Stourport?

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No didn’t go in the Offy.  
Beer was too good in the Swan 

And I’ve a lot of good pubs to visit now back on the BCN. 👍

Bull and Bladder? Ma Pardoe's? Fountain, Tipton? Mmm, I'm thirsty now, time for a beer... 🙂

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Bull and Bladder? Ma Pardoe's? Fountain, Tipton? Mmm, I'm thirsty now, time for a beer... 🙂

Gonna find the Beacon Hotel this time around. 
Not Canal side but somewhere I’ve been wanting to find for a long time. 
For the Ruby Mild. 
Might treat myself to a taxi ride out and back for a lunch session. 

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Gonna find the Beacon Hotel this time around. 
Not Canal side but somewhere I’ve been wanting to find for a long time. 
For the Ruby Mild. 
Might treat myself to a taxi ride out and back for a lunch session. 

You mean the one in Sedgley? (Sarah Hughes brewery tap)

The problem with Dark Ruby Mild is it's delicious, but also proper falling-over juice... 😉

Edited by IanD

• 4 weeks later...

Righto, finally got myself to Stourport. 
What a lovely journey following the contours around the rock. Beautiful. 
Did a fair bit of what you all suggested. 
I usually take my time and explore places a bit more but I moved each day for a change so missed a few things.  

Kinver pubs: Plough and Harrow is my idea of the perfect bar. Simple and non-fancy. A choice of Bathams bitter or mild. Friendly. The Cross I enjoyed too. Enough beers on choice to need the TV screen to tell you what they got. Didn’t do the Vine, looked very busy with eaters, families and children. Skipped the White Hart too. 

Will have to go the caves another visit. 
Pretty village with everything a boater needs: a good butcher, veg shop and post office. 😃and two ace boozers. 

Woverley: The Lock Inn, Bank’s Amber and unpretentious bar/furnishings 👍 The Queens Head, modernised, drank Carling. 

But wow what a peculiar village. Loved it. Walked up to the Church for views. No local shop 🤷‍♀️

Debdale lock is a real treat with the cave beside it. In fact the journey from Stourbridge Jn down to Stourport is a wonderful treat. 

The locks are easy to use and fast to fill. 
No problems mooring anywhere (only 48’)

I will visit Kidderminster another time. 
There are NO anti vandal locks there anymore. The ‘pop’ out bars have been removed.

Cookley will have to wait til next time too. 

Spotted the turning for the old lock at Pratts Wharf but another boat had what looked like the only easy place  to pull over and explore.  Again, that’s for next time too. 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Righto, finally got myself to Stourport. 
What a lovely journey following the contours around the rock. Beautiful. 
Did a fair bit of what you all suggested. 
I usually take my time and explore places a bit more but I moved each day for a change so missed a few things.  

Kinver pubs: Plough and Harrow is my idea of the perfect bar. Simple and non-fancy. A choice of Bathams bitter or mild. Friendly. The Cross I enjoyed too. Enough beers on choice to need the TV screen to tell you what they got. Didn’t do the Vine, looked very busy with eaters, families and children. Skipped the White Hart too. 

Will have to go the caves another visit. 
Pretty village with everything a boater needs: a good butcher, veg shop and post office. 😃and two ace boozers. 

Woverley: The Lock Inn, Bank’s Amber and unpretentious bar/furnishings 👍 The Queens Head, modernised, drank Carling. 

But wow what a peculiar village. Loved it. Walked up to the Church for views. No local shop 🤷‍♀️

Debdale lock is a real treat with the cave beside it. In fact the journey from Stourbridge Jn down to Stourport is a wonderful treat. 

The locks are easy to use and fast to fill. 
No problems mooring anywhere (only 48’)

I will visit Kidderminster another time. 
There are NO anti vandal locks there anymore. The ‘pop’ out bars have been removed.

Cookley will have to wait til next time too. 

Spotted the turning for the old lock at Pratts Wharf but another boat had what looked like the only easy place  to pull over and explore.  Again, that’s for next time too. 

Sounds like you have had a great trip along a really good canal and a jewel at the end in Stourport.

I am planning to go that way next year with a trip to Gloucester docks via Stourport and along the Severn and then back up to the Avon returning home through Brum and back up the Shroppie.

• Happy 1

Just now, churchward said:

Sounds like you have had a great trip along a really good canal and a jewel at the end in Stourport.

I am planning to go that way next year with a trip to Gloucester docks via Stourport and along the Severn and then back up to the Avon returning home through Brum and back up the Shroppie.

Yes, really enjoyed it. 
And it’s got me looking at the maps (again). 
I haven’t the time to go all the way to Gloucester but It’s certainly on the agenda for another time. Any excuse to travel this bit again. 

Standing down in the basins and looking up at the town is quite special. 
So many of the old Georgian buildings remain along with warehouses and such like (even though they’ve change their use). 

And there’s a funfair! 😂 I feel like I’m on holiday. 

I’m here for a few days. I’ll have a look for the bookshops and see what I can find on local history. 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Yes, really enjoyed it. 
And it’s got me looking at the maps (again). 
I haven’t the time to go all the way to Gloucester but It’s certainly on the agenda for another time. Any excuse to travel this bit again. 

Standing down in the basins and looking up at the town is quite special. 
So many of the old Georgian buildings remain along with warehouses and such like (even though they’ve change their use). 

And there’s a funfair! 😂 I feel like I’m on holiday. 

I’m here for a few days. I’ll have a look for the bookshops and see what I can find on local history. 

There's a good Indian (Namaste?) next to the basin... 🙂

On 20/08/2022 at 15:20, Goliath said:

😃

There is a local shop in Wolverley but it takes some finding. Up the hill then across the back of the playing field/park, walk a bit further up the residential road and there's a one-stop or Costco or similar. We ran out of milk and went on an expedition to find it.

Glad you like that stretch. I think the bottom of the S&W is my favourite canal so far.

7 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

There is a local shop in Wolverley but it takes some finding. Up the hill then across the back of the playing field/park, walk a bit further up the residential road and there's a one-stop or Costco or similar. We ran out of milk and went on an expedition to find it.

Glad you like that stretch. I think the bottom of the S&W is my favourite canal so far.

Thanks for pointing that out.  
That stretch is lovely.

Im actually torn between returning up the Staffs or going down the Severn to Droitwich.
At the moment I’m set on dropping down on to the Severn.

But half of me wants the rain that’s forecast tomorrow to really piss down and put a stop to me going on the river.  

Edited by Goliath

31 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Thanks for pointing that out.  
That stretch is lovely.

Im actually torn between returning up the Staffs or going down the Severn to Droitwich.
At the moment I’m set on dropping down on to the Severn.

But half of me wants the rain that’s forecast tomorrow to really piss down and put a stop to me going on the river.  

The trip down the Severn is a bit dull but I think the stretch from Stourport down to Worcester is the nicest bit.  The Droitwich is ok and I do like going up Tardebigge.  Then you can stop at Alvechurch and visit The Weighbridge Inn (https://www.the-weighbridge.co.uk/).

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The trip down the Severn is a bit dull but I think the stretch from Stourport down to Worcester is the nicest bit.  The Droitwich is ok and I do like going up Tardebigge.  Then you can stop at Alvechurch and visit The Weighbridge Inn (https://www.the-weighbridge.co.uk/).

that’s on my mind too, to go Worcester.

so much to choose from, 🤷‍♀️

ive friends in Droitwich so it’s a possible I’ll go there anyway at some point,

but yea Worcester has certainly crossed my mind,

ive a friend visiting tomorrow and I was going to train ‘em up on the Tardebigge flight, after going on the Severn,

thinking of asking them to join me on the BCN challenge. 

as usual I’ll just see what each day brings 👍

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

that’s on my mind too, to go Worcester.

so much to choose from, 🤷‍♀️

ive friends in Droitwich so it’s a possible I’ll go there anyway at some point,

but yea Worcester has certainly crossed my mind,

ive a friend visiting tomorrow and I was going to train ‘em up on the Tardebigge flight, after going on the Severn,

thinking of asking them to join me on the BCN challenge. 

as usual I’ll just see what each day brings 👍

If you go to Worcester make sure to have an evening in the Cardinal's Hat -- fabulous for those who like real beer in a real pub... 🙂

3 hours ago, IanD said:

If you go to Worcester make sure to have an evening in the Cardinal's Hat -- fabulous for those who like real beer in a real pub... 🙂

And the King Charles II with its dungeon in the snug with a plate glass cover over the top. And the pies are a must.👍plus of course the beer. 🍺👍🥧

If your feeling like an explorer a quick diversion right as you leave Stourport up the Severn past the end of Navigation is quite amusing for an hour or two-though with the water levels being what they are I would be cautious trying to get too far-not sure how many go up there.

Its a big bit of (wild?!) River you will get all to yourself and possibly slightly more scenic as some of it..

18 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

If your feeling like an explorer a quick diversion right as you leave Stourport up the Severn past the end of Navigation is quite amusing for an hour or two-though with the water levels being what they are I would be cautious trying to get too far-not sure how many go up there.

Its a big bit of (wild?!) River you will get all to yourself and possibly slightly more scenic as some of it..

Did that in a hire boat some 30+ years ago. We carried on until we grounded a little way below Bewdley, then turned and came back to Stourport. Tried to do it again on Fulbourne some years later, but we had unwittingly arrived on the day of Stourport Regatta, the river was swimming with rowing eights, and the chap on the PA wasn't impressed by my attempts to carry on upstream beyond the canal entrance. Maybe next time!

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Did that in a hire boat some 30+ years ago. We carried on until we grounded a little way below Bewdley, then turned and came back to Stourport. Tried to do it again on Fulbourne some years later, but we had unwittingly arrived on the day of Stourport Regatta, the river was swimming with rowing eights, and the chap on the PA wasn't impressed by my attempts to carry on upstream beyond the canal entrance. Maybe next time!

I only got the chance as arrived early at Stourport late afternoon instead of the expected following morning and had a little time to kill.

Only went as far as somewhere between Ribblesford and Lickhill Manor but suprised at just how big and deep the River was there. 

Nothing like going past any of the signs of the Fens/Ouse 😀

15 hours ago, gatekrash said:

It is certainly showing on Google street view https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4104026,-2.2620126,3a,75y,245.33h,100.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH1HuNjwkk5awYBFEfQHq5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

but I would definitely call that an expedition - felt long enough, visiting the church! I can excuse anyone saying no shop!

2 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Good idea, I might have look up there this evening, when me friend arrives. 

I also see Tewkesbury is doable in a day, from Stourport. 

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

Good idea, I might have look up there this evening, when me friend arrives. 

I also see Tewkesbury is doable in a day, from Stourport. 

If you have time. Stop at the camp house on your way down. If the Pontoon is occupied. Try and stop after 6pm on the Bevere lock landing down stream and walk to the pub, not far.  It's a must if you like old fashion pubs (15 century I belive) peacocks roaming around in the garden. Food OK. 👍

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I thought that Bevere lick was closed for a while? 

Not till September 29th apparently whats not to lick about the Severn though apart from the high banks and less than inspiring views at times. Agree Stourport to Worcester is the better bit, it gets worse right down to muddy banks at Gloucester on the whole 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23074-river-severn-navigation-lock-7-bevere-lock