Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

I did wonder if Tacets image was of a Kennet turf lock

As to Davif G 's image is the question to identify the boat, place or locomotive?

I was thinking place though it sounds like you might know all three.

There is also a when

Looking at the image :

Query5.jpg.af40313f3e0795455c7e5c57e8a52d63.jpg

It looks like a railway notice on the Bridge. The image seems to be from the construction of the Severn Bridge Railway and Sharpness Harbour

George Wythes constructed the Harbour for the Gloucester and Berkeley ship canal extension from 1871. The locomotive might be HINTON a four coupled saddle tank by Hunslet Engine Co, Leeds, which was supplied new to the contract in 1872. These docks came into use in August 1875 and the canal company had their first locomotive no 1 which was also a four coupled saddle tank locomotive. whether it was the Wythes locomotive is less likely. 

Now a BCN question (for Goliath)

The central buildings were demolished apart from one house. The canal basin beyond was filled in but has been partly excavated again. These buildings were established in 1816 as a Brewery.

630635a.jpg

• Greenie 1

I think that bit of canal we see there has been my regular spot for mooring?

I need to double check on this. 

Right,

got it,

thanks to your thread on another forum. 😃

And yes it’s been my best spot for trading, just below that tower there, top centre. 

I’ll leave  it for someone else to fathom too. 

Great photo!

Very good

It is the line of canal through the Deep Cutting to the junction with what was originally the original line of 1769 and Goliath likes mooring opposite Kingston Buildings, it would seem

The reason for the post is Brewery Basin next to the Malthouse where the "canal art" there has become rather shabby. This 1921 ariel view shows the complete set of building for the Birmingham Brewery Co (later Birmingham & District Brewery Co) where malting and brewing was once carried on. The Brewmasters House and the basin remain from those times.

When built the Kingston Buildings were used by ironmongers Theodore & Philemon Price. Theodore Price was also associated with the establishment of the Birmingham Brewery Company.

It is of interest that the surviving building is called the Brewmasters House, as No 7 St Peter's Place, it was the offices for the Birmingham Brewery Company and maybe should be recorded as such.

630649.jpg

Edited by Heartland

In a slight variation to this theead:

I’m currently on a train and have just passed over two different canals so close to one another that the front of the train was on the bridge over one canal while the rear was on the other.

I recognise there may be more than one possible answer to this question but that may make it more interesting. So, where am (or was) I?

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

I wasn't on the BCN but I had a feeling there would be a place that fitted the criterion on the BCN. Strangely I didn't consider the obvious one even though I must have travelled on a train over both lines of the Birmingham Canal at Smethwick many many times.

I wasn't in Manchester either but it does look as though a single train could simultaneously be over both the Rochdale and the Bridgewater canals, that would be one of the arms in the case of the latter.

The GU main line and Paddington Arm at Hayes is debatable in so much that it might not be possible with a passenger train due to the distance between the bridges. Some freight trains however might achieve the feat.

Of course with the BCN and GU there is an argument they are the same canal, albeit distinct lines in their own right. In the case of the place I was the canals are more independent.

What drew my attention to the situation was that I was aware that one canal passed beneath the railway at the locaton but I'd never realised there were two. Maybe the vegetation had been cut back since I'd last travelled that particular of track.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

And whilst people consider this question, here is another BCN question where a road crossed two lines of canal.

623331.jpg

Sheepcote Street crosses both the BCN Main Line and the Oozells Street Loop. And Winson Green Road and the A457 both cross the Main Line and Soho Loop.

On 13/09/2023 at 20:48, David Mack said:

Screenshot_20230913-204458_Maps.jpg.a6e960cf7f197866ca10b40775ad0f9c.jpg

Back in the mid 1970's I had a holiday job driving for a fixings company who supplied small batches of electroplated bolts and screws etc. I used to deliver the raw fixings to a small factory where Austin Court is where the plating process was carried out in what looked like chip fryers full of various nefarious liquids. The place had a horrible fug about it and I was always glad to leave there. 

10 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

GU and Paddington arm around Hayes (jam factory)?

That would be a very long train!

30 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Warrington?

Bridgewater and Manchester Ship canals?

Not there. The Bridgewater isn't crossed by a railway at Warrington. The Runcorn branch does go over the WCML at Preston Brook though.

I think @magpie patrick might know the answer.

53 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

That would be a very long train!

It would be 780 metres long which would be abnormal.

I've just measured between the bridges in question and it is 237 metres. There is a river between the canals.

Edited by Captain Pegg