Size matters

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Grass is Greener said:

This is what happened to the cryptos, so maybe the same waves going through both systems. If you don't need to spend it, it may be worth while not twitching and hoping for it to rise again??

Ah now that's another risk. Humans tend to look for and see patterns when there are none. The psychology of investing is just SO FASCINATING don'tcher find?

Crypto has no underlying asset or store of value, unlike equities, so why might one track the other? 

Hypothetical question, just to think over. 

3 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Do keep up, Bee. We're not being nasty to widebeams any more.  They're the new black now.  

But joking aside, if all the locks could fit a 10ft wide boat, I reckon almost every boat on the system would be 10ft wide, and we'd all be absolutely loving it.

Come on- take another look at the interior of that 57x10 above, and tell me part of you doesnt want to spend your winter evenings stretched out on that huge sofa with a cold beer from the full size fridge freezer....

Come on, Bee. Admit it. You know you want it.

It's time to come out of the widebeam closet.

We're in a safe space here...  😀

Hmph. Well, I suppose it just might be quite nice to have a boat with a comfortable sofa and maybe a fridge freezer might be useful sometimes but that sort of thing just makes you soft. Some of us were bought up with chemical loos, mould, rot, all sorts of leaks and no electricity - and thats the way its supposed to be.  Seriously though, 10` wide would be great, if only somebody years ago had just thought 7` is a silly width, lets just round it up to 10`

Actually I've already crept out of the widebeam closet, our boat is 11` 4" wide (but just 32` 6" long) , we built it for France but its travelled all the connected Southern waterways in England inc G.U. and it now lives in France/Belgium/Holland. The K&A and G.U. were not particularly easy, nor the Wey into Guildford but the flattish bottom is approx 9` wide and it has good chines and that makes it quite OK in narrow and shallow waterways.  And now I'm going back in the closet, that's my safe space.    If I can find a pic of the boat out of the water I'll try to put it on here.

• Greenie 4

3 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Do keep up, Bee. We're not being nasty to widebeams any more.  They're the new black now.  

But joking aside, if all the locks could fit a 10ft wide boat, I reckon almost every boat on the system would be 10ft wide, and we'd all be absolutely loving it.

Come on- take another look at the interior of that 57x10 above, and tell me part of you doesnt want to spend your winter evenings stretched out on that huge sofa with a cold beer from the full size fridge freezer....

Come on, Bee. Admit it. You know you want it.

It's time to come out of the widebeam closet.

We're in a safe space here...  😀

Hmph. Well, I suppose it just might be quite nice to have a boat with a comfortable sofa and maybe a fridge freezer might be useful sometimes but that sort of thing just makes you soft. Some of us were bought up with chemical loos, mould, rot, all sorts of leaks and no electricity - and thats the way its supposed to be.  Seriously though, 10` wide would be great, if only somebody years ago had just thought 7` is a silly width, lets just round it up to 10`

Actually I've already crept out of the widebeam closet, our boat is 11` 4" wide (but just 32` 6" long) , we built it for France but its travelled all the connected Southern waterways in England inc G.U. and it now lives in France/Belgium/Holland. The K&A and G.U. were not particularly easy, nor the Wey into Guildford but the flattish bottom is approx 9` wide and it has good chines and that makes it quite OK in narrow and shallow waterways.  And now I'm going back in the closet, that's my safe space.    If I can find a pic of the boat out of the water I'll try to put it on here.

IMAG0357_BURST001.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

IMAG0357_BURST001.jpg

What a nice looking boat.

Its a very simple boat, Beta 43, all narrowboat machinery except for hydraulic wheel steering from a boat jumble, very basic electrics, nothing sophisticated, lots of recycled timber. A difficult fit out though as there is no straight midsection, the whole thing is curves and tapers, its not big enough really to live on but as a travelling boat for two people and a dog it works OK.  An English widebeam would make a far better home.  Also nothing will persuade me to build another one!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Its a very simple boat, Beta 43, all narrowboat machinery except for hydraulic wheel steering from a boat jumble, very basic electrics, nothing sophisticated, lots of recycled timber. A difficult fit out though as there is no straight midsection, the whole thing is curves and tapers, its not big enough really to live on but as a travelling boat for two people and a dog it works OK.  An English widebeam would make a far better home.  Also nothing will persuade me to build another one!

It's a grand looking boat for some reason I thought you had a Dutch barge? But my widebeam does make an excellent home and in reality is a very good handling beastie with nice bow and a big swim 

• Greenie 1

On 02/04/2022 at 21:59, Tony1 said:

But alas, I have not been able to really enjoy the works of Mr Cleese since I learned of his political leanings.

Your post came too late for April Fools' Day.

Are you saying that you need to ascertain whether an actor or comedian votes Conservative, Liberal Democrat or Labour before you decide whether to laugh at his programmes or his jokes?

Really?

I have no idea how, for example, Ian Hislop, Frank Skinner, Paul Merton or Sandy Toskwig (sp?) voted in the last election. But all of them make me laugh.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Your post came too late for April Fools' Day.

Are you saying that you need to ascertain whether an actor or comedian votes Conservative, Liberal Democrat or Labour before you decide whether to laugh at his programmes or his jokes?

Really?

I have no idea how, for example, Ian Hislop, Frank Skinner, Paul Merton or Sandy Toskwig (sp?) voted in the last election. But all of them make me laugh.

I have already stepped over the line for what is a non-political thread, and I will not say anything further that could turn this thread into the kind of ugly knife fight that one sees in the loathsome cesspool that is the political pages of this forum. 

Enjoy your day.

26 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I have already stepped over the line for what is a non-political thread, and I will not say anything further that could turn this thread into the kind of ugly knife fight that one sees in the loathsome cesspool that is the political pages of this forum. 

Enjoy your day.

No, you haven't, otherwise you would have most likely been notified.

You didn't say which party John Cleese supported (and I'm sure most of us have no idea), so you weren't expressing a preference for any particular party or political view.

My enjoyment of the day will not include viewing knife fights in cesspools, as the mental picture which your description conjures up is not an alluring one.

We have had several French hire boat holidays on pénichettes, which are about 32 feet long by 10 feet wide, and we have appreciated the extra space which the broader beam provides. But we also appreciate being able to travel on such waterways as the South Oxford and the Ashby in our narrowboat.

Edited by Athy

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, you haven't,

Yes I did step over a line.

I was not referring to whatever line you might feel is appropriate for a moderator intervention.   

I was impolite in introducing the incendiary subject of politics into a perfectly decent and helpful thread- that was the line I stepped over. 

The other members were more polite than I was, and they refrained from turning it into a politics discussion, and I'm grateful for that restraint. 

I think it would be an error of judgment for you to compound my initial mistake by poking at this subject any further.

It is not appropriate, and it is not wanted.

29 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I was impolite in introducing the incendiary subject of politics into a perfectly decent and helpful thread- that was the line I stepped over. 

No, I can't agree with that.

29 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I think it would be an error of judgment for you to compound my initial mistake by poking at this subject any further.

That, however, is impolite. But I'm sure you realise that. Please be careful.

Edited by Athy

27 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I was not referring to whatever line you might feel is appropriate for a moderator intervention.   

The other members were more polite than I was, and they refrained from turning it into a politics discussion, and I'm grateful for that restraint. 

It would be hypocritical of me to contribute to a politeness debate between yourself and Athy. But surely the Liberal Democrats (though not my personal cup of tea) are not so discreditable as to spoil Mr Cleese's body of work for you? For avoidance of doubt, this is merely a comment, not an attempt to initiate a political debate. I am no more enamoured of knife fighting (nor cesspools for that matter) than are you.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, frahkn said:

It would be hypocritical of me to contribute to a politeness debate between yourself and Athy. But surely the Liberal Democrats (though not my personal cup of tea) are not so discreditable as to spoil Mr Cleese's body of work for you? For avoidance of doubt, this is merely a comment, not an attempt to initiate a political debate. I am no more enamoured of knife fighting (nor cesspools for that matter) than are you.

There is no such debate.

It is, though, a refreshing change for a member to say that he's stepped out of line and for a moddy to say that no, he hasn't.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

There is no such debate.

It is, though, a refreshing change for a member to say that he's stepped out of line and for a moddy to say that no, he hasn't.

Perhaps it hasn't reached the sophistication of a debate.

Tony 1 said "I have already stepped over the line ", you replied "No, you haven't,", Tony came back "Yes I did step over a line" and suggested that your own intervention wasn't helping.

You responded "No, I can't agree with that" and advised Tony to "be careful". So, on reconsideration, perhaps it was more of an argument than a debate. But having met neither of you, it's difficult to be certain. You say it's not a debate, perhaps Tony thinks that's debatable?

Anyway he has coined a memorable phrase "ugly knife fight that one sees in the loathsome cesspool".

17 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Perhaps it hasn't reached the sophistication of a debate.

Tony 1 said "I have already stepped over the line ", you replied "No, you haven't,", Tony came back "Yes I did step over a line" and suggested that your own intervention wasn't helping.

You responded "No, I can't agree with that" and advised Tony to "be careful". So, on reconsideration, perhaps it was more of an argument than a debate. But having met neither of you, it's difficult to be certain. You say it's not a debate, perhaps Tony thinks that's debatable?

Anyway he has coined a memorable phrase "ugly knife fight that one sees in the loathsome cesspool".

Yes, I have read the thread so I know what people wrote. No debate or argument, simply clarification.

The description is indeed vivid, and reminds me why I rarely look in the Politics section except in the line of duty.

50 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

" I was only doing my duty your honour, honest"

Its too cold to argue.

Can you think of any other reason for visiting the politics section, particularly, like me, one has little interest in politics?

Fortunately, no one is arguing - though it's 55 degrees in these parts, not cold at all. Where are you?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Can you think of any other reason for visiting the politics section, particularly, like me, one has little interest in politics?

Fortunately, no one is arguing - though it's 55 degrees in these parts, not cold at all. Where are you?

55 degrees -- blimey, that's only 1.7 degrees cooler than the world record set in Death Valley... 😉

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

In the open wilds of the Cheshire Plain, the wind is cutting, sky looks like it could snow.

The politics section is a no go area for me, too much silly arguing.

5 hours ago, IanD said:

55 degrees -- blimey, that's only 1.7 degrees cooler than the world record set in Death Valley... 😉

Tee-hee.

Mr. Google tells me that the record maximum temprature in Death Valley is 134 degrees.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Mr. Google tells me that the record maximum temprature in Death Valley is..............

Death Valley
The aptly named Furnace Creek currently holds the record for hottest air temperature ever recorded. The desert valley reached highs of 56.7C in the summer of 1913, which would apparently push the limits of human survival.