Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why don't we just pay (in advance) the GPs for each appointment - save a lot of no-shows and time wasters. !!

I agree. Effectively pay for a private  service  . Or at least pay  in part like prescriptions.

There could be exceptions also like prescriptions.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why don't we just pay (in advance) the GPs for each appointment - save a lot of no-shows and time wasters. !!

Because it would run counter to the ethos of the NHS. Healthcare free at the point of use.

Charging say a tenner for each interaction with the service (doctor appt, consultant appt, prescription, etc etc) would fix most of the problems, but millions of votes would be lost by the political party implementing it! 

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

Because it would run counter to the ethos of the NHS. Healthcare free at the point of use.

Charging say a tenner for each interaction with the service (doctor appt, consultant appt, prescription, etc etc) would fix most of the problems, but millions of votes would be lost by the political party implementing it! 

And, of course, a lot of people would die, just like in the good old days. You really think peole who have to get their food from food banks could afford a  tenner for the GP? Early intervention by GPs saves the NHS a fortune in nipping illness in the bud before it needs hospitalisation. Not that they could afford that either,  obviously.

It would cost the council a fortune in pauper's funerals.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And, of course, a lot of people would die, just like in the good old days. You really think peole who have to get their food from food banks could afford a  tenner for the GP? Early intervention by GPs saves the NHS a fortune in nipping illness in the bud before it needs hospitalisation. Not that they could afford that either,  obviously.

It would cost the council a fortune in pauper's funerals.

And lots more would be saved. My GP has a sign on the door stating how many missed and wasted appointments each month. Runs well into three figures every month. If people had even a small financial interest in their treatment all those casually made and wasted appointments could be used by people who actually need them.

Edited by MtB
Get the number right!
  • Greenie 2

On the other hand, our GP surgery (or possibly their computer) has been making appointments without telling the patient  My wife had this happen last year, and when I happened to check my records on-line I found an appointment with a doctor in a specific time slot had been made for March that I knew nothing about. On ringing to enquire what it was for and was it in person or by telephone, it transpired it was actually with the pharmacist , not the GP,  for a medication review, and  by telephone, not in person, and could be any time during the morning rather than at the 10.minute time slot specified.  Apparently they have been having problems with their IT system, but this sort of thing could account for some of the  appointment no-shows like my wife's. 

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

On the other hand, our GP surgery (or possibly their computer) has been making appointments without telling the patient  My wife had this happen last year, and when I happened to check my records on-line I found an appointment with a doctor in a specific time slot had been made for March that I knew nothing about. On ringing to enquire what it was for and was it in person or by telephone, it transpired it was actually with the pharmacist , not the GP,  for a medication review, and  by telephone, not in person, and could be any time during the morning rather than at the 10.minute time slot specified.  Apparently they have been having problems with their IT system, but this sort of thing could account for some of the  appointment no-shows like my wife's. 

A dodgy IT system, in the NHS?, that would never happen.....🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Bit like my friend, who not only missed two doctor's appointments they'd forgotten to tell her about, but a consultation about her heart problem, the notification of which arrived a week after the date, and a diagnosis of serious lung disease,  fatal in the long term, which she only found about three years later when the doctor asked as an aside how it was affecting her.

Charging for appointments will of course happen if the current government get reelected, as expected.

£400 to continuous cruisers, I suspect, won't.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

7 hours ago, MtB said:

And lots more would be saved. My GP has a sign on the door stating how many missed and wasted appointments each month. Runs well into three figures every month. If people had even a small financial interest in their treatment all those casually made and wasted appointments could be used by people who actually need them.

But what is the cost to the economy of patients sitting around in the waiting room because the doctor is running 45 minutes late with his appointments? What chance of the doctor paying the patient in that case?

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Works both ways - I recently went for my annual (it's been 3 years) diabetes 2 check.

My feet were slightly swollen (as they usually are, I'm 69, overweight and have type two diabetes, what do you expect!). This would normally pass without comment but a trainee was present at the examination so my feet presented an opportunity to show her how to organise a referral to the podiatry service.

So this week I turn up at the podiatry clinic, spend 5 minutes there  (mostly taking my shoe and socks on and putting them back). Feet are fine.

A total waste of NHS and my time.

• Greenie 1

I would think that a charge could be made for making a GP appointment which would then be refunded if the patient turned up. The remainder could be added to the GP practice income or a charity depending on a choice made by the no -show.

Edited by LadyG

17 hours ago, David Mack said:

But what is the cost to the economy of patients sitting around in the waiting room because the doctor is running 45 minutes late with his appointments? What chance of the doctor paying the patient in that case?

That always gets me when I visit my doctor, they have an information screen and one of the things that comes up is missed appointment hours, but I have never been in there and been seen on time, if everyone turned up for there appointment the doctors would late for their tea on a regular basis.

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

I would think that a charge could be made for making a GP appointment which would then be refunded if the patient turned up. The remainder could be added to the GP practice income or a charity depending on a choice made by the no -show.

And how many people would put off going to the doctors when at the moment some are choosing between heat and food due to lack of money 

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That always gets me when I visit my doctor, they have an information screen and one of the things that comes up is missed appointment hours, but I have never been in there and been seen on time, if everyone turned up for there appointment the doctors would late for their tea on a regular basis.

And how many people would put off going to the doctors when at the moment some are choosing between heat and food due to lack of money 

If they are ill it's a priority to get better, it's still free to visit. Most people use the pharmacist for minor ailments, as indeed do the NHS, for screening.

Edited by LadyG

On 04/02/2023 at 13:37, Lady C said:

As someone else who is not on the gas grid but mainly (and expensively) uses electricity for heating, I certainly hope to qualify for the extra £200.

Well, the guidance for suppliers on the government website states that this £200 is not intended for those who use electricity for domestic heating.  I wrote to my MP who said he would query it with the Department.  Today, prompted by a neighbour, I find we have received a payment of £200 in our electricity account.  My neighbour believes the county council were involved in this.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Lady C said:

Well, the guidance for suppliers on the government website states that this £200 is not intended for those who use electricity for domestic heating.  I wrote to my MP who said he would query it with the Department.  Today, prompted by a neighbour, I find we have received a payment of £200 in our electricity account.  My neighbour believes the county council were involved in this.

Your local council does do the processing and payment for people who don't have a domestic electricity account and have to make a claim. As for automatic payments, this is processed by Whitehall and your electricity company.

I got a DWP payment, DWP. COL. I'm a bit thick, what does col stand for, obviously I'm not going to query it in case it is an error.

I might even get another cold weather payment, or is this it?

I am happy to put unexpected money in to my account, but how long will it go on. I might even vote for this government, except I don't think I have a vote! 

The uncertainty makes it difficult to plan.

LadyG

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I got a DWP payment, DWP. COL. I'm a bit thick, what does col stand for, obviously I'm not going to query it.

I might even get another cold weather payment, or is this it?

I am happy to put unexpected money in to my account, but how long will it go on. I might even vote for this government, except I don't think I have a vote! 

The uncertainty makes it difficult to plan.

You get a secord payment in October 2023, a third payment in March 2024

8 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

You get a secord payment in October 2023, a third payment in March 2024

Excellent, but is there any reason?

PS, is this additional to my OAP, which already has additional payments , not that UK Govt told me I needed to apply because they had changed the system for very oldies.

Does everyone in the UK get this cashback .CoL, this is madness. I thought those who were well off paid taxes.

My head is in a whizz.

I am sure that Sunak et al do not need to bother, they employ accountants.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Excellent, but is there any reason?

PS, is this additional to my OAP, which already has additional payments.

My head is in a whizz.

DWP Press Statement 7th Feb https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/117072-boat-dwellers-to-be-able-to-claim-the-£400-energy-allowance/page/33/#comment-2899456

After confirming the payment schedule for five cost of living payments through the 2023/24 financial year, The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has today announced in Parliament more detail on the support.

This includes estimates of how many people across the UK, and in each local authority and parliamentary constituency, will receive the first £301 Cost of Living Payment and the £150 Disability Payment, which follows on from up to £1,200 in support for low-income households in 2022.

Work and Pensions Secretary, Mel Stride said:

These direct payments will help people right across the UK over this year and the start of the next, as we continue to provide consistent, targeted and substantial support for the most vulnerable.

Our wider support package, including the Energy Price Guarantee, will ensure every household is being helped through this challenging period of high inflation, caused by Putin’s illegal war and the aftershocks of the pandemic.

Chancellor of the Exchequer, Jeremy Hunt added:

High inflation, exacerbated by Putin’s illegal war, is hurting economies across the world and making people poorer.

These payments are the next part of the significant support we are providing through this challenging time, with millions of vulnerable households receiving £900 directly into their bank accounts this financial year alongside additional help for pensioners and those with disabilities.

This latest payment will provide some temporary relief, but the best thing we can do to help families and businesses is to stick to the plan to halve inflation this year.

Exact payment windows and qualifying periods for eligibility will be announced in due course, but are designed to ensure a consistent support offer throughout the year. Payment windows will be broadly as follows:

• £301 – First 2023/24 Cost of Living Payment – during Spring 2023
  • £150 – 2023 Disability Payment – during Summer 2023
  • £300 – Second 2023/24 Cost of Living Payment – during Autumn 2023
  • £300 – 2023 Pensioner Payment – during Winter 2023/4
  • £299 – Third 2023/24 Cost of Living Payment – during Spring 2024

There are several benefits that could make claimants eligible for the £301 Cost of Living Payment, including Universal Credit and tax credits – through which 5.4 million households across the UK are expected to qualify, and Pension Credit, through which 1.4 million pensioner households are expected to be paid. 1.3 million will be eligible through legacy DWP benefits such as Jobseekers Allowance and Income Support, reaching a total of 8.1 million households.

Eligible individuals do not need to apply for payments, as they are made automatically. Those eligible for cost of living payments through tax credits, and no other means-tested benefits, will be paid by HMRC shortly after DWP payments are made.

This builds on the government’s wider support package, which includes further funding for the Household Support Fund, bringing its total value for October 2021 to March 2024 to over £2 billion. The fund is distributed to English councils, who know their areas best and are then able to offer direct support for those most in need in their local area. Every household with a domestic electricity supply is also benefitting from the Energy Price Guarantee, which is saving the average household around £900 this winter and a further £500 in 2023/24 by capping energy costs.

Benefits will also rise in line with inflation from April, which will see a 10.1% increase for pensioners and those on the lowest incomes, whilst the National Living Wage will see its biggest ever cash rise, bringing it to £10.42 an hour.

This all follows on from 2022’s support package, which included:

• A £650 Cost of Living Payment for means-tested benefit claimants, split into two payments, each of which supported over eight million households
  • Further £300 and £150 payments, which reached over eight million pensioner households and six million disabled people respectively
  • A £150 Council Tax rebate for all households in Council Tax bands A to D in England
  • A £400 energy bill discount for all households, which will continue to run through March 2023