Jump to content

Swapping from red diesel to HVO fuel


Bosley Dave

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Does standard HVO have red dye added? Just curious for no particular reason. 

 

Also I'm wondering about using it in the pressure jet oil boiler I have in the cottage. In addition to a new nozzle and an adjustment to the oil pump pressure, ten minutes with a gas analyser adjusting the air will be necessary too. Still should not cost anything like £500. 

 

What probably does cost £500 is fully emptying the kerosene tank and all pipework of kerosene in advance of the HVO delivery, and a change of filters, plus disposal of the residual kerosene. Then a second visit once filled with HVO to swap nozzles and re-commission the boiler, so £500 all-in seems about right although YMMV.

It's available with red dye added or white as road fuel with the appropriate differences of duty.

My boiler has a Riello pressure jet burner which I had problems in setting up after fitting it as a replacement and I had to call in an engineer at £90 an hour. 2 hours later and £180 lighter and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. I fixed it myself in the end when I discovered it was getting far too much air. I was using red diesel then but since changing to HVO I haven't had to make any adjustments.

 

Keith

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

It's available with red dye added or white as road fuel with the appropriate differences of duty.

My boiler has a Riello pressure jet burner which I had problems in setting up after fitting it as a replacement and I had to call in an engineer at £90 an hour. 2 hours later and £180 lighter and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. I fixed it myself in the end when I discovered it was getting far too much air. I was using red diesel then but since changing to HVO I haven't had to make any adjustments.

 

Keith

 

Shocking. 

 

1) If I can't fix a fault I don't charge. This is a major selling point but never happens. Gives the customer confidence to book me though.

 

2) If you must choose the cheapest guy in the book what do you expect?! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

Shocking. 

 

1) If I can't fix a fault I don't charge. This is a major selling point but never happens. Gives the customer confidence to book me though.

 

2) If you must choose the cheapest guy in the book what do you expect?! 

 

 

£90 an hour the cheapest!

 

Keith

  • Horror 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 20:33, David Mack said:

Which is fine if you have somewhere to store the drums. Not sure you can legally store fuel in an IBC. And to transfer the fuel to the boat you either need a waterside storage location, or you are limited to carrying it in containers of no more than 60 litres - in practice jerry cans may be more practical. So hardly convenient, and with higher risk of spillage compared with conventional refuelling.

 

Unless the law has changed since 2007, if any type of oil is stored outside, quantities of 200 litres and above must be stored in a bunded container in England and Wales. There are commercially available bunded drum stands to put 205 litre drums on.

 

In Scotland bunded containers apply to all oil stored in quantities of 200 litres and above, whether the container is inside or outside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Unless the law has changed since 2007, if any type of oil is stored outside, quantities of 200 litres and above must be stored in a bunded container in England and Wales. There are commercially available bunded drum stands to put 205 litre drums on.

 

In Scotland bunded containers apply to all oil stored in quantities of 200 litres and above, whether the container is inside or outside.

And they don't work very well when full of rain water

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 20:26, frangar said:

I agree about the cat and DPF....ruins the smell....thankfully my JP is free of such things so I I get the full effect!...lovely!...I think the smell of the modern stuff has been tainted by the veg oil etc in it!

 

Nah, it's the smell of the now removed sulphur that you are missing. Gas oil from the 1980's and earlier had 5% sulphur in it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And they don't work very well when full of rain water

 

Indeed, I once visited a BT radio station where someone had removed a brick from the bund wall so they didn't have to keep pumping the rainwater out.

 

I said it must be a very intelligent hole, to know to let rainwater out but not oil, but the humour was lost on the technician 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 21:51, MtB said:

Does standard HVO have red dye added? Just curious for no particular reason. 

 

Also I'm wondering about using it in the pressure jet oil boiler I have in the cottage. In addition to a new nozzle and an adjustment to the oil pump pressure, ten minutes with a gas analyser adjusting the air will be necessary too. Still should not cost anything like £500. 

 

What probably does cost £500 is fully emptying the kerosene tank and all pipework of kerosene in advance of the HVO delivery, and a change of filters, plus disposal of the residual kerosene. Then a second visit once filled with HVO to swap nozzles and re-commission the boiler, so £500 all-in seems about right although YMMV.

Yes, as is stated in a subsequent post it comes in 'clear' form (indistinguishable from water) and with the red dye. At the pump it is currently £1.50/litre for white and £0.88 for red. Unfortunately we are now dealing with new stock just delivered in by tanker (ship) to Stanlow. The previous stock was going out at about £0.72/litre and there may still be some around. This is an unfortunate rise when the escalating price of mineral diesel had finally started to give HVO a price advantage.

 

In the course of trials over the winter, I've used it satisfactorily in my Dickinson pot burner and it has been used in a Mikuni, an Eberspächer and a Webasto as well as a MX50 which is the Mikuni replacement from the same importers who have conducted their own satisfactory trials. All show a significantly cleaner burn. Subsequently both Eberspächer and Webasto have given their own (somewhat grudging) OEM approval to the use of HVO in their appliances with the proviso that they must be new installations. Read into that what you will as I'm slightly at a loss!

 

As for using it in your PJ boiler in your cottage, you know the score and will obviously have the kit. I have no reason to believe it is not other than you have outlined (speaking as a retired installer of oil boilers). I wouldn't hesitate.

 

A lot of trials work was undertaken over last winter and OFTEC, as you would expect, have been involved. There is just the thorny RTFO/RTFC issue to be resolved which is where the IWA SBG are turning their campaigning attention. I know my local Fuel supplier – James Bilsland of Glasgow – conducted their trial so you could speak to them or OFTEC for chapter and verse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 19:55, frangar said:

But its not going into a boat as far as the retailer knows....it's going into a can....same as if it goes into a can at boatyard...so you vehicle reg will be taken but no propulsion "tax" will be added....same as if you buy it in cans from the garage by grindley brook etc...not quite sure what details they take if you walk up with a can.....

Occasionally the local plod/highways have a car parked in the pub car park opposite, I'm sure they are just having a brew :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tree monkey said:

Occasionally the local plod/highways have a car parked in the pub car park opposite, I'm sure they are just having a brew :)

I’m not sure they will be stressed about some Cherry in a can….besides if you go fast enough they are too busy eating donuts to notice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, frangar said:

I’m not sure they will be stressed about some Cherry in a can….besides if you go fast enough they are too busy eating donuts to notice. 

It maybe just local gossip but they have caught some idiots who bought in cans nipped round the corner and poured straight into the tank

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I do wonder if next April cherry will become unavailable in garages? Its the obvious solution as it can't be used on building sites change is coming I suspect 

 

Where will people in the world of farming buy theirs in small quantities then?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.