£45 FOR A BOTTLE OF 13 KG PROPANE...

stablemabel

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have done that in my youth, didn't know anything about how much you should put in, never weighed them,

That is quite an important part of the operation.

Weigh the empty cylinder, zero the scales, monitor the weight as it fills until you get the correct weight ie 13kg.

Do not put propane into a butane cylinder, only fill like-for-like.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can always fill a smaller cylinder from a bigger one - 

Image 1 - REFILL LPG BOTTLE,TRANSFER GAS,PROPANE CYLINDER POL SWIVEL LPG 2METRE PIPE

You can even fill the very expensive Camping Gaz cylinders from a any size Propane cylinder

Image 7 - LPG UK Gas Bottle Refill Sets to Fill Variety of Empty Gas Bottles

Its a common thing to do with camping gas cylinders where a big cylinder can cost the same as a smaller clinder but can have  4 or 5 times the gas content.

A 100g cartridge costs around £3 a 300g cartridge costs around £3.50.

You can also fill 'part used' cartridges so you reduce the risk of running out of gas, or, ending up with loads of part used cartridges lying around.

image.jpeg.d578b5d8263037daac0d8ae399ccddc6.jpeg

I value my life too much to dick about with stuff like that.

Including filling Calor cylinders from forecourt LPG pumps which has also been referenced above.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you do it properly using the correct hoses then there is no 'dicking about'.

TBH I'd rather pay a bit more per kilo.

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Buy bigger it works out cheaper.

Our 47kg cylinders have gone up from £62 18 months ago, to £94 now and increasing to £99 next month.

Still way way cheaper per Kg than buying diddy-cylinders

he's a chuckle in't he I just bought a 40 year old springer for a song, turned it back into a gasometer and now I carry it about on the roof of my Gardner powered  Hudson waiting for the gas price to go down again so I can sell it at a loss.

Actually 13 Kg Propane is 42 quid here ( Manchester) same as last summer but up by about a tenner from Jan 2021 which is a pretty hefty increase. Look at it like this: No standing charge, ain't I the lucky boy.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Including filling Calor cylinders from forecourt LPG pumps which has also been referenced above.

Only way to get gas where i live, no such thing as exchange bottles. I put 10 euros of gas in my bottle about 3 times a year. 80% of fuel stations sell gas, same LPG that cars use, works fine. Cuts off at 80%full, same as filling an LPG tank on a car/RV.

44 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Only way to get gas where i live, no such thing as exchange bottles. I put 10 euros of gas in my bottle about 3 times a year. 80% of fuel stations sell gas, same LPG that cars use, works fine. Cuts off at 80%full, same as filling an LPG tank on a car/RV.

Yes its not a problem if you use proper user refillable cylinders. Lots of caravanners and motorhomers in the UK use Safefill or Gaslow systems. I was talking about the refilling of std. Calor exchange cylinders. Some/most forecourts wont even let you do it in the UK unless its a 'proper' user re fillable cylinder.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you do it properly using the correct hoses then there is no 'dicking about'.

"Properly"?

If it can be done "properly", as a LPG Registered Gas Engineer why have I not been trained how to do it, how to test the equipment, etc etc?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

Perhaps time to consider Safefil?

The challenge for boaters would be accessing sites which sell LPG. It might work for leisure boaters or CCers with a car but for lots getting them filled will prove a challenge.

Caravanners also report issues getting them filled as not all forecourt staff understand that the correct type can be filled. They just refuse any to be filled.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is quite an important part of the operation.

Weigh the empty cylinder, zero the scales, monitor the weight as it fills until you get the correct weight ie 13kg.

Do not put propane into a butane cylinder, only fill like-for-like.

I know how to do it now, it was a case of just top these bottles up.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed - its not difficult.

Some folks just like to make a fuss about anything.

The reason for doing was not resale. We had about half a dozen static caravans and it saved a lot of hassle to put a full cylinder on ,on changeover day and hopefully not get called out during the week. It was all included in the hire.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The reason for doing was not resale. We had about half a dozen static caravans and it saved a lot of hassle to put a full cylinder on ,on changeover day and hopefully not get called out during the week. It was all included in the hire.

I was not suggesting it should be done for 'resale' but for personal use.

£30 for the connecting hose and its paid back within a couple of fills.

As I said, It is commonly done in the hiking fraternity and I always weigh / fill any part used cartridges before venturing out. Its much easier (both space and weight) to take one full cartridge than 2x half full ones.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe you have not done that (separate) qualification yet ?

I asked about it last time I did my training renewals and they said it was illegal.

Hence my querying of your assertion it can be done "properly".

Edit to add:

But interestingly I'm back in training again shortly and if we can come up with anything to suggest cross-filling from one bottle to another IS considered safe for the consumer to do, I'll put it to them.

And if the trainers there persist in asserting it is illegal, I'll ask which regulation it contravenes, as I currently think the regs are silent on cross-filling.

It'll probably be one of those "catch all" clauses.... "No person shall do anything that constitutes a danger to..." 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1

Long term, it makes financial sense to get a Safefill bottle if you are regularly passing a Morrisons with lpg on the forecourt. Bottles are in short supply at the moment (for obvious reasons) but normally retail for around £220 - fill with 21 litres of lpg for around £20 which will save anything from £15 upwards every fill up. Do the math.

And as for being illegal, I'm sure Morrisons have looked into the legal side.

46 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It says on every Calor bottle not to be refilled.

So what do they do with the ones they get back?

Just joshing but it actually says 'property of and only to be filled by Calor', which is also stated in the cylinder rental agreement.

Quite how they enforce it gawd knows, but it would sure put somebody on a sticky wicket if something goes wrong if they were re-filling one.

51 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It says on every Calor bottle not to be refilled.

Unlike Calor bottles Safefill are designed to be refilled by the user. We used one with our caravan when a 6Kg refill cost £8, may be a bit more know. I regret selling it with the caravan even though ours was only a 6Kg bottle.

Just now, Mike Tee said:

Long term, it makes financial sense to get a Safefill bottle if you are regularly passing a Morrisons with lpg on the forecourt. Bottles are in short supply at the moment (for obvious reasons) but normally retail for around £220 - fill with 21 litres of lpg for around £20 which will save anything from £15 upwards every fill up. Do the math.

And as for being illegal, I'm sure Morrisons have looked into the legal side.

Safefill liase with LPG retailers inc. Morrisons.

It isnt illeagal to re fil a Safefill cylinder as that is what they are designed for and have over fill protection. 

Bog std. Calor cylinders do not.

Re filling a Calor cylinder might not fall foul of any specific legislation but it breaches the rentral agreement. And given the labelling on the cylinder could land you in hot water if something goes wrong.