Jump to content

Atherstone Flight


ditchcrawler
 Share

Featured Posts

Bugger..

 

Were you going up or down?

 

If it's the same issue that affected the Bunbury locks a few weeks back it took a week to sort that one, most of which was CRT making the area safe then deciding what to do next. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And of course locks 8-9 are dreadful still, leaking badly from all gates and draining the pounds.

 

Been like it for near two years.

 

£45m being spent to keep towpaths open for walkers/cyclists and other non boating stuff i ready today.

 

Life's better by water though.

Edited by Dave Payne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

And of course locks 8-9 are dreadful still, leaking badly from all gates and draining the pounds.

 

Been like it for near two years.

 

£45m being spent to keep towpaths open for walkers/cyclists and other non boating stuff i ready today.

 

Life's better by water though.

Aha but (spending money on)  keeping the towpath spick and span goes towards justifying the government grant  - which boats don't do...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

C&RT Emergency team are on to it, so it will be sorted in no time at all 🤔

 

If not, it will mess up all those hire boaters racing around the ring in a week. Of course it could mess up the fortnight ones as well - Us next week!!!!

Edited by RAB
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just been told the lock so I presume the flight is being locked up at 5pm today, as to tomorrow the CRT chap said something along the lines of boards going in at 8 tomorrow, I have to add the last bit I'm not sure about as it was a shouted conversation and I'm a deaf sod

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Just been told the lock so I presume the flight is being locked up at 5pm today, as to tomorrow the CRT chap said something along the lines of boards going in at 8 tomorrow, I have to add the last bit I'm not sure about as it was a shouted conversation and I'm a deaf sod

Thats right, chatted with him when he came to get Rick on the fuel boat down. Been working since 7am this morning and back tomorrow with the planks. I only have 3 locks to do backward to be able to wind.
Where are you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It has been one of those days today.

 

Took the boat to the winding hole to turn it round in readiness for a trip and the engine wouldnt stop when I pressed the stop button. Luckily it was dirty contacts on the stop button rather thsn the stop solenoid.

 

Then Atherstone lock 10 failed, so depending on how long it takes to repair may have to turn the boat and replan a route.

 

Then Mrs Hound's hairdresser texted her to say she had tested positive, so we had to rush around to find a local chemist with lateral flow test. Fortunately we have both tested negative.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

 

Then Mrs Hound's hairdresser texted her to say she had tested positive, so we had to rush around to find a local chemist with lateral flow test. Fortunately we have both tested negative.

 

 

 

For hair?, I know you didnt have a lot up top, but Mrs Hound had a fine bob.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Atherstone Lock 10 now open again.

 

Notice Update: 26th August 21

Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Coventry Canal
Location: Atherstone Lock 10, Coventry Canal
Starts At: Lock 10
Ends At: Lock 10
Up Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole, Grendon
Down Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole, Atherstone Top Lock


 

Update on 26/08/2021:

Our teams have completed repairs to the Lock. Lock 10 has reopened. Please proceed with care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

Atherstone Lock 10 now open again.

 

Notice Update: 26th August 21

Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Coventry Canal
Location: Atherstone Lock 10, Coventry Canal
Starts At: Lock 10
Ends At: Lock 10
Up Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole, Grendon
Down Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole, Atherstone Top Lock


 

Update on 26/08/2021:

Our teams have completed repairs to the Lock. Lock 10 has reopened. Please proceed with care.

 

DSCF5594 (2).JPG

  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/08/2021 at 08:32, cuthound said:

 

Looks like CRT have added paddle boards to their maintence fleet! 🤣😂

 

They were loading that lot up on the vans Thursday afternoon when i used the services at Grendon, nice to see a quick fix, but is it another plaster applied?

 

Lock 17 on the T&M has a ratchet strap wrapped it to keep it together, been like it for three months, lock 14 on the T&M is leaking badly from the top gate, you can see why when you open the top paddles, boats get pulled in that fast you cant stop so hit the gate, unless of course you open the paddles one click at a time.

 

Maybe instead of signs telling everyone apart from boaters that its great by water, they could put some simple signs up at certain locks telling people the way the lock reacts, its ok if you have been through it before, but for first timers its always difficult to judge a lock.

 

 

Edited by Dave Payne
  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

 

They were loading that lot up on the vans Thursday afternoon when i used the services at Grendon, nice to see a quick fix, but is it another plaster applied?

 

Lock 17 on the T&M has a ratchet strap wrapped it to keep it together, been like it for three months, lock 14 on the T&M is leaking badly from the top gate, you can see why when you open the top paddles, boats get pulled in that fast you cant stop so hit the gate, unless of course you open the paddles one click at a time.

 

Maybe instead of signs telling everyone apart from boaters that its great by water, they could put some simple signs up at certain locks telling people the way the lock reacts, its ok if you have been through it before, but for first timers its always difficult to judge a lock.

 

 

 

When going up or down a lock I always rest the bow fender on the gate.

 

Going uphill I leave the boat in gear until the lock is about a qurter full. That way if the uphill lock has a strong pull, the boat cannot be drawn forward and slammed into the gate. You do however have to remain on ths boat (so not suited for single handing, but when single handing I use a line to hold thd boat against the gate) and be extra vigilant to ensure the boat doesn't catch on the gate.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

When going up or down a lock I always rest the bow fender on the gate.

 

Going uphill I leave the boat in gear until the lock is about a qurter full. That way if the uphill lock has a strong pull, the boat cannot be drawn forward and slammed into the gate. You do however have to remain on ths boat (so not suited for single handing, but when single handing I use a line to hold thd boat against the gate) and be extra vigilant to ensure the boat doesn't catch on the gate.

 

 

That's how my mate sank his boat. I just tie the thing up so it can't hit the gate. Seems simpler all round, but in the end the boat owner does it the way they feel confident. Sometimes, as my friend discovered after 40 years on the boat, it doesn't always work out, which I suppose is what insurance is for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's how my mate sank his boat. I just tie the thing up so it can't hit the gate. Seems simpler all round, but in the end the boat owner does it the way they feel confident. Sometimes, as my friend discovered after 40 years on the boat, it doesn't always work out, which I suppose is what insurance is for.

 

Yes sinking is a risk which is why I said you need to be extra vigilant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.