Banbury Lift Bridge 164 Oxford Canal.

Maffi

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

Wouldnt know if it has been turned around?

All I do know is that heading south the upper bridge landing is on the starboard side as is the operating gear as is the lower landing, you do not cross the bridge at all.

The control panel is on the towpath side - the "operating gear" is where it always was, on the non-towpath side

18 hours ago, Loddon said:

They are and none are hydraulic ?

Oh and they were designed to be dropped rather than wound down.

Tell that to the locksmurfs!

ETA Oops, I see we already have. I really should read through to the end of a thread before posting.

Edited by Victor Vectis

18 hours ago, frangar said:

Lol....the Vlockies sense of humour failed too when I pointed out they weren't hydraulic....thats why they hide in their hut now when I go through...

Just in case anyone is interested here's the patent...Note the are designed to lower under their own weight!372219278_HamBakerpaddleJPG.jpg.0589119d65b86e4ce1b5e3025bb69172.jpg

But . . . as I understand it, the conventional early paddles were also designed to be dropped as well. This why they are fitted with a sacrificial wood strip at the bottom to act as a cushion. Alas, that assumes a level of routine maintenance that is not affordable today and the instruction not to drop them is economic rather than historical. In the case of Ham Baker, I have not yet encountered any (many?) that are so badly maintained that they run away with themselves although, if you leave a windlass on one then you may well see how fast they can really go!

BTW Ham Baker still exist, as I recall, making similar items today although mostly slightly larger.

12 hours ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

I wasn't being rude I am just a straight talker. Neither am I incorrect.

Up until just recently the Lift bridge at the Mill in Heyford was a manual lift bridge and operated from the other side, had it been the other way around to 'make it easier to operate from the towpath side how would the horses have got over the beams?

I fail to see how it can be a pain in the A... when you signed up for it! The canal is what it is. Whoopee so you are a man of property! What do you want a medal?

No the post was not about the bridge operating set up it was a plea for people to complain to CRT that it was hard to operate.

No they haven't. They electrified it and put the control console on the tow path side, via a conduit that goes over the canal.

Same on Caldon

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But . . . as I understand it, the conventional early paddles were also designed to be dropped as well. This why they are fitted with a sacrificial wood strip at the bottom to act as a cushion. Alas, that assumes a level of routine maintenance that is not affordable today and the instruction not to drop them is economic rather than historical.

I have been told a similar story, that some components are now routinely replaced with plastic rather than hardwood versions that are more likely to split with the force of a free drop. 

I don't know if that's true or not. I'd comment though that in these circumstances signs that say "don't do this" are unlikely to be obeyed unless a credible explanation of why not is given at the same time. 

18 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:Thanks for the explanation, but not the rudeness or incorrrect statement part.

Not all Lift and Swing Bridges are like that at all. In fact just a bit further up the canal you will find Mill Lift Bridge No. 205 that has bridge landings and operating gear on the same side and the towpath does not change over.

I did not miss the bollard either, possibly being a "proper boater" might have helped, same as I didnt miss the boat moored just below the bridge using the upper water point, but it was stilll a PITA anyway.

As for 'not being up to it', seeing as you have absolutely no idea what I am up to or not, how can you suggest I get a house - I currently have one under construction, one for sale, one rented, one in Thailand and one in Philippines, what next?

By the way, the post was about the bridge operating set up, not abusing fellow boaters who may have a slightly different opinion to your own.

Welcome to the world of Maffi where the norm is being rude, arrogant, swearing at others and generally thinking he owns the canal system. Just another day in his world...but of course those of us that point it out or have been on the end of his canal abuse are just liars. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Chris John said:

Welcome to the world of Maffi where the norm is being rude, arrogant, swearing at others and generally thinking he owns the canal system. Just another day in his world...but of course those of us that point it out or have been on the end of his canal abuse are just liars. 

A bit harsh I reckon. I have got to know Mr Maffi over the years, not as a friend as such more passing boaters in the day. He is passionate about the canals and he does go out of his way to litter pick to the extent that he picks up stuff bigger than you’d think. People who abuses the canals and towpaths wind him up. I have read posts where he could be described as abrupt and possible rude.

Get to know him better and yours and others opinions may change. I know he is more than capable to ‘look after himself’, but felt something ought to be said.

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

A bit harsh I reckon. I have got to know Mr Maffi over the years, not as a friend as such more passing boaters in the day. He is passionate about the canals and he does go out of his way to litter pick to the extent that he picks up stuff bigger than you’d think. People who abuses the canals and towpaths wind him up. I have read posts where he could be described as abrupt and possible rude.

Get to know him better and yours and others opinions may change. I know he is more than capable to ‘look after himself’, but felt something ought to be said.

Sorry I didn’t realise that picking up some litter gives you the right to shout, swear and be generally obnoxious on the cut (on rude on here). I get it now, that’s where I’ve been going wrong....now where’s my litter picker! 

Ive even shown the advert for the hatton paddles shown in Arteries of commerce, explaining how they work.

They still moan if you drop them. Solution is to ask them to leave the area and stay in the hut. Nowadays if they see us they generally do.

There was one exceptional one last year who steamed down in front of us for half the flight setting ahead. 
Merrily dropping paddles.

36 minutes ago, Chris John said:

I get it now, that’s where I’ve been going wrong....now where’s my litter picker! 

Thats where you are going wrong, either dont drop it in the first place, or pick it up yourself, or expect to get stick off Maffi when he has to pick it up for you and everyone else.

Don't tell me, you own so many properties and pay so much council tax that someone else should do it for you....

?

• Greenie 2

Sorry I didn’t realise that picking up some litter gives you the right to shout, swear and be generally obnoxious on the cut (on rude on here). I get it now, that’s where I’ve been going wrong....now where’s my litter picker! 

Maffi  has been anything but rude to me in all the years I have known him. He is mildly eccentric, but so what.

if you take the time to talk to him rather than abusing him over a platform, I am sure you would see another side to him.

I get on with all different types of members on this forum, many having completely different views to my, why? Because we are boaters 

Edited by Kiwidad
  • Greenie 4

You really need a chill pill. Does any of this really effect life?

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

(snip)In the case of Ham Baker, I have not yet encountered any (many?) that are so badly maintained that they run away with themselves although, if you leave a windlass on one then you may well see how fast they can really go!

BTW Ham Baker still exist, as I recall, making similar items today although mostly slightly larger.

Same on Caldon

Last time we did Hatton, we did. Problem is that if you do the designed whack the "C" clip off with a windlass*, there is nothing you can do to stop the paddle crashing down. Perhaps the volsmurfs could do a bit of basic maintenance?

* I realise that's not the original design, but it seems a bit more durable than the original!

On 21/04/2021 at 19:32, Tracy D'arth said:

There are several confused persons on here, I have told you before, my friend Sam, Boater Sam as was on here before the clowns drove him off, 

That's odd I heard that 'he' was being a bit 'norty' in his posts.

3 hours ago, Chris John said:

I'm glad you admit it at last!?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Down right unpleasant - Sam, Boater Sam & 'Sams Dad', all from the same mould.

Damn is he trying to steal my Crown??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris John said:

Picking up litter doesn't give me any special rights. In the same way you dont have any special rights either. I am still contemplating talking to the police about your threats and stalking!

PS its about 14 tons so far!

Edited by Lord Maffi of Oxford
  • Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

I'm glad you admit it at last!?

Damn is he trying to steal my Crown??

You will have to be busy. There seems to be people on this site who would rather insult others than post anything useful.