Best Non Slip Footwear

2nd Mate

Featured Posts

Hi,

Can anyone out there recommend good 'none slip soles' foot ware please, to be worn on a regular basis as we continual cruise on our narrow boat preferably without lots of lacing up to be done everytime you take & put back one...!!

Many thanks ..

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Panama Jacks are my favourite, but they are a lace up ankle boot so have to be tied and untied but not laced. I wear them summer and winter alike.

Blind me you must have won the lottery looking at those prices 

I used ordinary sale price Clark's leather lace up shoes with man made soles polished at least once a week.  Easy to wash mud off, plenty of grip on the so called non-slip surfaces of the boat, not too bulky and light enough. I tried work boots but too heavy and I would hate to fall in wearing boots.

• Greenie 1

I note that most replies refer to the non slip surfaces on the boat. Over many years, I've found that nothing gives you purchase on normal paint or painted plywood, and the places off the boat like brickwork around locks or lock woodwork where the non slip surface is damaged or missing. 

I usually wear waterproof trainers and find the soles reasonable everywhere except as above and in wet mud by lock beams. And Tony's comments about boots and falling in are very valid.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Panama Jacks are my favourite, but they are a lace up ankle boot so have to be tied and untied but not laced. I wear them summer and winter alike.

No longer importing, claiming due to Brexit. Obviously can't do paperwork!

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

With some big woolly socks size 11’s would fit perfect. 
Just incase you’re chucking out. 👍

Only kidding 😃

Chucking or checking?  (Also  Only kidding 😃 )

5 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

I note that most replies refer to the non slip surfaces on the boat. Over many years, I've found that nothing gives you purchase on normal paint or painted plywood

Anyone using normal gloss or enamel paint without a non-slip additive on a deck or roof is asking for trouble. I use a non-slip deck paint myself and never slipped on it.

I've seen people painting their roofs in ordinary enamel paint who claim never to walk on the roof. That's fine for them I suppose but what if someone else does? In an emergency for example, another boater might try to help by coming down from a lock onto a wet slippery enamel roof assuming it's painted with a proper non-slip deck paint. Could have two accidents instead of just one.

People are free to do what they want with their own boats I suppose, even if it's unsafe.

Edited by blackrose

The best answer is can give is to avoid any type of walking boot or work boot.  These tend to have a deep tread designed to grip on loose surfaces or mud.  On smooth surfaces like painted metal, the sole doesn't bite at all and slipping is likely.  A good pair of road running shoes is a far better option, with a mostly flat sole and a "sticky" surface. You need to maximise the contact between the sole and the surface you're on.  That's what I wear and my roof and gunwales are just painted with ordinary boat paint.  Never slipped, even in the wet.  In fact, when I test the gunwales by sliding my foot along, they won't slip even if I try to.  Running shoes are usually very comfy too, which is a bonus.  The major downside is they're not much cop if I'm walking between locks and it's muddy.

29 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The best answer is can give is to avoid any type of walking boot or work boot.  These tend to have a deep tread designed to grip on loose surfaces or mud.  On smooth surfaces like painted metal, the sole doesn't bite at all and slipping is likely.  A good pair of road running shoes is a far better option, with a mostly flat sole and a "sticky" surface. You need to maximise the contact between the sole and the surface you're on.  That's what I wear and my roof and gunwales are just painted with ordinary boat paint.  Never slipped, even in the wet.  In fact, when I test the gunwales by sliding my foot along, they won't slip even if I try to.  Running shoes are usually very comfy too, which is a bonus.  The major downside is they're not much cop if I'm walking between locks and it's muddy.

There called running shoes for a reason. To run in. No wonder they are no good when you are walking to the lock

40 minutes ago, Tonka said:

There called running shoes for a reason. To run in. No wonder they are no good when you are walking to the lock

What an odd comment.

There are plenty of running shoes which are absolutely perfect for walking to a lock, no matter how muddy.  The point is, shoes designed for mud, aren't suitable for painted metal.

This is a subject I took a great interest in a few years ago after very nearly falling into an emptying lock when I slipped on the lock side. No matter how careful you are (and when I'm on my own I like to think I am careful) but the combination of rain and moss on the stone caught me out. 

I have ended up with different shoes for different conditions. I bought a pair of waterproof  hiking type shoes that had the soles marked as "sticky rubber". They have no midsole and no discernible heel and were the most uncomfortable shoe for long dog walks I ever had--but the lack of rigidity on the sole means they put a lot of sole in contact with the deck and the soft rubber compound grips to the steel. Never had a problem in the dry or damp and most importantly I have confidence in them. I believe they were designed for scrambling on rocks/light rock climbing. Merrell don't make them anymore but a sports shop should be able to provide an alternative.

In the wet it was a bit harder. I tried the traditional siped sole boat shoe--these had thin grooves cut into a flat sole and are probably fine if you never leave the boat but on a muddy towpath the grooves filled with grit and mud and became slick. Standard hiking boots were lethal--plenty of grip in the mud but too slippery in the wet.

I struggled to find a good shoe/boot for the wet and muddy towpath until I read an article regarding Vibram soles. Apparently they make many different soles but the majority of customers want shoes that last so have a hard rubber compound that are slippery in the wet. I looked for a softer compound and ended up buying a Merrell zion  waterproof hiking shoe with a Vibram Megagrip sole. The lugs on the sole don't seem to hold the mud as others do. They have a flat sole and have the best grip of any shoe I can find. I noticed the difference when pushing on a lock beam in the wet and my feet didn't slip from under me. Obviously you can still slip if you aren't careful but they are the best I have found.

Not the cheapest(and there may be cheaper alternatives available) but I got them in a sale and haven't regretted the expense. It's like tyres on a car--you resent the expense until you aquaplane on a motorway. Next time you buy better tyres. 

27 minutes ago, trane said:

This is a subject I took a great interest in a few years ago after very nearly falling into an emptying lock when I slipped on the lock side. No matter how careful you are (and when I'm on my own I like to think I am careful) but the combination of rain and moss on the stone caught me out. 

I have ended up with different shoes for different conditions. I bought a pair of waterproof  hiking type shoes that had the soles marked as "sticky rubber". They have no midsole and no discernible heel and were the most uncomfortable shoe for long dog walks I ever had--but the lack of rigidity on the sole means they put a lot of sole in contact with the deck and the soft rubber compound grips to the steel. Never had a problem in the dry or damp and most importantly I have confidence in them. I believe they were designed for scrambling on rocks/light rock climbing. Merrell don't make them anymore but a sports shop should be able to provide an alternative.

In the wet it was a bit harder. I tried the traditional siped sole boat shoe--these had thin grooves cut into a flat sole and are probably fine if you never leave the boat but on a muddy towpath the grooves filled with grit and mud and became slick. Standard hiking boots were lethal--plenty of grip in the mud but too slippery in the wet.

I struggled to find a good shoe/boot for the wet and muddy towpath until I read an article regarding Vibram soles. Apparently they make many different soles but the majority of customers want shoes that last so have a hard rubber compound that are slippery in the wet. I looked for a softer compound and ended up buying a Merrell zion  waterproof hiking shoe with a Vibram Megagrip sole. The lugs on the sole don't seem to hold the mud as others do. They have a flat sole and have the best grip of any shoe I can find. I noticed the difference when pushing on a lock beam in the wet and my feet didn't slip from under me. Obviously you can still slip if you aren't careful but they are the best I have found.

Not the cheapest(and there may be cheaper alternatives available) but I got them in a sale and haven't regretted the expense. It's like tyres on a car--you resent the expense until you aquaplane on a motorway. Next time you buy better tyres. 

I have a couple of pairs of shoes with vibram megagrip and they are excellent in mud, but I still wouldn't recommend them for wet gunwales, not enough contact.  They are common on better trail running shoes in the £120-£150 bracket.

Edited by doratheexplorer

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

Anyone using normal gloss or enamel paint without a non-slip additive on a deck or roof is asking for trouble. I use a non-slip deck paint myself and never slipped on it.

I've seen people painting their roofs in ordinary enamel paint who claim never to walk on the roof. That's fine for them I suppose but what if someone else does? In an emergency for example, another boater might try to help by coming down from a lock onto a wet slippery enamel roof assuming it's painted with a proper non-slip deck paint. Could have two accidents instead of just one.

People are free to do what they want with their own boats I suppose, even if it's unsafe.

My roof and gunwales are painted with Epifanes Grey, probably Multiforte, but I am not sure on that. Never had a problem slipping

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have a couple of pairs of shoes with vibram megagrip and they are excellent in mud, but I still wouldn't recommend them for wet gunwales, not enough contact.  They are common on better trail running shoes in the £120-£150 bracket.

My Panama Jacks have Vibram soles

Edited by ditchcrawler