Surveyor for safety inspection

Featured Posts

Is the BSS certificate marked leisure use only? What if Mr. Leisure boater gets a test which passes and sells the boat next week to someone who lives aboard BSS still valid?

1 minute ago, Mike Hurley said:

Is the BSS certificate marked leisure use only? What if Mr. Leisure boater gets a test which passes and sells the boat next week to someone who lives aboard BSS still valid?

It's still not a BSS rule.  It's GSIUR as applied to a vessel used as a dwelling place.

If it's a dwelling place the rules apply, if it isn't the rules don't.

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

A BSS inspector who is not Gas Safe LPG + Boats registered testing a boat without a bubble tester in the gas system is committing a criminal offence and your BSSC is invalid ...

I was with you until the last bit. Where does it say the BSS ticket will be invalid if the tightness test is passed but carried out by someone unqualified to do it?

Edited by MtB
Spelling and grammar!

4 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

As I understand it the GSIUR requires people carrying out 'work' on gas systems on residential properties, including boats, to have the relevant competence. So that requirement only applies while the 'work' is being done. So if the boat later becomes residential the BSC continues to be valid, but when it comes to be renewed the GSIUR requirements will apply.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I was with you until the last bit. Where does it say the BSS ticket will be invalid if the tightness test is passed but carried out by someone unqualified to do it?

I'm not sure it does say that but if an unqualified person did the BSS test using a manometer against GSIUR it can't be a valid test, can it?

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm not sure it does say that but if an unqualified person did the BSS test using a manometer against GSIUR it can't be a valid test, can it?

How about if an examiner comes on the boat, sits in the saloon, has a cup of tea and a biscuit, signs off the BSS without even looking at anything - simply saying "it passed last time so it will this time".

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How about if an examiner comes on the boat, sits in the saloon, has a cup of tea and a biscuit, signs off the BSS without even looking at anything - simply saying "it passed last time so it will this time".

But was he GSR with LPG for Boats??

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Why not? It might be an offence to do paid "work" on an LPG system, but that wouldn't invalidate the result. Thinking about it, it's probably legal if the boater does the test while the examiner observes. Wouldn't like to test that, though!

4 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Thinking about it, it's probably legal if the boater does the test while the examiner observes.

Actually that's probably true in terms of GSIUR.  If the owner, unpaid, connects the manometer to the test point the (unregistered) BSS inspector can watch the drop and decide if it's OK or not then the owner can. again unpaid. remove the tube and refit the plug to the test point.

I still think it's far simpler to just have a bubble tester though - if nothing else you can check your gas tightness every time you fancy doing so rather than once every 4 years.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink