Electric Boats

peterboat

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Here is a nice electric boat that shouldn't have a y problem pushing the tide....

Screenshot_20220812-123830_Facebook.jpg

Absolutely true -- has 3500kW of electric motors with 2800kWh of batteries and 2000kW of onboard genny though, so on a slightly different scale... 😉

(incidentally that comes out as 1 ton of pull per 50kW, a bit better than the 1 ton per 100hp "rule-of-thumb" for propellors -- but it does have cowled thruster props which add maybe 25%, so pretty close)

19 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

How do you steer that then, and still see where you’re going?

Also, i’m concerned by the owners electrical setup :( 

Maybe he steers with the rudder or stand at the bows and the walks back to correct the course, the speed he will be doing he probably has loads of time

• Greenie 2

41 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

That's the London version. Eco friendly and just to move once every year 😜

41 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

That's the London version. Eco friendly and just to move once every year 😜

He has done very well if he has got from London with it. I also noticed moored in the same marina as me a boat with EBA on the side, cant recall the name

• 1 month later...

While I was following the link on Trad boats for sale on the Duck, this was on the same page, so if anyone wants an electric Narrowboat here is one for sale

Tyler Wilson 57 Semi Trad for sale UK, Tyler Wilson boats for sale, Tyler Wilson used boat sales, Tyler Wilson Narrow Boats For Sale Electric Drive 57' Narrowboat - Apollo Duck

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

While I was following the link on Trad boats for sale on the Duck, this was on the same page, so if anyone wants an electric Narrowboat here is one for sale

Tyler Wilson 57 Semi Trad for sale UK, Tyler Wilson boats for sale, Tyler Wilson used boat sales, Tyler Wilson Narrow Boats For Sale Electric Drive 57' Narrowboat - Apollo Duck

But it has a 200l fuel tank (my Tyler Wilson is 150l), and a Beta engine(mine is 33) plus something else to turn the prop where are the savings?

I expect one can store power in batteries, but i am storing energy in my diesel.

Edited by LadyG

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

But it has a 200l fuel tank (my Tyler Wilson is 150l), and a Beta engine(mine is 33) plus something else to turn the prop where are the savings?

JW supplied the standard shell, which would of been for a conventional engine install, hence diesel tank, there is a Beta generator, not used for propulsion, which will more then likely be supplied from the diesel tank. This will be used to charge the batteries.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I expect one can store power in batteries, but i am storing energy in my diesel.

No solar, which is a mistake, however 1 hour  genny running will give you 4 hours electric plus a tank full of hot water, that's where the savings are

17 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No solar, which is a mistake, however 1 hour  genny running will give you 4 hours electric plus a tank full of hot water, that's where the savings are

I think I get an hour per litre of boat running say 2.5miles, and that heats water plus domestic battery charging. One litre diesel, £1.50. how much does that boat cost per hour travelling .

With no solar he does not need massive batteries, just run the gen.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I think I get an hour per litre of boat running say 2.5miles, and that heats water plus domestic battery charging. One litre diesel, £1.50. how much does that boat cost per hour travelling .

What about the other three hours he gets from the batteries?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Why? The big generator can put in all the electric it needs in one hour for 4 hours running, plus hot water batteries are a big win, of course Lithium would be better but it's a good system that could be made better with solar 

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Why? The big generator can put in all the electric it needs in one hour for 4 hours running, plus hot water batteries are a big win, of course Lithium would be better but it's a good system that could be made better with solar 

I'm just asking , if a genset is less efficient than ICE, it's a bit pointless, both.  economically and environmentally, the only advantage then can be if boat is storing energy in batteries fed from mains, as it might be cheaper per mile travelled. There are inefficiencies using batteries, so more losses there.. I'd love to have an electric boat, but not if it's going to cost significantly more than diesel.  Anyway that's academic as I've got a reliable engine, and no way could I change.

You seem to promote the electric boat ethos,  so really you must expect to answer a few basic questions.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm just asking , if a genset is less efficient than ICE, it's a bit pointless, both.  economically and environmentally, the only advantage then can be if boat is storing energy in batteries fed from mains, as it might be cheaper per mile travelled. There are inefficiencies using batteries, so more losses there.. I'd love to have an electric boat, but not if it's going to cost significantly more than diesel.  Anyway that's academic as I've got a reliable engine, and no way could I change.

You seem to promote the electric boat ethos,  so really you must expect to answer a few basic questions.

The generator is an ICE but runs far more efficiently than your propulsion engine. Hence I hr engine to 4 hrs boating. You have to run your engine inefficiently for 4 hrs to do that.

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What about the other three hours he gets from the batteries?

My engine uses a litre per hour, roughly, it's not impossible the genset uses four litres per hour, there are other losses/costs on both sides.

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Why do you think the genny would be less efficient than a conventional diesel? 

When you cruise with diesel propulsion the engine runs all the time whether you're moving or not. Electric motors aren't like that. They turn only when needed.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

The generator is an ICE but runs far more efficiently than your propulsion engine. Hence I hr engine to 4 hrs boating. You have to run your engine inefficiently for 4 hrs to do that.

Oh well if that's the case peterboat will clarify.

You are suggesting a tried and trusted diesel engine developed over twenty or thirty years and used in numerous application is generating four times less energy than a modern genset, I find it difficult to believe, to be honest.

11 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Why do you think the genny would be less efficient than a conventional diesel? 

When you cruise with diesel propulsion the engine runs all the time whether you're moving or not. Electric motors aren't like that. They turn only when needed.

Peter is saying a diesel genset is four times more efficient than a marine diesel engine.. I am asking how much diesel it uses in the one hour. 

If electric boats are going to be more economical (and practical) hire boats would be building them now, maybe they are, but as prototypes.

I'm not against electric boats it's a great idea, but at the moment it seems to me that new boats, with all bell's and whistles,  are going to attract marina based early adopters, which is fine if they are the biggest market for new boats. It's not going to be easy if they want to cruise extensively  and not use fossil fuels.

I'm not yet convinced by the early adopters so far, folks like @peterboat are 'enthusiasts', selling the positives but ignoring the negatives.

That's not a successful long term marketing strategy imho.

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Peter is saying a diesel genset is four times more efficient than a marine diesel engine.. I am asking how much diesel it uses in the one hour. 

If it was going to be a more economical and practical system hire boats would be building them now. 

If you are intentionally trying to misunderstand everything that you are being told ................. you appear to be succeeding.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

If electric boats are going to be more economical (and practical) hire boats would be building them now, maybe they are, but as prototypes.

I'm not against electric boats it's a great idea, but at the moment it seems to me that new boats, with all bell's and whistles,  are going to attract marina based early adopters, which is fine if they are the biggest market for new boats. It's not going to be easy if they want to cruise extensively  and not use fossil fuels.

I'm not yet convinced by the early adopters so far, folks like @peterboat are 'enthusiasts', selling the positives but ignoring the negatives.

That's not a successful long term marketing strategy imho.

A generator running at a fixed RPM can be tuned to run at that speed most efficiently, maybe 40%, your diesel producing far to much power to run at say 3-4 mph is maybe 13-16% efficient.  It also runs all the time even in locks when it's not needed, the electric motor doesn't, the generator may only use 1 litre in the hour. 

Then it saves 25% on the licence and if it had solar the generator might only be needed a couple of times a week in summer why do you think I went to all that effort to convert mine to electric? It wasn't to throw money away that's for certain 

• Greenie 1