Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Indeed. Remember, MJG is effectively "out of the game" for 8 years and counting; and his hobby is internet forums. Others have boating as a hobby or lifestyle and are more directly involved in the subject matter.

Fishing for likes Paul?

There is no requirement to be a boat owner to participate in this forum (for the umpteenth time).

And from where I sit the number of people on here who do actualy have a boat is diminishing quite quickly.

Edited by M_JG

The comments have little/no weight or basis and can effectively be ignored; or at least taken with a pinch of salt. Indeed, perhaps it was wrong for me to single out one poster, there are a number who are no longer involved in narrowboating any more on here. Of course there is no requirement to actually own a canal boat, it goes without saying.

31 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I do think you have become somewhat of a punching bag for the cry of hypocrisy and it's unpleasant and wrong, yes you can be a touch evangelical about the subject but good for you, this place is mostly the better of the presence of those that actually do the stuff rather than talk about it

Thanks 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

When I first moved on board I was horrified at civil radio procedure, we in the forces were much more rigid, I suppose when I radioed a lock on the trent they wouldn't know what I was on about?

Hello zero this is one radio check over

I did both ppl and nautical VHF  radio procedures. Practices do vary a bit regionally and locally.

It's good practice to provide the channel you are working on, and Channel zero is used only by lifeboats/coastguard Comms, so I'd avoid that zero business., It sounds like a local airfield radio check.

As you know, you can't end a broadcast with Roger, which means I understood, you have to say either over OR out.

I use Roger or Roger That if only one main point, but if two or more then " Roger All That" .

Changing channel is important so I'd repeat instructions.

On the Trent, I found the boat radio equipment was not really up to the job, but a mobile phone was better.

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's good practice to provide the channel you are working on, and Channel zero is used only by lifeboats/coastguard Comms, so I'd avoid that zero business.,

You cannot get channel "0" on a marine VHF Unless you can provide evidence that you are legally allowed to use it in which case the manufacturer can add it.

You can of course buy a £5 Baofeng radio, add all of the Ham 2 metre channels, all of the Aircraft VHF channels and the marin VHF channels (even the channel 0)  by simply programming the required frequencies via some freely available software - but - it is of course illegal to both do so, and to use.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Snowman, this is the bandit. You got your ears on? Comeback. 

[siren blares out of Bandit's CB] You know who that is? That be the Evel Knievel. He snuck in my back door when I wasn't lookin'. You better flip-flop back here and gimme' a hand, son, or we gonna be in a heap of trouble. Please roger that transmission!

• Haha 1

I was 'Hypodermic', not because I was a drug user but at the height of CB popularity I was a District Nurse.

Came in quite usefull for work as a few of us had a set, but of course we couldnt discuss patients due to it being open to anybody.

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I was 'Hypodermic', not because I was a drug user but at the height of CB popularity I was a District Nurse.

Came in quite usefull for work as a few of us had a set, but of course we couldnt discuss patients due to it being open to anybody.

Your handle was ' hypordermic'?

Is that cos you get under peoples skin?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You cannot get channel "0" on a marine VHF Unless you can provide evidence that you are legally allowed to use it in which case the manufacturer can add it.

That's interesting, some years ago we had an American drilling company rent some handhelds marine band radios for using on their rig. One day we got a call from Gorleston as the lifeboat were picking up the rig transmissions on their channel.  Not bad for a handheld portable 35 miles offshore. 

My and my Brother had a set when we were kids, we managed to find a channel that was used by the local taxi firm, caused absolute havoc for a while until they worked out we were the kids with the bloody great CB Ariel on the shed roof! 

My handle was Chuck D (from public enemy) 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's interesting, some years ago we had an American drilling company rent some handhelds marine band radios for using on their rig. One day we got a call from Gorleston as the lifeboat were picking up the rig transmissions on their channel.  Not bad for a handheld portable 35 miles offshore. 

Not surprising as VHF is line of sight - if the VHF was 'high up ' on a rig, and the Lifeboat at Gorleston was fairly high then 35 miles is more than possible on less power than a marine hand held has.

Channel Zero is only reserved for the Coastguard / Life boats in the UK - it is a 'standard' channel on US and Canadian marine VHF

"0" is a simplex VHF channel on 156.00 Mhz FM

There are other SAR frequencies :

SAR1 147.34375 147.49375 0.15000 D MCA for Land based SAR
SAR2 155.34375 155.35625 0.01250 D Land based SAR - Scotland Only
SAR3 155.96250 155.98750 0.02500 D MCA for SAR Management
SAR4 155.77500 155.96250 0.18750 D MCA for Land SAR management
SAR5 158.65000 158.65000 0.00000 S Land SAR Scotland
SAR6 160.60000 160.60000 0.00000 S HM Coastguard Coastal SAR (Channel 99)
SAR7 156.00000 156.00000 0.00000 S

HM Coastguard Coastal SAR (Channel 00)

I spoke to South Africa from Nottingham on 4 watts but is was using 'skip' (bouncing the signal off the atmosphere)

Its not down to the power  it the conditions that dictate distance.

8 minutes ago, Wanted said:

My and my Brother had a set when we were kids, we managed to find a channel that was used by the local taxi firm, caused absolute havoc for a while until they worked out we were the kids with the bloody great CB Ariel on the shed roof! 

Model aircraft, cars etc operated on 27Mhz AM (the same frequency band as the 'old' CB - if you had a split channel tuner you could get onto the radio model channels and every time you keyed the Mike - the radio control operator lost control as the CB swamped the 'puny' RC transmitter. Great fun and chaos ensued.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not surprising as VHF is line of sight - if the VHF was 'high uo ' on a rig, and the Lifeboat at Gorleston was faurly high then 35 miles is more than possible on less power than a marine hand held has.

Channel Zero is only reserved for the Coastguard / Life boats in the UK - it is a 'standard' channel on US and Canadian marine VHF

"0" is a simplex VHF channel on 156.00 Mhz FM

There are other SAR frequencies :

SAR1 147.34375 147.49375 0.15000 D MCA for Land based SAR
SAR2 155.34375 155.35625 0.01250 D Land based SAR - Scotland Only
SAR3 155.96250 155.98750 0.02500 D MCA for SAR Management
SAR4 155.77500 155.96250 0.18750 D MCA for Land SAR management
SAR5 158.65000 158.65000 0.00000 S Land SAR Scotland
SAR6 160.60000 160.60000 0.00000 S HM Coastguard Coastal SAR (Channel 99)
SAR7 156.00000 156.00000 0.00000 S

HM Coastguard Coastal SAR (Channel 00)

I spoke to South Africa from Nottingham on 4 watts but is was using 'skip' (bouncing the signal off the atmosphere)

Its not down to the power  it the conditions that dictate distance.

As I understood it they rented them over here, they soon went back

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Wanted said:

Chuck D brilliant. 

He’s been back in the news recently.

Fight the Power. 

• Love 1

My recollection is that 27MHz CBs were not legal for use  in the UK because that band was reserved for other services such as radio controlled model aircraft and boats.

Demonstrating the truth of Dickens' character's observation that "the law is an ass", while it was illegal to use them,  it was not illegal to sell them,  so they were freely available. 

• Greenie 1