Trying to find somewhere that will crane in my widebeam on the Kennet and Avon- any suggestions?

pebble77

Featured Posts

Hi all,

As stated, I am trying to look for a boatyard or similar that has the equipment to crane and launch my boat on the K and A. I'm hoping to be reasonably near Bradford-on-avon but am flexible as it doesn't seem there are many local options.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The  boat is 32ft/10ft steel dutch cruiser for reference.

Thank you! 🙏 

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m sure they don’t. Doesn't stop them hiring in mind. But I don’t think they offer any of that sort of stuff. 

Have a look at Foxhangers next door. 
If I remember right, they are more set up for it. 

I'll give them a call tomorrow! thanks! 😊 

I think Foxhangers are more geared up for their hire boats but I’m sure they do private jobs too. 
It may be a case of waiting til their season starts before they crane again. 
I don’t know. 
And of course they’d possibly need a bigger crane than usual for a widebeam. 
You can only ask and see. good luck. 

Hilperton marina have a crane. No idea about what they can do about road delivery but I seem to recall from when we were down there in 2001 that Hilperton is reasonably close to that area. Trowbridge I think it was.

https://www.hilpertonmarina.com/services/

They don't mention road but worth asking I think.

Boat Lifting

We have on site a Jones 971C Crawler Crane capable of most canal related lifting requirements.

Edited by magnetman

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Hilperton marina have a crane. No idea about what they can do about road delivery but I seem to recall from when we were down there in 2001 that Hilperton is reasonably close to that area. Trowbridge I think it was.

https://www.hilpertonmarina.com/services/

Yep. That,s the place.  Just 2 or 3 Km from bradford on avon.

11 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I hope you’ve got mooring sorted as it seems to be in short supply round there I believe? 

There is space in Caen Hill Marina, or was the other week when I enquired. 

Mind you I was asking about a NB.

ABC at Aldermaston wharf have their own crane that can lift wide beams. Not that close to BOA though. 

Foxhangers have their own slipway and tractor, but I'm not sure if they can slip widebeams. You could probably arrange your own crane to get the boat in the water there though. 

Failing all of the above Devizes wharf seems to be a popular place for craning widebeams in.....again you'd have to arrange the crane yourself and descend the Caen hill flight to get to BOA.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in with an update- it looks like I am getting it craned in in Foxhangers boatyard in January at some point (TBC). They have been very helpful on the phone and are helping me put together a plan. I am most likely going to rent a crane from Tuckeys to do the job and am looking to split the cost with a couple other people who also need their boats craning. This is crucial as it will reduce the cost from £1500 just for me which is the flat fee.

I am adding this update to be informative if someone else searches for this advice at a later date.

Thanks again and merry christmas!

On 14/12/2022 at 07:21, Stroudwater1 said:

I hope you’ve got mooring sorted as it seems to be in short supply round there I believe? 

I will be a continuous cruiser

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, pebble77 said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this tbh Alan.

I will try my best to be a real continuous cruiser!

I would like to get a permanent mooring in a year or so, if I am able.

Alan is archly referring to the expectation of a certain type of new boater to just pitch up with their boat on the canal and choose themselves a nice bit of bank to live on, or just move about occasionally to suit themselves and call that CCing. Then get all surprised when they find themselves caught up in the enforcement procedure and cry "foul". 

You however strike me as someone who does their research and will already realise there are quite firm and well defined (but easy to comply with) rules about this. 

Edited by MtB
Speeling.

3 minutes ago, pebble77 said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this tbh Alan.

I will try my best to be a real continuous cruiser!

There are a lot of boaters on the K&A that 'sign up' to get a licence and claim they will be 'CCing' (a boat without a home mooring) but they have no intention of complying with what they have agreed to do, (move about) hence the formation of the group representing non-moving boaters - the NBTA - (commonly taken to mean "No Boats Travel Anywhere") and the resultant high level of Enforcement compared to the rest of the waterways.

If you fully intend to comply with the licence conditions, and are not constrained and need to stay in a small area for work / family / medical needs then good luck to you and enjoy your new boat.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And note that CRT require CCers to travel over a range of at least 20 miles, and the distance from Devizes bottom lock to Bath top lock is less than that, so you will need to do (and be seen to do) Bath locks and/or the Devizes flight from time to time.

On the other hand, there are reputed to be a number of boats which have spent their whole lives CCing on just the 15 mile 'long pound'.