Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Aprilia

Additional Sleeping

Featured Posts

image.php?filename=po001.jpg&stockcode=PO001&category=001a0005&width=1000&height=1000

When we finally get our boat, looking at options for the occasional visitor.

Having been caravaners for our whole lives, these things are not uncommon to us. 3-fold bed, 1200 wide.

 

Has anyone ever known one fitted in a boat?

I'm considering a unit in the saloon which could accommodate one to unfold when guests are around, but be away to leave space free to live when not in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Aprilia said:

image.php?filename=po001.jpg&stockcode=PO001&category=001a0005&width=1000&height=1000

When we finally get our boat, looking at options for the occasional visitor.

Having been caravaners for our whole lives, these things are not uncommon to us. 3-fold bed, 1200 wide.

 

Has anyone ever known one fitted in a boat?

I'm considering a unit in the saloon which could accommodate one to unfold when guests are around, but be away to leave space free to live when not in use.

 

You could maybe get this to work if it unfolds lontitudinally (back to front).

It is unlikely to fit side to side as a NB is only about 6 foot wide

 

If you are getting a widebeam then ignore the above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

www.sofabedbarn.co.uk.

 

ive got a 3 seater sofa that is great as a single bed or, with a simple click/clack, it becomes a double bed. Big drawer underneath for bedding or other stuff.

 

One man brought it in a transit van, got it through the cratch and front doors, and put it together in the lounge.

 

Cant imagine anything else could be simpler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

www.sofabedbarn.co.uk.

 

ive got a 3 seater sofa that is great as a single bed or, with a simple click/clack, it becomes a double bed. Big drawer underneath for bedding or other stuff.

 

One man brought it in a transit van, got it through the cratch and front doors, and put it together in the lounge.

 

Cant imagine anything else could be simpler.

 

Seconded, I bought a 3 seater from them earlier this year.

 

It is very comfortable as a bed and as a settee.

 

One man put the bits onto.the boat and I had to build it. Took less than 20 minutes and I could have that if building another one. Just bolts together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a couple of folding beds from Ikea.  Only £20 each - ok ten years ago.  Although the mattress was only two inches thick, they were actually very comfortable as the wire base was a bit like a hammock.   2'6" wide, so two could be put up side by side and when folded were only 4" thick so were hung out of the way under the gunwale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 3 fold sofa bed that fits across my boat (just!),sitting on it as I type!!...I purchased it years ago and paid good money for it,as it is quite substantial.There should be something on the market these days that is suitable,shop around.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleeping bags + mats.

 

Over the years, I've had a double futon / sofa bed (had to cut the end off so it would lay flat across the boat), a big wooden box with a cushion on top (good for sleeping and storage, unsightly and uncomfortable for sitting on) and now a single futon / sofa bed with a storage box underneath (comfy to sit on and a good compromise: something like this https://www.futoncompany.co.uk/sofa-beds/size/single/oak-switch-sofa-bed.html but I paid less than £200 from the same shop in Oxford).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Have a look at sofa beds. Some are small enough to open out in a narrowboat

Do a search on 'Texas' and have a look at a thread from 2019 - which refers back to earlier thread. Offers a few suggestions which may be of use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Opener said:

Do a search on 'Texas' and have a look at a thread from 2019 - which refers back to earlier thread. Offers a few suggestions which may be of use.

 

I looked at the Texas sofabed from Benson.

 

Two problems for me.

 

1. Just too wide to get in to the Salomon through the front doors (it comes completely assembled).

 

2. No storage under the bed. It comes on raised legs.

 

That said it was £200 cheaper than a 3 seater from Sofabed Barn.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

I looked at the Texas sofabed from Benson.

 

Two problems for me.

 

1. Just too wide to get in to the Salomon through the front doors (it comes completely assembled).

 

2. No storage under the bed. It comes on raised legs.

 

That said it was £200 cheaper than a 3 seater from Sofabed Barn.

 

 

Hmmm!  Ours is now 'years old' so things must have changed:

1. Ours came as a flat pack - a 6 X 4 box which came in our front door on edge. Legs in the box to be screwed on afterwards. ? 2 bolts per leg.

2. No 'fixed' storage as such but a large sleeping bag + pillows, two collapsing chairs and lots of compressed 'logs' live under ours, some in those zip up linen storage bags. A lot more flexible than fixed drawers.

Still looks good 6/7 years down the line and v comfortable (I am led to believe🥴).

But, if it won't go in, it won't go in hey-ho!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Fourteen inches per man --- hammocks --- 'twas good enough for  the Royal Navy and not just  in Nelson's day!

 

Very comfy too but yer average narrowboater methinks would feel they were a bit scary swinging in the force ten alongside the T and M :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 inches per man, how far apart were the slinging points, from end to end?

 

Bod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.