Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Government Targets are simply Political Suicide , constantly when listening to Politicians quote them  , I think to myself why did you say that ?

Surely, in any walk of life it is good to have something to aim for, even if you fall short of your target.

On 20/04/2020 at 19:22, Parahandy said:

There is something quite unpleasant about it , another gripe I have is some of these Adverts which advertise nothing other than the Company's name alongside some spurious Covid soundbite . " Now more than ever we are in it together " Sainsburys ?????

Can I counter this with my experience of Sainsburys.

When all this problem started I got an email from Sainsburys telling me that their records showed I was over 70 years of age and would have priority for home delivery/click and collect.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Surely, in any walk of life it is good to have something to aim for, even if you fall short of your target.

It depends how you are judged for not hitting that target. Is the person who sets an easy target and hits it every time better that the person who sets a hard target but never quite achieves it. The Government could have set a target of 1000 corona tests a month and it it, would that be better that 10000 tests and only achieving 9000

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It depends how you are judged for not hitting that target. Is the person who sets an easy target and hits it every time better that the person who sets a hard target but never quite achieves it. The Government could have set a target of 1000 corona tests a month and it it, would that be better that 10000 tests and only achieving 9000

You have to remember - people are already after their blood. They'd have been well derided for setting a low bar. They can't win. They have to be able to do the impossible, by many, or say, they want to. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Higgs said:

You have to remember - people are already after their blood. They'd have been well derided for setting a low bar. They can't win. They have to be able to do the impossible, by many, or say, they want to. 

It's very clear from questions at the daily briefing that the media goes well beyond holding them to account and into outright hostility.

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

When all this problem started I got an email from Sainsburys telling me that their records showed I was over 70 years of age and would have priority for home delivery/click and collect.

Well thats just great to hear , I was reading earlier that too many " Able People " are grabbing these Home Delivery slots at the expense of the Vulnerable who simply cant book a slot . I put an old friend of mine in touch with a company called Jaspers who previously dealt in Catering for the Corporate Sector for this very reason . Naturally I have no connection with Jaspers but if you give them a Google you will see what I mean .

43 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Rather annoyingly, here in Milton Keynes the limit has been raised to 75 years of age.

53 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think in Politics when a Politician quotes a target , he simply provides a noose for the Media to hang him by . Not that some of us wouldn't be averse to hanging a few ?

2 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Rather annoyingly, here in Milton Keynes the limit has been raised to 75 years of age.

Its my understanding that its pretty abysmal Allan

http://www.jaspersonline.co.uk

Here is a link to this Company an old retired Schoolmistress friend is using here in MK , a vegetarian she heartily recommends the Fruit and Veg

55 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Well done Sainsburys. I wish Morrisons would do that as a delivery slot three weeks ahead is not much help and one of us has been braving shopping . We have a sainsburys so might try it. 

haggis

58 minutes ago, MartinC said:

And how has it worked so far?

6 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Get the Ferrari registered in the name of Vladimir Putin , roar under the over bridge giving the Bird to the Plod above and I guarantee you wont hear anymore about it

Some hard evidence, in place of your bald assertions and "deductions", could be very helpful. Xenophobic rantings are not.

• Greenie 2

39 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

It's very clear from questions at the daily briefing that the media goes well beyond holding them to account and into outright hostility.

I suggest that it is more a matter of an arms race. The politicians have become evermore keen to re-write history, often as it happens and the media find it ever harder to engage in reasoned debate and up the ante in terms of fire power. 

59 minutes ago, MartinC said:

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

Well done Sainsburys. I wish Morrisons would do that as a delivery slot three weeks ahead is not much help and one of us has been braving shopping . We have a sainsburys so might try it. 

The cynical part of my brain says that the big supermarket chains are all trying to win brownie points for when this is all over. They are all doing something  -- eg Morrisons are offering a 10% discount for NHS employees, Tesco were the first (I think) to offer an NHS-only shopping hour. 

The more altruistic part of my brain tells me they honestly want to help.

I'm not so sure about all the free takeaway fast food being offered by KFC, McD and others, though. Front-line NHS staff would rather have proper PPE than free fried chicken.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The politicians have become evermore keen to re-write history

And forget about the embarrassing parts, like the Movianto PPE warehouse in Merseyside?

Linky to Grauniad

36 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Ain't that the truth!

After the first couple of questions, I switch off/over, some of the questions, do lead you to wonder just how the questioner can understand what they have just asked.

"How long is the lock-down going to last, and how will it be ended?"

The only answer can be "Don't know,& we'll watch other countries, and (try to) avoid their mistakes."

Will this satisfy  the media?  Unlikely, not enough absolute detail!

Bod.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Get the Ferrari registered in the name of Vladimir Putin , roar under the over bridge giving the Bird to the Plod above and I guarantee you wont hear anymore about it Mike ?

The issue over prosecuting foreign nationals is much more complex than has been suggested, as I am sure your well know. Particularly in the case of those who claim, even marginally, to have diplomatic immunity - see recent very sad case. Governments have become ever more protective, not so much of their citizens, but the effort to the government if another country even suggests that one of theirs is capable of committing even the most minor misdemeanour. I don't know if it is still true but it used to be the case that every parking ticket issued to a so-called diplomat was sent back, under immunity, and almost all such diplomats simply park at will. None of this is anything to do with the previously alleged discrimination. 

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm not so sure about all the free takeaway fast food being offered by KFC, McD and others, though. Front-line NHS staff would rather have proper PPE than free fried chicken.  

McD and KFC probably make poor quality PPE equipment. They're much better at making poor quality food, though. 

4 minutes ago, Bod said:

Ain't that the truth!

After the first couple of questions, I switch off/over, some of the questions, do lead you to wonder just how the questioner can understand what they have just asked.

"How long is the lock-down going to last, and how will it be ended?"

The only answer can be "Don't know,& we'll watch other countries, and (try to) avoid their mistakes."

Will this satisfy  the media?  Unlikely, not enough absolute detail!

Bod.

The spokespeople are not allowed to suggest a punch in the gob, in answer to the daft questions. 

6 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The spokespeople are not allowed to suggest a punch in the gob, in answer to the daft questions. 

The trouble is that in the words of Lt Col Jessup (Jack Nicholson) we have heard so many lies that we "can't handle the truth".

Happy Birthday Jack, by the way.

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The trouble is that in the words of Lt Col Jessup (Jack Nicholson) we have heard so many lies that we "can't handle the truth".

Happy Birthday Jack, by the way.

It's true. Thinking is a lot easier than doing. You can't advertise that fact. It isn't what they want to hear. 

Edited by Higgs

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I suggest that it is more a matter of an arms race. The politicians have become evermore keen to re-write history, often as it happens and the media find it ever harder to engage in reasoned debate and up the ante in terms of fire power. 

I am amazed that Johnson hasn't had the bollox to sack Hancock and replaced him with someone who can make things happen, rather than tell us why they didn't happen, and what they will happen in a future that never comes. The bloke is well and truly out of his depth in terms of making things happen.

We are going to find in a few days time that he has failed completely to meet his own self imposed target of 100,000 tests a day, (we already know that he will fail, but they are still telling us that it will happen).

He has already set up his excuse that not enough people have "come forward" for tests - "No Shit Sherlock!" - I heard today that the average distance of travel for an NHS worker to get to a testing station is 62 miles.

He is now talking about mobile testing stations... for the future. 

This is a blood test - something that hospitals and medical facilities do many many times a day.

We heard yesterday that Italian trucks had come all the way to a UK pharmaceutical warehouse to pick up PPE to take back to Italy - WTF!!!

I think we have heard this morning from the EU that we are not a part of any of the EU schemes to source medical stuff.

We know that thousands of people are coming into the country every day, with no health checks, no quarantine, no insistence on isolation. I think a few get a leaflet, but not all.

Is it any wonder that the media are sick and tired of being fobbed off at the daily propaganda presentations.

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Some hard evidence, in place of your bald assertions and "deductions", could be very helpful. Xenophobic rantings are not.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7361213/UK-authorities-chase-foreign-drivers-offences-committed-roads.html

I have already given you the evidence but as usual you ignore it in favour of your usual PC Neo Liberal Rant , here it is again , third paragraph down . I am absolutely stunned at your ignorance when it comes to matters such as these , this Country has a largely transient Immigrant Population , even if the Law as in this case involving Driving Offences didn't favour them , where do you think the Manpower comes to chase these People up ? The Law Abiding Englishman on the other hand with his name on the Electoral Register , his kids at the Local School is simply an easier proposition to Prosecute . Am I Xenophobic for merely pointing out this reality ?

27 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The issue over prosecuting foreign nationals is much more complex than has been suggested, as I am sure your well know. Particularly in the case of those who claim, even marginally, to have diplomatic immunity - see recent very sad case. Governments have become ever more protective, not so much of their citizens, but the effort to the government if another country even suggests that one of theirs is capable of committing even the most minor misdemeanour. I don't know if it is still true but it used to be the case that every parking ticket issued to a so-called diplomat was sent back, under immunity, and almost all such diplomats simply park at will. None of this is anything to do with the previously alleged discrimination. 

I accept its a complex issue Mike .

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Is it any wonder that the media are sick and tired of being fobbed off at the daily propaganda presentations.

Give them your phone number. They can have yours.

Edited by Higgs
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1