Owatrol - Paint Restorer

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Reply as follows:

"These 2 products are essentially the same and will both restore fading. We recommend applying these products to a clean and dry surface then wiping any excess oil away after 20 minutes."

presume as and when you need to paint the sanding process would remove this so should be ok?

So you are going to try it then?

Just to set expectations....

The owner of a boat next to us on our moorings used Polytrol on his somewhat jaded paintwork, (steel boat).  The results didn't look at all bad.

Although our FLAMINGO had considerably more degraded paint, we decided to give it a try. We were completely unable to improve the look over what it was before we started.

So the moral seems to be that it only works  down to a particular level of damage.

After a few months the boat that had prompted us to try this product also looked pretty bad, having gone patchy throughout the whole length of the oat.

Edited by alan_fincher

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Just to set expectations....

The owner of a boat next to us on our moorings used Polytrol on his somewhat jaded paintwork, (steel boat).  The results didn't look at all bad.

Although our FLAMINGO had considerably more degraded paint, we decided to give it a try. We were completely unable to improve the look over what it was before we started.

So the moral seems to be that it only works  down to a particular level of damage.

After a few months the boat that had prompted us to try this product also looked pretty bad, having gone patchy throughout the whole length of the oat.

My paint wasnt bad I suppose I polished regularly, it hadn't gone chalky just dull

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

presume as and when you need to paint the sanding process would remove this so should be ok?

That's what I had assumed/ hoped.

The Polytrol did nothing to the cream lines. 

I tried applying it with a rag but a paint brush was much easier and I found it better to apply

it sparingly than have to wipe off excess. 

That video is a bit alarming - the owatrol seems to have really mucked up his paint. I was just about to order some as the paintwork is looking a bit whitey in places (previous owner seems to have autoglymmed it for sale, but now I think I'll wait and hear how rob the plods job goes. 

• Horror 1

48 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

That video is a bit alarming - the owatrol seems to have really mucked up his paint. I was just about to order some as the paintwork is looking a bit whitey in places (previous owner seems to have autoglymmed it for sale, but now I think I'll wait and hear how rob the plods job goes. 

It is a bit alarming, but he didn't follow the instructions re: prep of the boat and applied it both with cheapo blue roll and for the most part a bit of mop sponge instead of a brush.

• Greenie 1

When I mixed Owatrol oil with paint about 10 years ago (in the proportions instructed on the Owatrol can), lots of paint experts on the forum slagged me off saying that if the paint manufacturer had intended their product to have a load of oil mixed in they would have added this themselves. I found it enhanced the wet edge of the paint when applying it by brush but apart from that I couldn't really tell if it had any other benefits so I took the forum's advice onboard and stopped using it.

But it does beg the same question here: if the paint manufacturers thought that a different Owatrol (snake oil) product should be splashed all over their paint finish then surely their research & development dept would have done that work themselves and specified this in the instructions?

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

When I mixed Owatrol oil with paint about 10 years ago (in the proportions instructed on the Owatrol can), lots of paint experts on the forum slagged me off saying that if the paint manufacturer had intended their product to have a load of oil mixed in they would have added this themselves. I found it enhanced the wet edge of the paint when applying it by brush but apart from that I couldn't really tell if it had any other benefits so I took the forum's advice onboard and stopped using it.

But it does beg the same question here: if the paint manufacturers thought that a different Owatrol (snake oil) product should be splashed all over their paint finish then surely their research & development dept would have done that work themselves and specified this in the instructions?

Maybe they are happy with us constantly spending large amounts of money on paint and preparation products? Rather than a few quid annually on owatrol, for me I will continue with the latter it's easier and works

On 01/08/2023 at 11:47, Chris T said:

That's what I had assumed/ hoped.

The Polytrol did nothing to the cream lines. 

I tried applying it with a rag but a paint brush was much easier and I found it better to apply

it sparingly than have to wipe off excess. 

White paint has no colour pigment so this product would not improve the looks of your cream paint. The blurb on the Owatrol site mentions this.

33 minutes ago, JoeC said:

White paint has no colour pigment so this product would not improve the looks of your cream paint. The blurb on the Owatrol site mentions this.

If it had no pigment then it would not be paint, it would be varnish.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

One of the earlier posts mentioned the possibility of an adverse effect on cream / white, my remark was in response to this.

OK, now done a test patch and have to say, impressed with results!  I used a lint free rag to apply it and also a clean one to clean up/buff it after 20 mins..... hope you can see the patch!  it seems to remove the chalky streaks also which is nice... will monitor it for a few weeks then if it still is half decent will start doing the boat........

20230812_171121.jpg

20230812_171058.jpg

20230812_171109.jpg

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

OK, now done a test patch and have to say, impressed with results!  I used a lint free rag to apply it and also a clean one to clean up/buff it after 20 mins..... hope you can see the patch!  it seems to remove the chalky streaks also which is nice... will monitor it for a few weeks then if it still is half decent will start doing the boat........

20230812_171121.jpg

20230812_171058.jpg

20230812_171109.jpg

Did tell you it was good

15 hours ago, robtheplod said:

20230812_171121.jpg

20230812_171058.jpg

20230812_171109.jpg

That looks good Rob. I've been wondering about Owatrol for a while now (the gel coat name issue was a bit confusing, but this thread has cleared that up). The acid test is time though, as a lot of products look great immediately after application.

I've done mine previously with Autoglym products which involved lots of hard work, but looked fantastic... for about 3 months. I now use a silicone-free, cheap wax wood polish spray which takes minutes and lasts about 6 weeks before needing another wipe. Of these two, from both a bang for buck and an effort/reward perspective, the little and often approach wins hands down. However, it may well be bettered by Owatrol if it lasts and has no other downside.

With that in mind, I'm sure many of us would be grateful if you could provide updates regarding longevity. In the meantime, my fingers are crossed for you! 

That does indeed look like a result Rob. Really good removal of white bloom and restoration of the red colour. 

Can you reconfirm the exact Owatrol product you used? 

Plus can you do an update in a few months so we can all benefit from your experiment.