Another Red Diesel Threat

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Just now, MartynG said:

The John Deere video does demonstrate electric  tractors are possible and under development  . Their video is dated 2017.

The challenge  of refuelling is simply a matter of design development.

Perhaps swap the battery pack  rather than standing the whole machine at a recharging point ? 

That would suppose that you have another tractor / telehandler that can lift out a couple of tonnes of batteries and replace then with a 'charged battery bank'.

That would double the cost, and double the amount of 'rare earth stuff' used in the batteries.

Is that economic ?

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thankyou - I was thinking more about the size/number of batteries  required.

Well a 'drop in' 100AH lithium battery as sold by Victron et al holds 1.2kWh fully charged, say 1kWh of useable capacity as one doesn't want to fully discharge it. 

So you would need 6,920 of them. At £2k each. 

£14m, nearly. 

I suppose you could do what gretaboat does, and buy them second hand....

• Love 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Thats the bit, the reciprocating arm between the end of the cutter arm and the crank on the end of the PTO

In my mind they were hickory or maybe hazel, something springy, I suspect @tree monkey was not around in those days. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes some short length of hardwood.

In my mind it was  hickory as used in north america for axe handles, but could be hazel, which would be springy, though I doubt if that would be easily obtained or thick enough. @tree monkey

Edited by LadyG

On 26/02/2020 at 09:30, ditchcrawler said:

And as for building roads and HS2

21 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Err, won't the increase in cost due to the rise in duty go straight back to the government?

The extra duty will go straight to the Treasury. But will the Department for Transport (for roads and HS2), NHS (for hospital building, local authorities (for schools) etc. get a corresponding increase in their budgets?

There seem to be people who say "I'm electric its fantastic" it cost me a penny a mile, solar its free etc etc, however just wait until in a few years your batteries are toast and need replacement all that free energy will not be free after all. That to you think the tax man has not got this on his radar just waiting to get to a certain point of no return and then bang taxed up to the hilt.

Also I bet electric boats dont have that little gen set (5kva I bet to) tucked away that get used every other day to "so much for clean boating. Or do they sit in a marina 24x7 like I see so many boats. I have had mine since April last year and up to date done 600+ hrs of cruising that to mid Oct out of UK for 2 months then stuck because of floods and Foxton flight being closed. I bet my carbon foot print is lower then a house owner running a car heating etc so boat on Diesel is not so bad after all.

IMOH

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Interestingly, at say 15p per kWh, the electricity bill to recharge would be £1,038.00.

How much would the tank of white diesel cost? 

Commercial electricity is a lot less than residential, but you have to pay for infrastructure ..... £700 it cost me to have a metre of heavy cabling and a hole in the ground, which was made good .....

But 15p per unit is a reasonable measure..

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Errrr , lpg must be a fossil fuel, puting it in 35kg cylinders, moving it around on lorries,  can't be "more efficient / less polluting"

It can be in big trailers rut direct into the machine that is using it, I fitted 200 litre tanks in Yank tanks! Bigger tanks are available, whilst its a fossil fuel its cleaner than diesel by a country mile! If engines are designed to run on LPG they optimise power and economy, remember at the moment we are using converted petrol engines which arnt ideal, the problem you are forgetting is that its a choice of either changing the way we do things or have to except that we will be paying a lot more for food and buildings

53 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

There seem to be people who say "I'm electric its fantastic" it cost me a penny a mile, solar its free etc etc, however just wait until in a few years your batteries are toast and need replacement all that free energy will not be free after all. That to you think the tax man has not got this on his radar just waiting to get to a certain point of no return and then bang taxed up to the hilt.

Also I bet electric boats dont have that little gen set (5kva I bet to) tucked away that get used every other day to "so much for clean boating. Or do they sit in a marina 24x7 like I see so many boats. I have had mine since April last year and up to date done 600+ hrs of cruising that to mid Oct out of UK for 2 months then stuck because of floods and Foxton flight being closed. I bet my carbon foot print is lower then a house owner running a car heating etc so boat on Diesel is not so bad after all.

IMOH

Its just going to cost you a lot more to cruise, or you will cut down your cruising, me I will continue cruising with solar as I did last year, I also get a 25% rebate on my license I have no method of charging my drive batteries other than solar [its a 72volt system] the other electric boaters I know are all solar as well for battery charging

47 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Commercial electricity is a lot less than residential.............

Is it ?

In that case why cant the marina get a better deal than I get at home?

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Its just going to cost you a lot more to cruise, or you will cut down your cruising, me I will continue cruising with solar as I did last year, I also get a 25% rebate on my license I have no method of charging my drive batteries other than solar [its a 72volt system] the other electric boaters I know are all solar as well for battery charging

Got rid of your Whispergen then?  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

But your cruising pattern could be done by a pair of oars or an egg whisk.....some of us prefer to travel the system...not spend the majority of a sunny day tied up waiting for the batteries to charge.....if we had an EV for the amount of journeys that we have had to do this week Id have spent an extra day waiting in service stations for the car to charge up....

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Is it ?

In that case why cant the marina get a better deal than I get at home?

I can't answer that, but it is true.

You are not "a business" you are buying from the marina, at least the marina invoices me, I believe the unit charge is capped.

Businesses have to charge for services provided, one way or t'other

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

It can be in big trailers rut direct into the machine that is using it, I fitted 200 litre tanks in Yank tanks! Bigger tanks are available, whilst its a fossil fuel its cleaner than diesel by a country mile! If engines are designed to run on LPG they optimise power and economy, remember at the moment we are using converted petrol engines which arnt ideal, the problem you are forgetting is that its a choice of either changing the way we do things or have to except that we will be paying a lot more for food and buildings

I'm losing faith now, if lpg was so fantastic why has govt not set up free gas points?

Why have so few cars been converted.

Diesel engines produce particulates, this is bad to inhale, this has been known forever, a similar problem to burning fossil fuels in power stations, particulates /SO2/3, Nox.

Keep people out of city centres, ban all new cars, provide free escooters, wheelchairs, buses, taxis, trains.

Filter the exhaust gases. Close the Tube.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm losing faith now, if lpg was so fantastic why has govt set up free gas points?

Why have so few cars been converted.

Gretaboat always defaults to saying LPG will save the world, whenever the electric option is shown up as unviable.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

In my mind it was  hickory as used in north america for axe handles, but could be hazel, which would be springy, though I doubt if that would be easily obtained or thick enough. @tree monkey

It would be dead easy to supply good quality straight stems of hazel, it would take a while to ramp up production but there's loads of lapsed hazel coppice in the UK.

I'm all for it, give an economic benefit to management of woodlands

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Got rid of your Whispergen then?  

24 volrs for domestic heating and domestic batteries that's why I put drive batteries 72 volts to catch you out

1 hour ago, frangar said:

But your cruising pattern could be done by a pair of oars or an egg whisk.....some of us prefer to travel the system...not spend the majority of a sunny day tied up waiting for the batteries to charge.....if we had an EV for the amount of journeys that we have had to do this week Id have spent an extra day waiting in service stations for the car to charge up....

Looks like its going to cost you for your leisure activities then isn't it?