Vintage forms of Transport

howardang

Featured Posts

I think it is only natural that people on a forum like this – interested in, among other subjects, the history and development of traditional boats, may also have a similar interest in other forms of  methods of transport such as cars, trams, buses, railway etc.

Quite often, a thread on this website almost inevitably drifts into chats about such vehicles and I for one find them interesting and sometimes informative but they may be buried inside a multi page thread about a topic which may not be so interesting.

Would it be useful to have a subject topic devoted to such discussions which might avoid the thread drift which can occur, albeit that I do appreciate that they can act as a distraction technique when a thread may be getting overheated!

Any thoughts?

Howard

5 hours ago, howardang said:

I think it is only natural that people on a forum like this – interested in, among other subjects, the history and development of traditional boats, may also have a similar interest in other forms of  methods of transport such as cars, trams, buses, railway etc.

Quite often, a thread on this website almost inevitably drifts into chats about such vehicles and I for one find them interesting and sometimes informative but they may be buried inside a multi page thread about a topic which may not be so interesting.

Would it be useful to have a subject topic devoted to such discussions which might avoid the thread drift which can occur, albeit that I do appreciate that they can act as a distraction technique when a thread may be getting overheated!

Any thoughts?

Howard

Great idea. 

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't miss much, obviously I look out for guys like @bizzard

18 minutes ago, howardang said:

Yes, I also like  Bizzard's contributions but often  they are buried among unrelated posts. 

Howard

So is the suggestion that we should have a bespoke sub-forum for Bizzard's posts, less we miss any of them?

Sorry Howard!... This is drifting isn't it!

Just be aware that if we delve to far in tot railway matters the old "Is GWR better than any of the other grouping companies?", (which it isn't of course - LMS every time!), is bound to be more controversial than pump-out versus cassette.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So is the suggestion that we should have a bespoke sub-forum for Bizzard's posts, less we miss any of them?

Sorry Howard!... This is drifting isn't it!

Just be aware that if we delve to far in tot railway matters the old "Is GWR better than any of the other grouping companies?", (which it isn't of course - LMS every time!), is bound to be more controversial than pump-out versus cassette.

Yes I suppose you're right about the sub forum. I suppose it could become a forum in it's own right. I would agree with you about GWR versus the restcontroversy but it  is patently obvious that  LMS wins hands down, with LNER a close second; however, I'm sure that  it might get a bit more interesting than some of the recent interminable threads we have had on here recently:cheers:

Howard

I have interests outside of historic narrow boats and to a degree wide boats, but they are adequately serviced by forums and groups specific to their themes. Whilst I no longer own a boat, I still come on here to catch up on what's cooking.

Born in Wood Green, it's LNER for me. A rush from school to see what was pulling the Elizabethan - usually one of Gresley's A4's. After a breathtaking bike ride the squeeze to gain a good vantage point (a knot hole in a fence plank if unlucky), the anticipation, the first to spy the plume of steam in the direction of Hornsey, the roar and tremble of engine and platform, through the road arch and into the tunnel - then silence. Gone. Another new 'cop' - or one we've seen before. Often the latter. A clang of points breaks the silence to await the next event, most likely an N2 on a local. Back home for tea, and rotten homework.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

I have interests outside of historic narrow boats and to a degree wide boats, but they are adequately serviced by forums and groups specific to their themes. Whilst I no longer own a boat, I still come on here to catch up on what's cooking.

Born in Wood Green, it's LNER for me. A rush from school to see what was pulling the Elizabethan - usually one of Gresley's A4's. After a breathtaking bike ride the squeeze to gain a good vantage point (a knot hole in a fence plank if unlucky), the anticipation, the first to spy the plume of steam in the direction of Hornsey, the roar and tremble of engine and platform, through the road arch and into the tunnel - then silence. Gone. Another new 'cop' - or one we've seen before. Often the latter. A clang of points breaks the silence to await the next event, most likely an N2 on a local. Back home for tea, and rotten homework.

Did you not make it to the viewing platform in Finsbury Park...even as a kid in the 70’s I had many a happy hour there watching trains when we visited my granny. Remember watching the first HST sets go past. Sadly I was after steam but my dad watched them there in 30s and 40s when he was a local kid. 

I was spoilt for choice as a boy. Born in the West Riding my nearest large centre was Leeds with both Leeds City (predominately LMS) and Leeds Central (overwhelmingly LNER). We were also within a short train ride to Doncaster, home among other things, of the railway works where it was common to see a long queue of dead locomotives in the “Plant Stream” waiting to go for repair with a great variety of types and classes.

Interest in railways was started by attending a school which had approached by Hudson when he was expanding the railways North of Leeds in the 1840’s,  and in return for the purchase of a strip of land adjacent to the school it was stipulated that he built railings in part of the boundary way which ran along the playground, so that the boys could see the trains go by. As far as I know those railings are still there, some 150 plus years later; a great legacy which has been the makings of many a Gricer!

Howard

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

We were also within a short train ride to Doncaster, home among other things, of the railway works where it was common to see a long queue of dead locomotives in the “Plant Stream” waiting to go for repair with a great variety of types and classes.

Howard

Ooh yes, train-spotting at Donny! As soon as our parents decided that we were old enough to be let out on our own, I used to catch  a train from Sheffield Midland with my school friend and we'd spend a happy day at the station - the passing of a "Streak" always being a highlight. Once, my Dad went with us and he bribed his way into Donny Works, where we did indeed marvel at the rows of moribund locos. One, I recall, had a blackbirds' nest on its footplate, so it must have lain there for some time.

I'm now a retired schoolmaster and my school friend is a retired Crown Court judge, but after all these years we still maintain our interest in steam trains: most recently we visited the Baie de la Somme line in Northern France.

My old dad was a railway man, Goods and Cartage they called it. He was also a strong NUR Union man and had three three year stints as an NUR executive along with Sid Green and a chap called Whale chairmen of the NUR. Anyway I once went with him to Kings X station with my camera to photgraph one of his union members that my dad was supporting who had done something wrong, not paid for a cup of tea in the canteen or something, anyway while we were there the prototype Deltic came in on a test train, the blue one with yellow whiskers on the front. Also a train of footballers came in and the West Ham united team got out Geoff Hirst and all that mob. Isn't that interesting.:D

6 minutes ago, bizzard said:

My old dad was a railway man, Goods and Cartage they called it. He was also a strong NUR Union man and had three three year stints as an NUR executive along with Sid Green and a chap called Whale chairmen of the NUR. Anyway I once went with him to Kings X station with my camera to photgraph one of his union members that my dad was supporting who had done something wrong, not paid for a cup of tea in the canteen or something, anyway while we were there the prototype Deltic came in on a test train, the blue one with yellow whiskers on the front. Also a train of footballers came in and the West Ham united team got out Geoff Hirst and all that mob. Isn't that interesting.:D

Now there's an odd ball engine (power plant) for you. Loads of pistons chasing each other. It'a amazinf that 'you' could get ant rotary motion out of that lot.

14 minutes ago, bizzard said:

That Deltic was at sheldon when we went...it was in the science museum at south ken when I was a kid....it looked sooo like a American loco with the big headlight.  

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

That Deltic was at sheldon when we went...it was in the science museum at south ken when I was a kid....it looked sooo like a American loco with the big headlight.  

It was, alongside Castle class,''Caerphilly Castle''  And a pussy cat had had kittens in Puffing Billy's firebox.

Edited by bizzard

17 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It was, alongside Castle class,''Caerphilly Castle''  And a pussy cat had had kittens in Puffing Billy's firebox.

I loved the railway hall there....used to come home with a dent in my thumb from pressing the buttons to operate the models. 

I was a Southern Region steam era kid myself. My dad once took me to Salisbury station for a treat - I was about 7 I think; a driver saw me spotting, invited me up into the cab and drove me the length of the platform. Made my day. 
Imagine the number of health&safety and childcare regulations he would be breaking today ??

5 hours ago, frangar said:

Did you not make it to the viewing platform in Finsbury Park...even as a kid in the 70’s I had many a happy hour there watching trains when we visited my granny. Remember watching the first HST sets go past. Sadly I was after steam but my dad watched them there in 30s and 40s when he was a local kid. 

No, too far away, and I knew of no viewing platform at Finsbury Park. My train spotting days were in the fifties, though I do recall seeing Deltic (the blue one) going through Wood Green (It's called Alexandra Palace now).

Edited by Derek R.

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Now there's an odd ball engine (power plant) for you. Loads of pistons chasing each other. It'a amazinf that 'you' could get ant rotary motion out of that lot.

Three crankshafts geared together at one end. Two stoke as well! No valve gear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Turn the volume up!

Edited by Derek R.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I loved the railway hall there....used to come home with a dent in my thumb from pressing the buttons to operate the models. 

We live about 40 mins from York Railway Museum so visit it at least once or twice a year. Although the main exhibits are of great interest we particularly like to look round the reserve collection (open to the public) which is a real jumble of interesting railway artefacts. I could spend hours there.

Mention of the Deltic reminds me that the Deltic engine was used to power a number of the RN Ton class Minesweepers, including Bronington which was at one time commanded by Prince Charles although I suspect that he had someone behind the scenes giving him a gentle nudge from time to time:captain:

Athy mentions "Donny Works". A highlight for me was we had a school trip there when I was around 13 or 14 and spent a whole afternoon wandering around. However, the day was slightly spoiled when a teacher caught two of us smoking on the train back to Leeds and mentioned it to my father who was the local Police inspector at the time and who gave me an almighty telling off!

Howard

41 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

No, too far away, and I knew of no viewing platform at Finsbury Park. My train spotting days were in the fifties, though I do recall seeing Deltic (the blue one) going through Wood Green (It's called Alexandra Palace now).

5D1B76FA-9380-44E5-811B-292646C1D690.jpeg.6ba3a0ee2b6cd96f602dad2406b8269f.jpeg

Thats a view of it in the 1960s but it was much the same as I remember it. Sadly gone last time I visited a good few years ago. 

A couple of photos from my railway childhood, both with canal connections. The first is Ellesmere, which was a good day out from Liverpool, taking in the push-pull between Gobowen and Oswestry, where there was a chance to get round the shed or works, and then on to Ellesmere, returning via Wrexham and Hawarden. The second is the station at Glasson Dock. I now regret not having visited the local canal at the same time.

Ellesmere 548.jpg

Glasson Dock stn.jpg

Edited by Pluto
  • Greenie 1

My connection to both canals and railways was at Blisworth junction. We used to get the local from Northampton and then stand on the bridge collecting numbers on the main line and the old line to Stratford. We’d then go along toGayton arm end to watch the narrow boats on the canal and the occasional one going down the Northampton arm.

At Blisworth we would see the big main line locos that rarely got to Northampton itself .