Stourport?

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Dont forget to look in the sandstone "room/cave " at Debdale lock, Im not sure what it was used for, possibly horses for the canal but its not on the towpath side? its fun to imagine. Grade 2 listed I believe 

Could be religous.

First time I tried to look I stepped in to be met by a man and his friend who was on their knees in front of him.

😀

Edited by PaulJ
  • Haha 1

Another interesting one to look out for is Devils Den just before you get to Stourton Junction.

If its quiet you can stop to have a quick look but its padlocked so have no idea what the inside is like.Told it was a boathouse?

30 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Another interesting one to look out for is Devils Den just before you get to Stourton Junction.

If its quiet you can stop to have a quick look but its padlocked so have no idea what the inside is like.Told it was a boathouse?

I've wondered about that when we have passed through there.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I've wondered about that when we have passed through there.

The local navvies must have loved their work- you would have thought they'd had enough cutting through the canal without doing extras.

Pic here for anyone who hasnt had the chance to go that way..

20220714_131926.jpg

11 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

The local navvies must have loved their work- you would have thought they'd had enough cutting through the canal without doing extras.

Pic here for anyone who hasnt had the chance to go that way..

20220714_131926.jpg

At least it will be nice and cool in there, especially on Monday and Tuesday when 36C is predicted... 😞

4 hours ago, PaulJ said:

There was quite a stink when BW/CRT  (can't remember the date) closed it off to protect the bats and keep the baddies out

On 13/07/2022 at 23:13, Francis Herne said:

I'm currently going down the same way for the first time.

Agreed that the pound above Hyde lock is really beautiful.

What's wrong with the Vine? I was outside it earlier, looked well kept, lots of happy gongoozlers on the terrace.

Three separate people have told me not to stop overnight in Kidderminster, two of them having had windows broken there in the last few weeks. I'm going to take their advice...

If you stop at the watermill pub just after tescos, you will be fine ,offside but by a road in front so a little noisy if sitting at front of boat. Nice and safe though, although food is a bit “ping”

On 14/07/2022 at 11:40, Mike Todd said:

Not all cobs are cobs.

No they’re not.

A phrase I ain’t heard for awhile, and I’m in the Swan at Compton, “it’s raining cobs”.

….and the bar sells ‘baps’ ??

🤷‍♀️

Edited by Goliath

46 minutes ago, Goliath said:

….and the bar sells ‘baps’ ??

🤷‍♀️

Not the same thing at all. Soft white rolls ideal for sticking yer burger in. Not crusty like a cob.

I'm a Devon lad and even I know that !

Assuming we're talking about bread...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, eightacre said:

Moorings above Hyde lock

The "Hollybush" in Stourport

Don't forget you need a "handcuff" key on some locks around Kidderminster.

The anti-vandal locks seem to have been removed from all of Kidderminster’s locks if I remember things correctly from my last transit.

57 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The anti-vandal locks seem to have been removed from all of Kidderminster’s locks if I remember things correctly from my last transit.

I didn't notice any when I went through last month. I definitely didn't use my handcuff key.

9 hours ago, eightacre said:

Moorings above Hyde lock

The "Hollybush" in Stourport

Don't forget you need a "handcuff" key on some locks around Kidderminster.

I’m on a bit of a detour now 

Winded below Compton to come back on myself and do the 21 to Wolverhampton. 

I thought I ought to get myself into Brum while the games were on. 

I’ll stretch my visit out for a month and then perhaps go down the Delph  and Stourbridge flights to rejoin the Staff and Worcester to Stourport. 

On 13/07/2022 at 23:30, Laurie Booth said:

In fairness the Vine might have improved, which would have been easy to do.

THE VINE PUBLIC HOUSE, Kinver - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor 

I went there late October (I think), it was clean, comfortable, food was good, prices were reasonable, people were friendly, generally a nice atmosphere. I don't recall what the beer selection was like but I don't remember being disappointed for something to drink. Having tried pretty much all of them I might even go as far as to say it was my favourite pub in Kinver at the time.

29 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’ll stretch my visit out for a month and then perhaps go down the Delph  and Stourbridge flights to rejoin the Staff and Worcester to Stourport. 

Are you aware of the change of mooring durations in central Brum, most are 4 days.

We are heading that way later in the week, but will probably only spend one night before heading down the 21.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Are you aware of the change of mooring durations in central Brum, most are 4 days.

We are heading that way later in the week, but will probably only spend one night before heading down the 21.

Yes,

I see on the CRT website plenty of moorings are down to 4 days and they will be checking daily, so they say. 

I’ll push my luck as much as I can get away with in central Birmingham. 

But there’s so much of the BCN to play on I’ll manage a month backwards and forwards. Somehow. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I take it you have read the restrictions, some for mooring during the games and some for the baton 

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No I haven’t 😔 

But I’ll get in somewhere or other.
 Always the optimist me. 

Location: Queen's Baton Relay, Mailbox to the Sea Life Centre, Birmingham New Main LineIntersection of:Salvage Turn Bridge to Aqueduct 6, Holiday Street on Worcester & Birmingham Canal.andBar Lock Footbridge, Gas Street to Brewmasters Bridge, Private on New Mainline

Wednesday 27 July 2022 17:00 until Wednesday 27 July 2022 19:00

Type: Navigation Closure Reason: Information

Original message: To allow for the passage of the Queen's Baton Relay in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games the following closure will be in place:
The navigation will be closed from the Mailbox to the Sea Life Centre on Wednesday 27th July from 5pm - 7pm.
The towpath will remain open but it is likely to be quite busy between 4:30pm - 7pm, so we would kindly ask cyclists to dismount or use alternative routes.
Please also be advised that there will be no moorings from the Mailbox to the Sea Life Centre from 9am - 7pm. 
We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

New MainlineLocation: Queen's Baton Relay, Rolfe Street to Spon Lane, Birmingham New MainlineStarts At: Rolfe Bridge, Rolfe StreetEnds At: Spon Lane Bridge

Wednesday 27 July 2022 16:30 until Wednesday 27 July 2022 18:00

Original message: To allow for the passage of the Queen's Baton Relay in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games the following closure will be in place:
The navigation & towpath will closed from Rolfe Street through to Spon Lane, Smethwick on Wednesday 27th July.
Please also be advised there will be no moorings between 12noon and 6pm from Galton Tunnel to Spon Lane South.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience. 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Location: Queen's Baton Relay, Mailbox to the Sea Life Centre, Birmingham New Main LineIntersection of:Salvage Turn Bridge to Aqueduct 6, Holiday Street on Worcester & Birmingham Canal.andBar Lock Footbridge, Gas Street to Brewmasters Bridge, Private on New Mainline

Wednesday 27 July 2022 17:00 until Wednesday 27 July 2022 19:00

The navigation will be closed from the Mailbox to the Sea Life Centre on Wednesday 27th July from 5pm - 7pm.
The towpath will remain open but it is likely to be quite busy between 4:30pm - 7pm, so we would kindly ask cyclists to dismount or use alternative routes.
Please also be advised that there will be no moorings from the Mailbox to the Sea Life Centre from 9am - 7pm. 
We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

New MainlineLocation: Queen's Baton Relay, Rolfe Street to Spon Lane, Birmingham New MainlineStarts At: Rolfe Bridge, Rolfe StreetEnds At: Spon Lane Bridge

Wednesday 27 July 2022 16:30 until Wednesday 27 July 2022 18:00

The navigation & towpath will closed from Rolfe Street through to Spon Lane, Smethwick on Wednesday 27th July.
Please also be advised there will be no moorings between 12noon and 6pm from Galton Tunnel to Spon Lane South.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience. 

ok couple of hours on evening of 27th

looks difficult

I’m on my way in because I need to start trading and earning some money. 
So I’ll take me chances and set up as and where I can till I’m told to F off.

Like anything with me it’s last minute and I hate booking. 

Thanks for the info

18 hours ago, Goliath said:

Did you call at the fantastic beer/wine shop in Compton?