Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

That's not the point. I don't claim to be saving the planet . Like you do.

image.png.153270de7550e8afceb12a1806795d76.png

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

image.png.88808650c4aa98f75899bc87cc3fa092.png

I try, my boat is electric so is clean to use, solar provides for 8 months of the year hot water and fuel for cooking. I have 3 electric vehicles, one with solar on the roof for charging  the other 2 can be charged from the boat solar. Yes I have a generator and a diesel campervan I use HVO which I thought was cleaner than diesel but it has its own problems. 

My heating is predominantly wood, again I try, in reality someone who is small minded can always find fault, perhaps other members on here are right about certain forum members?

Thanks to those members 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

I try, my boat is electric so is clean to use, solar provides for 8 months of the year hot water and fuel for cooking. I have 3 electric vehicles, one with solar on the roof for charging  the other 2 can be charged from the boat solar. Yes I have a generator and a diesel campervan I use HVO which I thought was cleaner than diesel but it has its own problems. 

My heating is predominantly wood, again I try, in reality someone who is small minded can always find fault, perhaps other members on here are right about certain forum members?

Thanks to those members 

I see hypocrites buying electric boats quite often, unlike yourself Peter who is trying by also having EV’s for daily use, they still have diesel estates/4x4’s and travel hundreds of miles to view the build progress of their new “Silent Eco Friendly” boat. They even go on Social Media telling everyone how brilliant Eco boating is while not mentioning still having a diesel vehicle. Maybe they think in having an electric boat it cancels out their big Diesel vehicle pollution?  

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

I see hypocrites buying electric boats quite often, unlike yourself Peter who is trying by also having EV’s for daily use, they still have diesel estates/4x4’s and travel hundreds of miles to view the build progress of their new “Silent Eco Friendly” boat. They even go on Social Media telling everyone how brilliant Eco boating is while not mentioning still having a diesel vehicle. Maybe they think in having an electric boat it cancels out their big Diesel vehicle pollution?  

Whatever people drive, I think it just makes sense these days to go for an electric boat, without even considering the eco factor, which one can argue about till the methane producing cows come home, if you take into account stuff like batteries, steel, construction costs and so on.

Peter was a bit of a pioneer - I remember being baffled by the whole idea when he mentioned it first and having to be educated somewhat. But anyone who these days thinks they might be boating in thirty years time, surely would consider a bit of relatively free power over ever more costly diesel?

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Boating, apart from maybe in a wooden rowing boat, isn't and can never be truly described as environmentally friendly no matter how you go about it but it is possible to make it less damaging.

Keith 

???

csm_bavaria-sy-cruiserline-overview-cruiser37_61eaa58f0b.jpg

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd bet it has an engine.

RYA statistcs show that sailing boats use the engine for over 50% of the time cruising (except when on long distance - trans Atlantic for example - where you cannot carry enough fuel)

Yes but its possible to move the thing without.

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Interestingly London VTS always use the term "Roger" to confirm. It is not official language for VHF use but the most professional of the bunch use it all the time..

The guys in Norfolk all say "Roger that" 

Vary rarely say "out" 

19 hours ago, M_JG said:

But you make a living out of ensuring older and very inefficient gas  boilers keep working.

In the green stakes I would say that makes you a hypocrite too.

Only making a general point about the hypocrisy here, just quoted you as an example. 

It's borderline impossible to live in this world without creating some sort of pollution, carbon dioxide being the current obsession, but the curious thing here is Mike by maintaining older boilers and Peter with his drive for renewable power are both making a positive difference, how much is difficult to say but the cry of hypocrisy in my opinion is unfair and quite frankly until there are practical alternatives to the coal and diesel that Peter uses pointless.

• Greenie 4