Starting Engine

jdoe

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, jdoe said:

It felt like it needed that initial 'kick' to get going if this helps.

Was it cranking over or just dead? Any smoke?

If cranking over was it slow or normal speed?

You need to put on more info instead of snippets

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Was it cranking over or just dead? Any smoke?

If cranking over was it slow or normal speed?

You need to put on more info instead of snippets

Was cranking over, normal speed, smoke and smell, apologies for snippets, trying to type on a tablet.

40 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

It's like watching kids play 20 questions.

I'm new to boating hence why I posted in the 'new to boating' thread, god forbid I ask for help and people actually help me

Edited by jdoe
Grammar

6 minutes ago, jdoe said:

Cool story bro but I'm new to boating hence why I posted in the 'new to boating' thread, god forbid I ask for help and people help me lol

Oh dear, another one who resents being asked for further information and seems to expect to be spoon-fed with an instant solution. 

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Oh dear, another one who resents being asked for further information and seems to expect to be spoon-fed with an instant solution. 

Not expecting an instant solution I'm asking for help in understanding the problem I'm having, not refusing anyone who asks for further info, sorry.

Just now, Thames Bhaji said:

I’d suggest that you check for diesel first of all, if you’re not sure that there is any. There are dozens of other possible reasons, but there doesn’t seem much point going through them all until you’ve checked for fuel. 

Best way to go, I haven't been able to fill it up but when bought was told the boat had some in and showed it running, maybe siphoned the rest after being sold.

1 minute ago, jdoe said:

Best way to go, I haven't been able to fill it up but when bought was told the boat had some in and showed it running, maybe siphoned the rest after being sold.

But how long ago was that and how much has the engine been run

1 hour ago, jdoe said:

I was trying to start the engine the other day and it wouldn’t start.

Lister Engine, turning over, all switches in on position.

Turn the key, the engine starts and makes a 'rah rah rah' sound but keeps going but doesn't properly start or 'Kick' to get started.

New to learning the ropes so please excuse my lack of knowledge!

OK, the rah, rah, rah sound, does it seem labouring or is it flowing? Put it another way, does the engine seem to turn over as normal or is it slower? 

A diesel ehngine needs only three things to work, if any one of them is missing it will not start :

1) Fuel

2) Compression

3) Air

Check fuel first.

Check you fuel tank - you may need to 'dip' the tank and if you have less than 6" you have probably run out. It is designed to have several inches of 'space' in the bottom which is not usable so that all the muck, rust and water has somewwere to settle.

Easiest way is to put a couple  of jerry cans (40 litrs) of fuel in the tank, see if it starts.

If it does not start then trace the fuel lines and check the fuel is getting into and out of the filter (it may be blocked), and into and out of the Injectors.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

But how long ago was that and how much has the engine been run

It's been a while a good 2 months.

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

OK, the rah, rah, rah sound, does it seem labouring or is it flowing? Put it another way, does the engine seem to turn over as normal or is it slower? 

Doesn't seem to be labouring, seems to be flowing as it should do.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A diesel ehngine needs only three things to work, if any one of them is missing it will not start :

1) Fuel

2) Compression

3) Air

Check fuel first.

Check you fuel tank - you may need to 'dip' the tank and if you have less than 6" you have probably run out. It is designed to have several inches of 'space' in the bottom which is not usable so that all the muck, rust and water has somewwere to settle.

Easiest way is to put a couple  of jerry cans (40 litrs) of fuel in the tank, see if it starts.

If it does not start then trace the fuel lines and check the fuel is getting into and out of the filter (it may be blocked), and into and out of the Injectors.

Very detailed reply many thanks for your patience and understanding.

Did whoever serviced the engine turn off the diesel isolation valve while they changed the fuel filter and then did not turn it back on again. I know this is odd because the filter would not have been bled in that case and most people servicing know to bleed the system afterwards.

2 minutes ago, jdoe said:

It's been a while a good 2 months.

Doesn't seem to be labouring, seems to be flowing as it should do.

So this seems to rule out battery issues at this stage. Address points raised by others.

39 minutes ago, jdoe said:

Cool story bro but I'm new to boating hence why I posted in the 'new to boating' thread, god forbid I ask for help and people help me lol

Keep at it, persevere 

You’ll get your help 😃

But you gotta give some basics.

Have you sorted that Stop switch

Give it a pull does it move?
Give it a push does it move?
Push and pull, it ought to sit back closed, nice and neat.

Lift your boards to see the engine and see if you can trace where the cable is going to and from.

Pull and push the Stop switch to try and spot some movement. 
You should have about an inch and half movement (?)

you need to close that Stop 

Wiggle and push/pull, spray some WD40 or similar in any joints you can see it struggling with

Spray a bit down the cable. 

IF you can pull the stop switch but only get it back in as far as the position in the photo, then maybe that’s as far back in as it goes.

dunno 🤷‍♀️

But for me that’d be me starting point. 
Especially if the engine sounds like it ‘wants to start’. 

to add : and check your diesel as others have said, they 

you need to measure a couple of inches of diesel on the dip stick by the way

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, jdoe said:

I doubt anyone would bother syphoning the fuel after selling the boat, but there might not have been much in it. However we're not all the same - I brimmed the diesel tank when I sold my boat, stuck £50 of elec in the marina bollard, filled the water, emptied the toilet and filled it's coal bunker (yes it had one!) to the brim with anthracite. I just wanted to give the newbie owners a happy start and some breathing space. It was chump change on a £45k boat.

• Greenie 4