Leaking Thetford C200 toilet....yuck

OTL

Featured Posts

Hi there.

I've been having a problem recently with a leak from my Thetford c200 toilet bowel to my cassette.

The problem appears to be that water from the electric flush is seeping past the shutter blade of the cassette which results in a the cassette being covered in water as well as the cassette cupboard taking on water where the cassette slides in.

Initially I thought it was an issue with one of my cassettes but now using my third one I can see the problem in persisting.

It's getting to the point where I will slide the cassette out from beneath the toilet only to find it totally covered in water but not urine or feces...so could it be a problem with the toilet bowl itself?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Are you leaving water in the bowl? 

The bowl should be dry at all times and the flap opened before use so at no time can liquid collect above the flap. 

It is also possible that the water pressure in the boat is high and water is leaking round the flush valve, I have had this happen and cured it by fitting a Shower valve in the water feed.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Are you leaving water in the bowl? 

The bowl should be dry at all times and the flap opened before use so at no time can liquid collect above the flap. 

It is also possible that the water pressure in the boat is high and water is leaking round the flush valve, I have had this happen and cured it by fitting a Shower valve in the water feed.

I have always found it better to leave a little water in these toilets to ensure the seal is working properly and never had the problem described, but always drained it before removing the cassette.

19 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I have always found it better to leave a little water in these toilets to ensure the seal is working properly and never had the problem described, but always drained it before removing the cassette.

The instructions for the toilet used to specially say do not leave water in the bowl, you will always get a bit sitting on top of the blade. I think you have been lucky 🤭

7 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

The last Thetford cassette toilet I bought was £55 from a camping shop. 

Rather than mess around with your old bog,buy a new one.

I think you may be confusing a cassette toilet with a porta potty.

A Thetford cassette toilet (C200) runs to around £400

A Thetford 'Porta Potty' (Cube 145) runs to around £50

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can get what they call a C200 "fresh up kit" comprising cassette and seat for £100. Worth checking very carefully whether the problem lies with the cassettes, or the way they are being used, or as someone, noted a leaky flush or some problem with the bowl.

https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1940013?istCompanyId=f3473768-c338-454e-ba46-40b20dccfa45&istFeedId=0ea19da4-0d7c-4383-8f60-0f3d2d40e25e&istItemId=pwixmlpti&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5waj567a0mPB9A8-Rk8BcAThenlW-GHUfKQV_Pxvgx3DxrJmT8Ol-YcIaAp-EEALw_wcB

Edited by alias

6 minutes ago, alias said:

You can get what they call a C200 "fresh up kit" comprising cassette and seat for £100. Worth checking very carefully whether the problem lies with the cassettes, or the way they are being used, or as someone, noted a leaky flush or some problem with the bowl.

https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1940013?istCompanyId=f3473768-c338-454e-ba46-40b20dccfa45&istFeedId=0ea19da4-0d7c-4383-8f60-0f3d2d40e25e&istItemId=pwixmlpti&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5waj567a0mPB9A8-Rk8BcAThenlW-GHUfKQV_Pxvgx3DxrJmT8Ol-YcIaAp-EEALw_wcB

I know.

I was answering Mad Harolds statement that he had bought a new Thetford cassette for £50

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think he means buy a new C200 cassette. A new cassette costs around £70 to £100.

Having said that, a lip seal is only a few quid, and is easy to fit, as I have already suggested.

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I think he means buy a new C200 cassette. A new cassette costs around £70 to £100.

Not sure that would achieve a great deal (apart from emptying his pocket) as he stated in the initial post (paragraph 4) that he had now tried 3 different cassettes and the problem remains.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not sure that would achieve a great deal (apart from emptying his pocket) as he stated in the initial post (paragraph 4) that he had now tried 3 different cassettes and the problem remains.

I don't think I was suggesting the purchase of a new cassette, merely clearing up your misunderstanding of what Harold suggested.

I found that the lip seals on 2 of my cassettes failed at around the same time, which meant that flush water could get past the seal and onto the outside of the cassette. Replaced them both, and all good.... so worth the OP having a go, for what it costs.

I have. C200 with electric flush, but was tired of filling the flush tank, I have now hard plumbed it. Lift out the roll holder to get access to the pump and pipe, drill a hole at rear right to bring the pipe up and out to connect to a tap. It won't solve your issue though. I reckon you need to leave it dry!

• 1 month later...

I've got the same problem on my C220.  I've been told its a leak from the tubing up inside the bowl. This tubing is just pushed on without hose clips and drips fresh water down onto the cassette.  There is a film on youtube about taking the bowl off and shows the tubing.  I hav'nt tried to do it yet but it looks a lot of fun.