David Yule

Featured Posts

Interestingly, there is one here too, and it isn't just boaters who dislike it. Up in the bell tower it gets discussed from time to time and the bell ringers have noticed it and are universally disapproving. None of them is a boater. 

But the OP clearly enjoys winding people up, I dunno why you let him! 

Do these things have an engine?

The one on the box was at Copt Heath when they were doing the work on it and then at Catherine de Barnes when it was finished.

It might have got there under its own steam but they sure ain't designed for navigation.

And as for the distaff side wanting a bath, quote "one of the biggest available", every day after work. Good luck with that unless its they are hooked up to a water tap.

2 hours ago, David Yule said:

I've gone and bought a 10m Bright Orange Beauty. Coming to the Rugby Canal at the end of Feb, can't wait to get started on her. Any help and advice is most welcome. And Trolls will be laughed at lots and lots 😊

Are you aware that the closest you can get a boat over 7 ft beam to Rugby is Hilmorton Locks, and that as the canal between there and Braunston Junction is designated as narrow canal, you are only permitted to use it for passage between Barby Moorings or Dunchurch Pool and Braunston Junction, such passage being subject to a week's advance notice to CRT, with mooring in this section not being permitted?

See 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19191-movement-of-wide-beam-boats-between-braunston-junction-and-hillmorton-locks-on-the-north-oxford-canal

You also need to give 48 hours notice of passage through Braunston Tunnel on the Grand Union.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20984-braunston-tunnel

Edited by David Mack

8 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Do these things have an engine?

The one on the box was at Copt Heath when they were doing the work on it and then at Catherine de Barnes when it was finished.

It might have got there under its own steam but they sure ain't designed for navigation.

And as for the distaff side wanting a bath, quote "one of the biggest available", every day after work. Good luck with that unless its they are hooked up to a water tap.

They do have engines but steering visibility is not the best thing as you sit up on a pedestal about a third from the stern with your head poked out the top. Bit of a hinderance for a fitout. 

2 hours ago, David Yule said:

Are you stalking me 

I've gone and bought a 10m Bright Orange Beauty. Coming to the Rugby Canal at the end of Feb, can't wait to get started on her. Any help and advice is most welcome. And Trolls will be laughed at lots and lots 😊

Point of order, there is no "Rugby Canal," the canal which passes by Rugby is the Oxford Canal.

I doubt you would get a commercial lifeboat through the bridge at Brownsover, if you intend to travel that way, best check the air draft.

Brownsover bridge.jpg

Edited by Ray T

18 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

He did say he had 1000 litre water tank, but no mention of how he fills it up, or indeed how he heats the water. I can't imagine the girlfriend was the type who enjoys cold baths!

Edited by David Mack

This site doesn't really help.

The English Canals weren't built for these craft. Fact, not trolling.

Boats for sale UK, boats for sale, used boat sales, Commercial Vessels For Sale LIFEBOATS-LIFEBOATS-LIFEBOATS, ALL IN UK - Apollo Duck

“MAJORITY OF ALL LIFEBOATS ARE SUITABLE FOR CANAL USE AND LIVEABOARD CONVERSION, PLEASE MAKE SURE A PARTICULAR LIFEBOAT IS SUITABLE FOR YOUR PURPOSE, ALL CRAFT ARE SUITABLE FOR MANY OTHER USES ON ANY WATER WORLDWIDE, ALL ARE MOST DEFINATLY SEA GOING AS THATS WHAT THEY WERE BUILT FOR , PLEASE ASK ............................................................“

Edited by Ray T

Master's Bridge at Brownsover is the least of his worries - there are plenty lower than that.

All the lifeboats I've seen are  at least 3m beam, so if he's craned in at Rugby he won't get south of the stop plank narrows at Clifton, or north past us at Stretton Stop, assuming he can fit under some of the original bridges between here and Newbold. Either way, that's not enough to satisfy continuous cruising, plus let's not forget CRT's new bit in the T&Cs about the vessel having to be suitable for the canal it's on, so I think it would be handy to know where it's going to be craned in, just so we know where to go and watch when CRT S.8 it and crane it back out :)

Assuming this is for real and not a wind-up, then it's all just going to be a waste of time and money for the buyer and for CRT.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Are you aware that the closest you can get a boat over 7 ft beam to Rugby is Hilmorton Locks, and that as the canal between there and Braunston Junction is designated as narrow canal, you are only permitted to use it for passage between Barby Moorings or Dunchurch Pool and Braunston Junction, such passage being subject to a week's advance notice to CRT, with mooring in this section not being permitted?

See 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19191-movement-of-wide-beam-boats-between-braunston-junction-and-hillmorton-locks-on-the-north-oxford-canal

You also need to give 48 hours notice of passage through Braunston Tunnel on the Grand Union.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20984-braunston-tunnel

Maybe best to find out the hard way

• Unimpressed 1

35 minutes ago, Bee said:

Lifeboat conversions used to be common. Some were really quite nice. Cut the top off a big orange thing and you've got the basis of a good boat.

That is what they did at Lowestoft. Left about 10 foot of superstructure at the bows to make a cuddy, the rest open. Use to use it for boat handling training, I don't know if they still do.

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I'm not sure to be honest. All the people I knew involved with it are old like me.

They were a couple of years ago (just pre C19) when we stayed there a couple of nights on the "Cat".

Thru the 'scrapyard' right to the end and moored on the last pontoon on the left. Close to the bridge onto the Broads. The towers were on the opposite side. Petans ?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They were a couple of years ago (just pre C19) when we stayed there a couple of nights on the "Cat".

Thru the 'scrapyard' right to the end and moored on the last pontoon on the left. Close to the bridge onto the Broads. The towers were on the opposite side. Petans ?

I thought you would have stopped at the sailing club almost next door to them

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought you would have stopped at the sailing club almost next door to them

We were too wide, (23 foot beam + fenders) they had nowhere for us, we ended up temporarily on the fuel berth and had to phone around and then "Lowestoft Marina" (the little one at the end) found us a double mooring between two pontoons.

• 3 months later...

The typical orange former ship/oil rig lifeboat is capable of navigating the wider inland waterways (Thames, Grand Union, River Lee). It would have the same constraints as any other wide beam.

They are largely diesel powered for reliability, but are a bit over powered for the canal, however there are yachts on the Thames with much bigger engines, so they don't exceed the current limits.

They aren't dangerous to other boats, they are rubbery and slightly resistant to impact, but I wouldn't test them too much, after all, the titanic was also claimed unsinkable. 

I would not recommend one, however I think with a good budget they could be modified into good pleasure craft, and pleasant accommodation either full or part time.

Edited by C Nash

3 hours ago, C Nash said:

The typical orange former ship/oil rig lifeboat is capable of navigating the wider inland waterways (Thames, Grand Union, River Lee). It would have the same constraints as any other wide beam.

They are largely diesel powered for reliability, but are a bit over powered for the canal, however there are yachts on the Thames with much bigger engines, so they don't exceed the current limits.

They aren't dangerous to other boats, they are rubbery and slightly resistant to impact, but I wouldn't test them too much, after all, the titanic was also claimed unsinkable. 

I would not recommend one, however I think with a good budget they could be modified into good pleasure craft, and pleasant accommodation either full or part time.

You missed the bit about them being pig ugly and an abhorrent carbunkle when inflicted upon the English canal network. Of course other, perhaps more supportive opinions are available... :icecream:

Edited by Sea Dog
Sp