Ashby Canal vandalism.

pig

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Whatever the cause its pretty shite that the site owner @DHutch doesnt seem to have the 'were with all' to sort this.

Perhaps if he visited the forum more often he might even know it was an issue?

Yes, he is aware of it.

So the avatars which people see seem tp depend on what sort of computer or other device they're reading the forum on.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If we can establish in which post and exactly when this slightly offensive avatar first appeared we should be able to discover which deranged mind brought about the alteration.

Not mine!

Although I didn't choose it I am not sure that it's offensive, not even slightly so. They're not as good looking as my boat, but......

3 hours ago, Beo said:

Why is it funny that people might find this avatar demeaning @Athy? It seems that I am not on my own in finding it inappropriate.

And, iirc, it was illegal and landed the organiser in deep trouble!

Edited by Mike Todd

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

And, iirc, it was illegal and landed the organiser in deep trouble!

Could you explain that? We don't know who has organised it, if indeed it was the work of a real person rather than some sort of computer technology.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Could you explain that? We don't know who has organised it, if indeed it was the work of a real person rather than some sort of computer technology.

Owners of websites and forums are legally responsible for what is posted, hence the current 'worldwide attack' by the public and governments on Facebook for allowing all these racists posts we keep hearing about.

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Owners of websites and forums are legally responsible for what is posted, hence the current 'worldwide attack' by the public and governments on Facebook for allowing all these racists posts we keep hearing about.

Thanks, but I can see no relevance to the avatar which briefly replaced my proper one. 

I assume that your appending "that we keep hearing about" suggests that you haven't seen any. Neither have I, nor indeed had I heard of them.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I assume that your appending "that we keep hearing about" suggests that you haven't seen any. Neither have I, nor indeed had I heard of them.

Well I wouldn't as I dont farcebook, twatter or any other sort of similar stuff.

My limits to social media are a few forums such as this.

The 'facts and demands by the world' are regulary mentioned on BBC news. I believe that in the last few days Farcebook has actually apologised for not picking up on some of this racism following the footer.

Police investigations are ongoing.

Facebook, Twitter under fire after England players face racial abuse (cnbc.com)

England Euro 2020: Probe into racist Facebook posts continues - BBC News

Just 2-hits out of thousands listed on google.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well I wouldn't as I dont farcebook, twatter or any other sort of similar stuff.

My limits to social media are a few forums such as this.

The 'facts and demands by the world' are regulary mentioned on BBC news. I believe that in the last few days Farcebook has actually apologised for not picking up on some of this racism following the footer.

Police investigations are ongoing.

Facebook, Twitter under fire after England players face racial abuse (cnbc.com)

England Euro 2020: Probe into racist Facebook posts continues - BBC News

Just 2-hits out of thousands listed on google.

But whatever else you may think of it, I don't think the image which displayed as Athy's avatar can be described as racist. 

Indeed I feel that it would have been a perfectly legitimate image (assuming no copyright issues), albeit perhaps somewhat inappropriate, for use as a member's avatar on the forum if the member had chosen to use it. 

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But whatever else you may think of it, I don't think the image which displayed as Athy's avatar can be described as racist. 

Indeed I feel that it would have been a perfectly legitimate image (assuming no copyright issues), albeit perhaps somewhat inappropriate, for use as a member's avatar on the forum if the member had chosen to use it. 

I'm sure Alan wasn't suggesting it was, it was just the way he phrased his comment.

The picture is not inappropriate, just inexplicable! Though one kind and knowledgeable member has been it touch to say that he knows where it comes from.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Thanks, but I can see no relevance to the avatar which briefly replaced my proper one. 

Are we saying Dan will go to prison if the Forum IT wizzos don't go through the site and remove all trace of your bums. Actually I would be more concerned how they got there.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are we saying Dan will go to prison if the Forum IT wizzos don't go through the site and remove all trace of your bums. Actually I would be more concerned how they got there.

Tee-hee.

As stated above, I have no idea how it got there (and don't really care( but a forum m3ember with a good understanding of I.T. has found out.

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

Tee-hee.

As stated above, I have no idea how it got there (and don't really care( but a forum m3ember with a good understanding of I.T. has found out.

So why is it still there Athy? Its not what I would expect of a forum moderator, should you not be reconsidering your position?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So why is it still there Athy? Its not what I would expect of a forum moderator, should you not be reconsidering your position?

It's not there for me and it's appearance is unlikely to have been Athys choice or doing

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

Tee-hee.

I would be curious to know how it happened 

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well I have just signed out, reloaded the site and its still   there so I cannot be the only one.

As a wild arsed guess you need to clear your cache, it certainly seems to be the new "have you switched it off and on again"

The presence of the picture in the avatar is beyond Athy's control - not everyone is seeing it and when it was first reported we didn't know what the report was on about until a screen shot was sent. I see a picture of Athy's boat, not the alternative you are all discussing. 

At the moment posted content turns out to be the result of third party intervention, then there is no longer an issue of whether any rules have been broken - they haven't. The issue is more "how did this happen?"

We are investigating how this has arisen, I think I can safely state that none of us on the staff side could plan an alternative avatar that only appeared intermittently, I know plenty of people (not necessarily forum members) who could post content or change the avatar of a member without that member's knowledge, but the change would be 100%, everyone would see it. 

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

At the moment posted content turns out to be the result of third party intervention, then there is no longer an issue of whether any rules have been broken - they haven't. The issue is more "how did this happen?"

This is the bit that worries me, if somehow a mods poster can be modified what else could happen. I am not worried about what it was just what can happen.

17 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

As a wild arsed guess you need to clear your cache, it certainly seems to be the new "have you switched it off and on again"

I just tried clearing the browser cache and I still see the “alternate” avatar, so utterly is not that simple, there is stuff of the server end that is still serving this image.  Caching can certainly be a pain, when I worked for a living developing web software I have been caught out more then once by it.  I would expect that the forum software it set up to aggressively cache avatars, as they are a really changed item.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is the bit that worries me, if somehow a mods poster can be modified what else could happen. I am not worried about what it was just what can happen.

It worries us a bit too - we (not me, I'm pushing my tech limits with mod duties, but "we") are looking into this and being vigilant whilst we do. 

My understanding is it's something to do with the url of the avatar sending certain viewers to the wrong place,  but my knowledge on these matters is limited. 

If members see suspect material on the forum please report it - we'll investigate as best we can, but please bear in mind we have lives too!