Broken window, need replacement.

Featured Posts

We have two caravan style windows at the front of our boat. Today one shattered (toughened glass so nothing left) perhaps as a result of temperature changes. We now need either new glass or a complete new window.

The glass is rectangular but with rounded corners at the bottom. I am thinking that this makes replacement more difficult

I would welcome any advice on procuring new glass or a whole new window, with prompt delivery a priority. I already have a temporary repair in place.

We are in Kinver on the Staffs and Worcs.

I have been in touch with Channel Glaze but they are shut until the new year.

Thanks.

Have you got the exact size??

Either of the complete window, or the pane itself. Wesley, Channelglaze and Cauldwells pretty much use the same arc at the bottom of the windows. Most have an 8 week wait for new windows, but can probably supply a panel quicker.

We have lots of old windows stored...for a rainy day..

Make a cardboard template.  Take it to a local glazier ( uPVC replacement windows Supplier) and ask for a piece to be cut and toughened.  One of the old chips will give you the thickness required Most places can chemically toughen these days, and it does not take as long as heat toughened.

Replace the rubber string  seals- new ones from seals direct.

You will need to remove and  dismantle the frame to fit the new glass.  Go canny.  The screws holding the frame together are small and easily stripped.  Distorting the frame means it will never seal properly.

Seal the frame back in with closed cell foam strip, or butyl sealant.  Do not use Silicone sealants.

N

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

Could it be replaced with laminated glass?  They can but that straight away to your pattern - I don't know if it is a requirement for the gas to be toughened rather than laminated but thought I'd just mention it anyway.

Excellent suggestion! 

I'm surprised no-one has suggested it before...

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Problem is laminated glass is thicker than toughened so doesn't fit in the frame.

I found this out the hard way 🥱

good point. But surely that depends on what thickness laminated glass you ordered! 

A brief Goggle suggests laminated glass is available down to 5mm. I think NB windows are likely to be either 4mm or 5mm toughened glass. 

59 minutes ago, MtB said:

good point. But surely that depends on what thickness laminated glass you ordered! 

A brief Goggle suggests laminated glass is available down to 5mm. I think NB windows are likely to be either 4mm or 5mm toughened glass. 

I would be surprised if NB windows were 5mm more likely to be 4mm or even 3mm..

The laminated I used in my front windows was 6mm as that was the thinnest available at the time.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I would be surprised if NB windows were 5mm more likely to be 4mm or even 3mm..

The laminated I used in my front windows was 6mm as that was the thinnest available at the time.

There a plenty of firms offering 5mm laminated now. But I do find myself wondering if "5mm laminated" actually means two layers of 5mm glass plus 0.5mm of reinforcing film, totalling 10.5mm.

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Perspex or similar might be available locally to get you through the silly season. Sacrifice longevity for ease of cutting when choosing what compound.

Or the time-honoured and quickest of all, a bin liner stuck on with duct tape...

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, MtB said:

There a plenty of firms offering 5mm laminated now. But I do find myself wondering if "5mm laminated" actually means two layers of 5mm glass plus 0.5mm of reinforcing film, totalling 10.5mm.

No, 5mm is the total thickness, when i used cut glass you could get laminated in 4.4mm.

• Greenie 1

As Seadog says. B&Q will have perspex, type stuff. you can saw it to size with a fine saw held at a shallow angle and the rounded corners can be roughly cut with a hacksaw and filed. Beware electric jigsaws, too violent. Or just silicone an oversize piece onto the frame and leave it till next year.

• Greenie 2

Our top drop back section of Worcester Marine Windows (long gone) shattered after I believe someone fell against the window, fitted a Perspex temporary panel, ok it lasted about 4 years before it went very dull. Local glass company made me a replacement with hole in toughened glass for £35.