Size matters

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In case you need to contact them :

Kelvin Diesel Marine Engines: A brief history - FAFB

Kelvin Diesels

133 Helen Street, Glasgow, G51 3HD

William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin. Physicist. Had the unit of absolute temperature named after him. Starting a diesel engine manufacturing company seems to be missing from his Wikipedia page. Time for an edit I think.

Jen

• Haha 1

On 03/04/2022 at 11:19, peterboat said:

I have a 57 x 12 on Northern waterways round stern for some of our locks is essential, 12 foot beam is fine and makes a big difference to the boat. Fit plenty of solar its cheap and effective you have the roof size to do it, I can manage all winter with 4.6kw of solar. I have LifePo4s for domestic and drive batteries yes my boat is electric drive. I have wheelhouse and wheel steering its easier in a widebeam as you look down the left side. I have changed the layout of my boat a lot in fact all of it apart from the bathroom. Fit a big water tank it pays in the long run. Insulation is king sprayfoam to maximum and thinsulite on the back of the fitout boards will pay dividends. Visit some boats for sale secondhand and members on here it will really help. Get it right the first time is what I am saying, mine was a secondhand bargain they are few and far between. 

Good luck and enjoy building your boat 

See my latest post quoting your first post 

Hi Peter, I am trying to pm you, but I need 10 posts, apparently. Is there any way we can discuss an electric fitout. I have just read the post from 2018 regarding full electric and found it really interesting. I know you are in northern waters and running with electric.

Cheers 

37 minutes ago, Grass is Greener said:

Hi Peter, I am trying to pm you, but I need 10 posts, apparently. Is there any way we can discuss an electric fitout. I have just read the post from 2018 regarding full electric and found it really interesting. I know you are in northern waters and running with electric.

Cheers 

That's odd, your profile says you are up to 49 posts.

1 hour ago, Grass is Greener said:

Cheers 

I have sent you a PM with my phone number so give me a call and I will see what I can do mate

• 2 weeks later...

Hello... I am in the same boat as you Only  I have gone down the narrowboat option  was wondering if you were talking  about buying a Collingwood Sailaway  after  I  started the purchase of the  boat I made  an effort to look at some reviews on said company and was not really sold on the idea of spending such a large amount of money with them as customer service was not a top priority for them  so have pulled out  and gone with another boat builder and still have not taken delivery yet  due to Covid 19 things in the boat building world  have  slowed to a crawl hopefully it will be delivered  by the end of  June 2022.

Hope things  worked out for you.

13 minutes ago, Goblin King. said:

Hello... I am in the same boat as you Only  I have gone down the narrowboat option  was wondering if you were talking  about buying a Collingwood Sailaway  after  I  started the purchase of the  boat I made  an effort to look at some reviews on said company and was not really sold on the idea of spending such a large amount of money with them as customer service was not a top priority for them  so have pulled out  and gone with another boat builder and still have not taken delivery yet  due to Covid 19 things in the boat building world  have  slowed to a crawl hopefully it will be delivered  by the end of  June 2022.

I think things have slowed down because of various factors, the main one I see at the minute is the rising cost of steel plate per ton. It’s becoming more difficult for shell builders to give an accurate price for a finished shell. I don’t know how your shell was priced but I imagine it has increased from the initial quote???

Edited by PD1964

12 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I think things have slowed down because of various factors, the main one I see at the minute is the rising cost of steel plate per ton. It’s becoming more difficult for shell builders to give an accurate price for a finished shell. I don’t know how your shell was priced but I imagine it has increased from the initial quote???

Mine certainly did... 😞

On 20/04/2022 at 21:38, Goblin King. said:

No I didn't and wouldn't consider Collingwood. I'm going with XR&D.

4 minutes ago, missingtheboat said:

I've seen this on a few boats - how do you manage the gas? Keep another bottle somewhere else? 

My bow locker will hold a 13kg plus one of the smaller 7kg bottles, but I was finding the smaller bottles harder to get hold of at some places.

I found a place that agreed to swap my empty 7kg bottle for a full 13kg bottle, which not all of them would agree to do- a few of them insisted on only swapping wit the same size bottle.

So the spare is now a 13kg bottle, and that sits inside the steel locker on the stern deck. 

Bit of a pain that it occupies that storage space, but I felt the lesser evil was to have a full size spare gas bottle (that ensures me 4 months of use), what with all of the alleged uncertainty around future gas supplies. 

• Greenie 1

My boat (a 70' Orion narrowboat) was originally designed to carry 6 x 3.9kg gas bottles.

Afterwards a coaming was added below the gas locker lid so that a single 13kb bottle could be accommodated.

So now I have one 13kg bottle and two 3.9kg bottles. Possibly I could replace the 3.9s with 6kg ones, I haven't tried this.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Get 2x 6kg ones that fit the locker, instead of 1x 13Kg, so you always have a spare if one runs out😂

Last time I looked the cost of a small bottle wasn't much less than the standard 13kg bottle, making it an expensive option.

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

So the spare is now a 13kg bottle, and that sits inside the steel locker on the stern deck. 

I trust that locker for the spare bottle complies with the BSS requirements for gas lockers.

• Horror 1

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I trust that locker for the spare bottle complies with the BSS requirements for gas lockers.

Thanks for the reminder- and I've no idea if it complies or not

It has drain holes a few inches wide on either side at floor level.

One drains to the outside of the hull, but the other one drains into the engine bay, from whence it could potentially make its way into the boat interior via a hole in the back cabin wall (for the wiring to pass from engine bay to cabin) - so thats a bit of a worry. 

Perhaps the inner drain hole should be plugged or sealed to remove that risk.

Edited by Tony1

27 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Thanks for the reminder- and I've no idea if it complies or not

It has drain holes a few inches wide on either side at floor level.

One drains to the outside of the hull, but the other one drains into the engine bay, from whence it could potentially make its way into the boat interior via a hole in the back cabin wall (for the wiring to pass from engine bay to cabin) - so thats a bit of a worry. 

Perhaps the inner drain hole should be plugged or sealed to remove that risk.

I would be concerned with the gas locker drain hole that drains into the engine bay, as obviously gas is heavier then air, if leaking and a spark from alternator, starter, batteries and bang, so many things to cause gas ignition.

I’m surprised it has passed a BSS with a drain hole into this area, if this is a dedicated gas locker. I take it’s just a locker and not a dedicated gas locker and you remove the bottle for the BSS inspection?

Edited by PD1964

10 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I would be concerned with the gas locker drain hole that drains into the engine bay, as obviously gas is heavier then air, if leaking and a spark from alternator, starter, batteries and bang, so many things to cause gas ignition.

I’m surprised it has passed a BSS with a drain hole into this area if this is a dedicated gas locker. I take it is just locker and not a dedicated gas locker and you remove the bottle for the BSS inspection?

I only put the spare bottle in the stern locker a couple of months ago, and the last BSS was before I bought the boat, so this issue has never been looked at by a BSS inspector. 

The next inspection is due next year, but I don't want to have a gas explosion in the meantime, so I need to make the stern locker safe asap, or else go back to using a 7kg bottle as my spare. 

If I can make it safe by just sealing the inner drain hole, that would be my preferred option. For the time being I'm going to pack a rag into the offending drain hole as tightly as I can, until I can make it properly compliant.