Gas lock strong smell of gas

Leap of faith

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I have a strong smell of gas in my gas locker. I am assuming I need to  replace the hoses/connectors so that I no longer have a leak. I can smell gas as I am sitting on the bow and it increases when I open the locker. There is no smell of gas inside the boat. The locker is vented. Do I need to get a gas safe engineer to do all the replacements. I did have a BSC cert done in February. What is the best move in this situation?

6 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

Hi everyone,

I have a strong smell of gas in my gas locker. I am assuming I need to  replace the hoses/connectors so that I no longer have a leak. I can smell gas as I am sitting on the bow and it increases when I open the locker. There is no smell of gas inside the boat. The locker is vented. Do I need to get a gas safe engineer to do all the replacements. I did have a BSC cert done in February. What is the best move in this situation?

Hi.

How recent was the last time you changed a gas bottle? I.E. is it possible you didn’t quite do a connection up tight?

51 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Hi.

How recent was the last time you changed a gas bottle? I.E. is it possible you didn’t quite do a connection up tight?

When gas companies refill their bottles they are supposed to flush them.

They insert a liquid to give the gas its smell. This liquid can build up and enter the system if the bottles are not flushed and just refilled.

This liquid will sit at the lowest point and slowly block the pipes. 

If possible see if this is a problem and drain the pipes.

Also how old are your regulator and pig tails?

Boats with gas | Boat Safety Scheme | Go Boating - Stay Safe

avoiding - lpg.pdf (boatsafetyscheme.org)

Edited by Ray T

You can test for leaks with washing up liquid, an egg cup full of Fairy or something and a dash of water, paint it over every join etc. Chances are that there is no discernible leak in which case have you recently changed a bottle? That stinky stuff that Ray T referred to really hangs around.

Flexible hose will have a date of manufacture on it. If the hose is more than five years old, then it is time to replace it. The hose will become more porous to gas as it ages. Type depends on if it is low pressure, or high pressure hose. If the regulator is connected direct to the bottle, then it is low pressure. Check the boat safety scheme requirements for the acceptable types. No advice on high pressure side hoses if that is what you have. This would be hose between the bottle and regulator.

As has already been mentioned, if the connection to the bottle isn't tight enough then this can also leak.

Jen

15 minutes ago, Chris John said:

I notice no ones told you to turn the bottle off and fix the issue. Might be a good idea ?

I couldn't agree more, boating around with a known gas leak is not best Practice LadyG had similar

15 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

From the BSS. The pipes will have a label stating Non Return Valve Fitted on them

image.png.0ce0ecfe767c7c75f9fc1263cc63289a.png

I thought that was the section you were refering to :

When you said : "Remember hoses from bottle to regulator must have non return valves fitted"

The BSS only required an NRV to be fitted if multiple bottles are connected on the HP side.