£45 FOR A BOTTLE OF 13 KG PROPANE...

stablemabel

Featured Posts

£35 for a 6kg at our local DIY place.

Last one I bought over a year ago was about £26 or £27 from memory.

Vlad the Invader has a lot to answer for, (not least and including the untold misery he's unleashed on Ukraine).

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Buy bigger it works out cheaper.

Our 47kg cylinders have gone up from £62 18 months ago, to £94 now and increasing to £99 next month.

Still way way cheaper per Kg than buying diddy-cylinders

Well that only works if you can accommodate such large cylinders.

We cant.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our 47kg cylinders have gone up from £62 18 months ago, to £94 now and increasing to £99 next month.

Lol, I bought a 47kg refill for £67 the other day, delivered to my hovel! 

I bought a 13kg refill of Calor patio gas which is basically propane at my local DIY store yesterday and it cost £65 . Apparently the price had gone up the previous day . Absolutely crazy price . Who is making all the profit ? 

1 minute ago, Troyboy said:

I bought a 13kg refill of Calor patio gas which is basically propane at my local DIY store yesterday and it cost £65 . Apparently the price had gone up the previous day . Absolutely crazy price . Who is making all the profit ? 

Out of interest why are you paying the extra for patio gas? My daughter does this too.

Just swap the regulator on whatever you use and buy bog std. propane.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Out of interest why are you paying the extra for patio gas? My daughter does this too.

Yep, its the biggest con ever initiated.

1 hour ago, stablemabel said:

BLIMEY THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME...

I wish heating oil was so cheap 🤣

30 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Actually originally I used a normal propane cylinder but changed the regulator for one of the clip on ones to fit the patio gas bottles .That was many years ago when there wasn't a huge difference in price . I don't use the barbeque that much so have only ever bought two patio gas cylinders . I suspect adding the word ' patio' to gas is like adding the word 'marine' to a product which means the price increases. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

Actually originally I used a normal propane cylinder but changed the regulator for one of the clip on ones to fit the patio gas bottles .That was many years ago when there wasn't a huge difference in price . I don't use the barbeque that much so have only ever bought two patio gas cylinders . I suspect adding the word ' patio' to gas is like adding the word 'marine' to a product which means the price increases. 

The green and red colour scheme must cost more too. 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Just paid £33 for 13kg here with apologies that it's gone up from £30 a couple of weeks ago - I think there's some ripping off on the back of domestic gas rises going on.

13 kg = 182 kwh @ £33 = 18p/kwh compared to mains gas @ 3.8p

The cost of providing cylinders, testing them on return, scrapping and replacing those that fail, and all the retailer infrastructure to sell items individually is bound to cost a lot more thN pumping large quantities of gas through pipes. And your 3.8p per kWh doesn't include that standing charge - which for a low gas user like a leisure boater, would amount to a much higher cost if charged 365 days/year.

5 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Just paid £33 for 13kg here with apologies that it's gone up from £30 a couple of weeks ago - I think there's some ripping off on the back of domestic gas rises going on.

13 kg = 182 kwh @ £33 = 18p/kwh compared to mains gas @ 3.8p

This week I'm paying 3.2p for gas. Next week i will be paying 7.34p. 3.8p is history.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

The cost of providing cylinders, testing them on return, scrapping and replacing those that fail, and all the retailer infrastructure to sell items individually is bound to cost a lot more thN pumping large quantities of gas through pipes. And your 3.8p per kWh doesn't include that standing charge - which for a low gas user like a leisure boater, would amount to a much higher cost if charged 365 days/year.

Right, so the gas is a smallish part of the overall cost? Not much excuse for the high prices? I mean I paid £33, others are quoting between £45 and £60. I think that says it all as far as some suppliers taking advantage from the general atmosphere of "fuel" prices rocketing.

Somebody, somewhere, is making a lot of money out of the misery and suffering of others :(

I Heard that the chairman of BP said that his company has more money than it knows what to do with, and this has only been going on for a short time!

• Greenie 1

Part of the problem seems to be that the energy producers are working on a percentage profit margin, so that when the price of the raw material (oil or gas) goes up, their price goes up by the same percentage and their profits go up likewise; unlike the end users who have to absorb the extra costs or find that their product is priced out of the market.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Well that only works if you can accommodate such large cylinders.

We cant.

You can always fill a smaller cylinder from a bigger one - 

Image 1 - REFILL LPG BOTTLE,TRANSFER GAS,PROPANE CYLINDER POL SWIVEL LPG 2METRE PIPE

You can even fill the very expensive Camping Gaz cylinders from a any size Propane cylinder

Image 7 - LPG UK Gas Bottle Refill Sets to Fill Variety of Empty Gas Bottles

Its a common thing to do with camping gas cylinders where a big cylinder can cost the same as a smaller clinder but can have  4 or 5 times the gas content.

A 100g cartridge costs around £3 a 300g cartridge costs around £3.50.

You can also fill 'part used' cartridges so you reduce the risk of running out of gas, or, ending up with loads of part used cartridges lying around.

image.jpeg.d578b5d8263037daac0d8ae399ccddc6.jpeg

Edited by Alan de Enfield