it was as dangerous as some of the forum experts suggest ?

If not for transfer, why do they sell them ?

Sorry Alan but the Q&A bit says this.

Screenshot_20230122-203126_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Although to be fair if it has a NRV could you not just turn it round the other way ? 

Possibly/probably but that shows that Calor do not endorse the practice.

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Sorry Alan but the Q&A bit says this.

Screenshot_20230122-203126_Chrome.jpg

The one I got from calor does not have non-return valves - anyway if both ends had a non-return valve, gas would not flow thru it. and it would be pretty useless apart from filling 30" of rubber pipe with gas.

I think their answer is probably from the marketing department given the 'stock answer'( that they don't want anyone filling their cylinder 'on the cheap').

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would think so. But if not for connecting two bottles together, what else might they be used for? 

Dont some regulators have a female fitting?

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Possibly/probably but that shows that Calor do not endorse the practice.

Certainly but it is quite funny that they say a NRV will prevent it. I don't see how that can be the case if both the ends have the same fitting on them. 

Maybe it is a two way non return valve ? Oops

42 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The problem with smaller bottles is, as the convenience/manhandling becomes easier, the relative cost per unit of gas increases, so the overall benefit remains roughly the same. I dare say some will try it off 19 or 13s but they will be the amateur at-home with the inverted bottle sitting on a garden wall/bench etc, seeking max economy and not bothering with scales to ensure not overfilling. Some others might invest a bit more effort into eg shelving or a stand or support for a 47, maybe lifting it with assistance onto it etc. Either way, just the hose wreaks of cost-cutting with little or no consideration of safety. That they're available on eBay etc, is remarkable but unsurprising.

The likes of Safefill are in a different league.

We hung them upside down from a beam in the barn the receiving bottle on the floor

What about this one ? 

https://www.bes.co.uk/commercial-industrial-regulator-3-4in-f-x-f-6292/

F x F type 

(I think it might be smaller thread size though)

IMG_20230122_204707.jpg.b093c1b2d125f5c8034cbc111d89001c.jpg

[Img]https://www.bes.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/a744fe99fbf79cfc7a19c7221f75fc88/c/o/commercial-industrial-regulator-3-4in-f-x-f_min_6292_P_1.jpg[/img]

Edited by magnetman

18 hours ago, MtB said:

I find myself wondering if there really IS a dip tube to a certain depth. This could allow Calor to overfill each bottle up to a test pressure for strength testing, then they draw off the overfilled liquid until the level drops to the point when vapour starts to show. Then the bottle is ready for resale.

Just a theory, but I bet it is close to the mark. 

There's no internal pipe in ordinary propane/butane cylinders, you will only find this in those supplied for use on forklift trucks as they are liquid offtake.

• Greenie 1

Just now, BWM said:

There's no internal pipe in ordinary propane/butane cylinders, you will only find this in those supplied for use on forklift trucks as they are liquid offtake.

Do you know why the "80% rule" about filling is in place? Would an overfilled bottle allow liquid to the regulator or is it a pressure thing ? 

I'm under the impression it could allow liquid out but this could well be wrong. 

17 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I would think so. But if not for connecting two bottles together, what else might they be used for? 

They are used to connect groups of four 47kg cylinders together for mobile home/domestic set ups and i'm certain they do not contain non return valves, almost certainly they said this to put the questioner off self filling.

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Do you know why the "80% rule" about filling is in place? Would an overfilled bottle allow liquid to the regulator or is it a pressure thing ? 

I'm under the impression it could allow liquid out but this could well be wrong. 

The space is needed to allow the liquid to vapourise into a useable substance as the liquid would be unsuitable for appliances and have no pressure. 

30 minutes ago, BWM said:

They are used to connect groups of four 47kg cylinders together for mobile home/domestic set ups and i'm certain they do not contain non return valves, almost certainly they said this to put the questioner off self filling.

Having a static caravan site where it is common to have banks of 2 to 4 x 47kg cylinders I can assure you that they are not used to connect banks together,

The hoses under discussion are POL fitting at both ends - so if you connect 2 cylinders together there is nowhere for the gas to 'go'.

The hose used to connect 'banks' of cylinders into the multiway regulator have a POL fitting on one end and a totally different fitting on the other end.

Example of the 2-way changeover valve

Calor TR800 Automatic Changeover Propane Gas Regulator Kit with OPSO, 601295

And the 4-way kit to produce 'banks' :

Calor Essentials 4 Cylinder OPSO Upgrade Kit | Changeover Valves & Accessories | Calor Gas Appliances

Calor 4 Cylinder OPSO Upgrade Kit

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Having a static caravan site where it is common to have banks of 2 to 4 x 47kg cylinders I can assure you that they are not used to connect banks together,

The hoses under discussion are POL fitting at both ends - so if you connect 2 cylinders together there is nowhere for the gas to 'go'.

The hose used to connect 'banks' of cylinders into the multiway regulator have a POL fitting on one end and a totally different fitting on the other end.

Example of the 2-way changeover valve

Calor TR800 Automatic Changeover Propane Gas Regulator Kit with OPSO, 601295

And the 4-way kit to produce 'banks' :

Calor Essentials 4 Cylinder OPSO Upgrade Kit | Changeover Valves & Accessories | Calor Gas Appliances

Calor 4 Cylinder OPSO Upgrade Kit

That is the type of regulator and hose we have. The only way I can see the use of a POL on each end (if not used for connecting two bottle together for transfer purposes) is if a different regulator is available, or some kind of adapter that will accept the POL fitting and fit on the regulator, which I really can't see much point in having.

• Greenie 1