Thoughts on this boat welcome, please

NB DW2

Featured Posts

I'd be keen on knowing if anyone knows anything of this boat which might be of use to me...

It's a total oddity compared to most stuff that's out there but I love the shell design.  I do quite like the layout, it's fairly well spec'd (50hp Beta, diesel generator, 3KW Victron inverter, 3 ways of heating water etc) and the condition looks good and it'll have been well looked after if this is anything to go by.  Not too keen on the white-washed approach but some oak trims could break that up.  Storage seems OK for what would be a liveaboard too.

Price is top-heavy even in today's market.  It's been hanging around for a bit now.  Other than the price, maybe the 2 single beds is putting some off too.

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/tarn/

Thanks in advance.

Probably one of the higher specced boats for the age Stowe Hill produced(and they went very high specced at some points).

Always been maintained very well by the owners to my knowledge, on an end of garden mooring for its whole non cruising life.

The side panels and wood effect back end are an added bonus. Looks and steers well.

A boat I would have considered if I hadnt found old friends and they were selling at the time.!!

I dont think its very over priced, if it's still as good inside as it was .

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I'd be keen on knowing if anyone knows anything of this boat which might be of use to me...

It's a total oddity compared to most stuff that's out there but I love the shell design.  I do quite like the layout, it's fairly well spec'd (50hp Beta, diesel generator, 3KW Victron inverter, 3 ways of heating water etc) and the condition looks good and it'll have been well looked after if this is anything to go by.  Not too keen on the white-washed approach but some oak trims could break that up.  Storage seems OK for what would be a liveaboard too.

Price is top-heavy even in today's market.  It's been hanging around for a bit now.  Other than the price, maybe the 2 single beds is putting some off too.

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/tarn/

Thanks in advance.

Normally moored on the T&M at Wolseley 

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

Probably one of the higher specced boats for the age Stowe Hill produced(and they went very high specced at some points).

Always been maintained very well by the owners to my knowledge, on an end of garden mooring for its whole non cruising life.

The side panels and wood effect back end are an added bonus. Looks and steers well.

A boat I would have considered if I hadnt found old friends and they were selling at the time.!!

Many thanks.  

It's a boat you know personally?  It's been a pied de terre rather than something that's been out an about then?  Considering its age I'm assuming that's not the original paint, either.

When you say side panels and wood effect back end?

Would you know if the interior was originally white or has been painted over?  Normally alarm bells would ring and I'd assume it'd potentially have been done to hide water staining but not sure that'd the case with this boat.  

We had 2 single beds like that on our old boat when we bought it. Rather than reworking them we made a board that sat over the walk way between the beds so we could pull the mattresses together to make a 5ft width double. An elasticated sheet kept the two mattresses together. A little hassle making and unmaking the bed but it worked for 14 years before we sold it for a new boat.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What's under the tug deck? Looks like a space wasted.

Water tank? Theres a filler poking out in the corner.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What's under the tug deck? Looks like a space wasted.

Nothing by the looks of it.  Other than what I'm guessing is a s/s water tank.  The dedicated storage on the bow doesn't appear to go backwards under the deck to make use of the space.

Please, please buy it, my other half loves it and has been on about looking at it for a few weeks, and i can’t stand it :D 

Think they knocked 5k off last week and she was threatening to go look at it on her own.

5 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I'll give them a bell tomorrow.  Shame nobody has a link to the owner.  Knowing Great Haywood it'll already be sold and they've not bothered to update their site as ever.  I'd do anything not to deal with them.

image.png.b834b2c847bc5e7d3b24cea63ee13666.png

• Greenie 1

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

Please, please buy it, my other half loves it and has been on about looking at it for a few weeks, and i can’t stand it :D 

Think they knocked 5k off last week and she was threatening to go look at it on her own.

Never seen such a divided opinion on a boat!  I don't like the white washed panels but as I say, with a bit of oak trim it could be broken up a bit.

With Great Haywood being what they are, I found the original brochure online where it's up for £85k.  I wasn't aware it was only just reduced as soon as last week.  Perhaps it's actually still available.  It'd be a first.

While there's a lot of good craftsmanship on that boat, there are a few features of the shell that put me off:

- The bow shape in profile has more in common with a converted day boat or a butty stern going backwards than the more usual graceful curve of a narrow boat bow.

- The bow shape in plan has that horrible pinched look which seems to be a Stowe Hill speciality (although not as extreme as some others e.g. Sentinel)

- Around the bow it has 'rivets' in what would have been the wooden cants on a working boat. They should be a couple of inches lower. 

- The low tug style hull has resulted in the need for an over high main cabin, which looks unbalanced outside, and also leads to an odd low gunwale line internally.

- The fore cabin is similarly too high. Often this is necessitated by a need to accommodate gas bottles, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

I would say 90% of boat buyers are put off by the bed arrangement, so if it suits you, plough in there with a lower offer.

If it's not actually at Great Haywood and still on the original mooring, go and knock on the door and make an offer to the owners that suits you both given their customary awful service. 

I would say it may well the the original paint job well maintained, they do a good paint job there.

😉

• Greenie 1