Jump to content

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ive never understood why different councils have different rules about stuff and what goes where and in what. In one council gree can mean paper and blue means glass. Then it can mean the polar opposite.

A year or three ago we went on holiday to Scotland - we paused at Magpie the Elder on the way up and the way back - this gave us four different recycling schemes at a house level (never mind the council tip): -

  • Home - Blue box (glass), Green bin (garden / kitchen), Black sack (non recyclable), Clear sack (cardboard, tins and plastic bottles)
  • Stockport - Blue Bin (Paper), Green Bin (Garden / kitchen), Black bin (non recyclable), Brown bin (tins, bottles and plastic)
  • Fort William - Green Bin (food), Black Bin (everything else) - Glass and bottles in town in separate green / clear / brown bins
  • Port Patrick - Green Bin (food and paper / cardboard), Black (non-recyclable), blue bin (plastic and cans), Town Centre (glass)

And don't get me started on Pizza Box's (90% of our cardboard) go in the black bag as they are "contaminated"

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One or two pf those are just plain barmy: why on earth put food in a bin with recyclable cardboard?

 

Here we simply have a green bin (recyclable items) and a black one )(everything else.) This seems sensible. We did have a smaller bin for food waste but they have stopped collecting those since the Bug started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Athy said:

One or two pf those are just plain barmy: why on earth put food in a bin with recyclable cardboard?

 

Here we simply have a green bin (recyclable items) and a black one )(everything else.) This seems sensible. We did have a smaller bin for food waste but they have stopped collecting those since the Bug started.

Isn't it fascinating the variety of schemes/colours.   Kerbside collection we have:

 

Green wheelie for garden waste (it must have come out of the garden i.e. in theory you can put in potato skins if you grew them but not if you bought them)  N.B. I did say in theory.

 

Big thick green sack for plastic bit not plastic bags etc.

Similar bag for paper/card

Green box for glass and tins N.B. not "pyrex".

Blue plastic bag for non recyclable waste.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodness gracious, FIVE different receptacles! That must cause some confusion.

In theory, all garden waste is banned from our bins. In practice, one binbag's worth, if put in the bottom of the black bin and then covered by everything else, always gets through. What the eye don't see, etc.

 

The daftest idea occurred when we lived in Derbyshire. The council decided that cardboard must be collected separately, and gave us all boxes to put it in. These were open-topped. Of course everyone kept them outside and, after a rainy week, their contents were reduced to light brown sludge. Whether that can be recycled I don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Whether that can be recycled I don't know.

That's why we (In Milton Keynes, other districts may vary) have clear sacks for cardboard, paper et al. wet cardboard is apparently no use to man nor beast.

 

Of course this leads to locals chasing the recycling truck down the road with a "you missed me" for 24 sq ft of dry cardboard when it's not raining but...

Link to post
Share on other sites

We now have been given small kitchen food waste bins to sit on the worktop.  What is odd is that it's for the food waste that we can't put on a compost heap, but it goes into a compostable  bag and then into the garden waste bin.  The recyclable mix doesn't make much sense either.  The local tip is friendly enough, but is now run by a private company and won't take more, I think, than two bags of builder's rubble.  Big increase in fly tipping has been noticed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Were you a jobs worth when you told people they would have to go all the way round the block and not the wrong way up a one way street?

The bloke only had to say put metal in that  in and the foam in that bin rather than you cant leave them here point blank,  he was a jobsworth that shouldnt be front of house if he hasnt the skills to deal with people front of house.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athy said:

One or two pf those are just plain barmy: why on earth put food in a bin with recyclable cardboard?

Because the cardboard gets composted rather than recycled? Accommodates all 1st ade's pizza boxes which would otherwise go to landfill.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Because the cardboard gets composted rather than recycled?

I dont think that is right.

Most waste operators recycle clean cardboard and paper back to card. A lot of card (and paper) today contains significant amounts of plastic that wouldnt compost. Contaminated card is a pain though. One of the  worst cases is where card and glass bottles are collected in mixed recycle streams and a bottle breaks. That card cannot then be used by the paper mill.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I dont think that is right.

Most waste operators recycle clean cardboard and paper back to card. A lot of card (and paper) today contains significant amounts of plastic that wouldnt compost. Contaminated card is a pain though. One of the  worst cases is where card and glass bottles are collected in mixed recycle streams and a bottle breaks. That card cannot then be used by the paper mill.

 

We had a local "board" mill and the first thing it did with the card for recycling was drop it in water and stir until it was a slurry.  While they liked sellotape etc off before it went in it floated off if still in the slurry.  "Dirty" cardboard was a definite no no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm not surprised. Most of those fined that amount simply won't have the money. If a penalty is unpayable it ceases to be a deterrent. And it's not much different from company directors going bust leaving creditors out of pocket and then starting up again.

Fine them several times they'll just go bankrupt. Oddly, their houses and other assets will be owned by their wives.

Odd, too  that all these little people get penalised for endangering a few dozen partygoers and not a single business forcing hundreds of workers to work in unsafe conditions.

 

please can you specify which businesses you consider are unsafe?  once we know that perhaps we can report the matter to the ElfinSafety Executive and/or discuss with our MPs and get the issue corrected.

 

while I'm on, do you really believe that a business, which one assumes has at least some management assets and a health & safety policy, can compare with a party (where there is no management or guidance and where folk drink, possibly take unnatural chemicals, and shout, scream & snog everything in reach and generally delight in behaving irresponsibly), compares with the average business environment?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

 

please can you specify which businesses you consider are unsafe?  once we know that perhaps we can report the matter to the ElfinSafety Executive and/or discuss with our MPs and get the issue corrected.

 

while I'm on, do you really believe that a business, which one assumes has at least some management assets and a health & safety policy, can compare with a party (where there is no management or guidance and where folk drink, possibly take unnatural chemicals, and shout, scream & snog everything in reach and generally delight in behaving irresponsibly), compares with the average business environment?

There is an interesting FB post on this about his son

 

 

"

This is going to be an uphill struggle with the virus.
#2 son's place of work, out of 20 people on his shift 15 are either isolating of have COVID.
Three people with COVID carried on working because they could not afford the time off (they have limited sick pay to *One* period in any 12 months!)
One has turned his tracking app off because it keeps telling him he has been in contact with a COVID case, and he cannot afford to self-isolate."
Edited by ditchcrawler
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

 

please can you specify which businesses you consider are unsafe?  once we know that perhaps we can report the matter to the ElfinSafety Executive and/or discuss with our MPs and get the issue corrected.

 

while I'm on, do you really believe that a business, which one assumes has at least some management assets and a health & safety policy, can compare with a party (where there is no management or guidance and where folk drink, possibly take unnatural chemicals, and shout, scream & snog everything in reach and generally delight in behaving irresponsibly), compares with the average business environment?

Well, you could start with the DVLA in Swansea. Yes, a party might infect a dozen or two, the DVLA have, I believe, totted up over 500 so far. So much so that the council have tried to ban their employees travelling by bus. Call centres by the dozen have had whistleblowers, including some doing Track and Trace. Oh, and airport staff are complaining that there's nothing stopping crowds mixing.  You really should try looking for information  instead of just thinking with your prejudices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly I know of several businesses, from small sme's right through to household brands, where the covid measure are woeful and or far worse than then need to be. Limited or no distancing, face to face meetings, public transport usage, staff who could work from home being made to work in the office, either through straight out narrow mindedness, or a total failure to take even small and inexpensive steps to modify IT systems.

 

On the other hand, I am literally crawling the walls 'working from home' and would give my left arm (maybe even literally) to be able to go back to any sort of 'normal' which included basic methods of addressing the human need for social interaction to maintain good mental health.

 

Oh, and our general waste bin is 'green' in colour, and our recycling bin a sufficiently dark 'grey' for many to assume it is black. This be all accounts makes me wool, because all decent people would have a purple bin for general waste! Due to cutbacks, our green waste bin (which is brown) is now only emptied every four weeks, despite having to pay fifty quid a year into a subscription service for the luxury of having it at all. During the first lockdown when all the tips where also closed, and everyone was encouraged not to have a bonfire, but to stay at home, they didn't empty them at all.

 

 

Daniel

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DHutch said:

On the other hand, I am literally crawling the walls 'working from home' and would give my left arm (maybe even literally) to be able to go back to any sort of 'normal' which included basic methods of addressing the human need for social interaction to maintain good mental health.

This ^^^^

 

It's coming up to a year (17th March) since we were sent home from our London office armed with laptops. Tomorrow will be my fourth visit to the office since then, which used to be four days a week, a fifty fold reduction.

 

I never thought I'd miss commuting...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

 

 

It's coming up to a year (17th March) since we were sent home from our London office armed with laptops. Tomorrow will be my fourth visit to the office since then, which used to be four days a week, a fifty fold reduction.

 

I never thought I'd miss commuting...

Different people react to it in different ways.

Mrs. Athy works full-time. She has also been working from home since March last year. During that time her only visit to the office was to close it down, as she was the member of staff in charge there.

  She much prefers her ten-second commute from her sofa to the study, and is pleased with the fuel economies which she's made by not having to drive to Peterborough and back. This economy has now been enhanced by her insurance company's reducing her annual premium because she's driven less than 2,000 miles in the last year. So she's more relaxed and better off.

   She hopes that, after the Bug has passed over, her firm will not reopen the office, as she doesn't miss commuting at all.

 

Edited by Athy
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Different people react to it in different ways.

Mrs. Athy works full-time. She has also been working from home since March last year. During that time her only visit to the office was to close it down, as she was the member of staff in charge there.

  She much prefers her ten-second commute from her sofa to the study, and is pleased with the fuel economies which she's made by not having to drive to Peterborough and back. This economy has now been enhanced by her insurance company's reducing her annual premium because she's driven less than 2,000 miles in the last year. So she's more relaxed and better off.

   She hopes that, after the Bug has passed over, her firm will not reopen the office, as she doesn't miss commuting at all.

 

 

My youngest's main job is working from home and was before the pandemic anyway. She does assesments of kids via. Video link and 'meets' families from all over the country from the comfort of her home office. She loves it, she has a designated corner in a spare bedroom as an office and is clear about work space home space.

 

Her labrador thinks its pretty good too.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2021 at 21:25, Jerra said:

I agree about goons.   There is a lay-by just outside town amere 2 miles from the recycling centre where if it isn't recyclable there is acceptance for dumping.   Yet there are frequently double bed mattresses, TVs etc dumped.  If they can manage to transport it to the lay-by why the %^&* can't they just go the further 2 miles.

In my area a lot of tipping of this type has been due to people taking others waste away for payment and then just dumping it as you say to avoid paying trade waste charges. This has declined a bit, since where there was something in the waste identifying the original producer they have been happy to say who they paid to take it away. Both then get fines, one for the flytipping itself, and the other for failing to check they were using a licensed operator. 

 

Publicising this has helped, but sadly there are still householders unaware of their responsibilities, and people with a van or pickup still willing enough or desperate enough to take a chance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, alias said:

In my area a lot of tipping of this type has been due to people taking others waste away for payment and then just dumping it as you say to avoid paying trade waste charges. This has declined a bit, since where there was something in the waste identifying the original producer they have been happy to say who they paid to take it away. Both then get fines, one for the flytipping itself, and the other for failing to check they were using a licensed operator. 

 

Publicising this has helped, but sadly there are still householders unaware of their responsibilities, and people with a van or pickup still willing enough or desperate enough to take a chance. 

In many cases this is true, however our black spot is always small amounts and singly not all at once e.g. a mattress, a TV, a card board box of odds and ends on different days.  Never in the sort of quantities you would pay somebody to take away.

Edited by Jerra
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

In many cases this is true, however our black spot is always small amounts and singly not all at once e.g. a mattress, a TV, a card board box of odds and ends on different days.  Never in the sort of quantities you would pay somebody to take away.

There's no accounting for people I suppose. The oddest dumping I found was a large quantity in a ditch on the boundary between some woods and grazing land where I walked the dog. It must have been a mile from the nearest road or track, and would have needed a decent off road vehicle to get it there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

In many cases this is true, however our black spot is always small amounts and singly not all at once e.g. a mattress, a TV, a card board box of odds and ends on different days.  Never in the sort of quantities you would pay somebody to take away.

In our area it tends to be car tyres, 1 every 20 ish feet on the side of a back road for a mile or so, our guess has always been a van driven slowly along the road with someone in the back chucking tyres out of the side door.

 

The other one we have seen a few times is neat piles of shredded green leaves, plant stems and roots, all nicely compostable but with the smell it's a bit of a giveaway so I can understand why it was dumped well away from the source.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Athy said:

One or two pf those are just plain barmy: why on earth put food in a bin with recyclable cardboard?

 

 

Because it's to be composted.  The food alone is too wet.  The cardboard dries out the mix and aids the composting process.

16 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

We now have been given small kitchen food waste bins to sit on the worktop.  What is odd is that it's for the food waste that we can't put on a compost heap, but it goes into a compostable  bag and then into the garden waste bin.  The recyclable mix doesn't make much sense either.  The local tip is friendly enough, but is now run by a private company and won't take more, I think, than two bags of builder's rubble.  Big increase in fly tipping has been noticed.

Industrial scale composting can deal with food.  Garden composting usually can't and just attracts rats.

12 hours ago, sueb said:

Our council tip needs us to show a council tax bill before we can enter.

What do tenants do where the landlord covers the bills?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DHutch said:

Sadly I know of several businesses, from small sme's right through to household brands, where the covid measure are woeful and or far worse than then need to be. Limited or no distancing, face to face meetings, public transport usage, staff who could work from home being made to work in the office, either through straight out narrow mindedness, or a total failure to take even small and inexpensive steps to modify IT systems.

 

On the other hand, I am literally crawling the walls 'working from home' and would give my left arm (maybe even literally) to be able to go back to any sort of 'normal' which included basic methods of addressing the human need for social interaction to maintain good mental health.

 

 

 

 

 

And of course, it's all those workplaces with poor standards which are causing the virus to continue spreading and therefore more and longer lockdowns.

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

This ^^^^

 

It's coming up to a year (17th March) since we were sent home from our London office armed with laptops. Tomorrow will be my fourth visit to the office since then, which used to be four days a week, a fifty fold reduction.

 

I never thought I'd miss commuting...

23rd of March for me, but I've only been in 3 times.  Once to collect a monitor, once to collect a chair, once to move some boxes.  Not at all since last June.    I don't miss commuting at all.  I'm keen to work from home forever.  However, I am aware of colleagues that keep going into the office a few times a week, even though they've been expressly told not to.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I am aware of colleagues that keep going into the office a few times a week, even though they've been expressly told not to.

Why would they? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.