Boat Security Equipment...

James H

Featured Posts

We're buying our first boat next month and I want to play it safe with security. So we are thinking decent locks for doors and hatches, security lights, cctv cameras linked to our phones, a decent alarm system, a safe, and of course our ferocious dog haha. But we have no idea on the best brands to go for to maximise the security on our boat, so any advice on this equipment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ?

36 minutes ago, James H said:

We're buying our first boat next month and I want to play it safe with security. So we are thinking decent locks for doors and hatches, security lights, cctv cameras linked to our phones, a decent alarm system, a safe, and of course our ferocious dog haha. But we have no idea on the best brands to go for to maximise the security on our boat, so any advice on this equipment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ?

I wouldn't bother, whatever you do, if someone wants to get in they will do, and the harder you make it the more damage will be done getting in.

The more secure you make it the more obvious it is that there is something of value inside.

Put everything ';away' out of sight when you leave the boat, a nice phone, computer, etc etc left on the table are an open invitation to try and get in.

A simple padlock will deter the opportunist, and leaving the curtains open will show them there is nothing worth breaking in for.

• Greenie 1

Make sure you have sufficient power capacity to run all that equipment - even if you're in a marina.

Thieves may be less inclined to break in if they can't see anything on display worth pinching.

Loads of visible security equipment implies there's something  worth nicking.

A good marina should have regular patrols (mine does)  and some security meaures.

It might be already too late to suggest the following, but here goes. This is merely my preferences, of course.

Buy a boat with portholes, not windows, they are much more secure.

Buy a boat with full steel front and back doors, with Yale locks on the front, and also steel eyes for a padlock.

Rear doors with bolts top and bottom inside, plus, importantly, interior bolts that lock the slide.

Steel pigeon box roof lights, with small portholes for light.

44 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Whatever you do, make sure you can get out easily in a hurry if you have to.

That is very wise advice.

46 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wouldn't bother, whatever you do, if someone wants to get in they will do, and the harder you make it the more damage will be done getting in.

I agree, but there is a fine line between making it too easy and looking like you have something worth nicking.  Get it just right, and any wannabes will take the path of least resistance, and move on to an easier, or more enticing, neighbour.

28 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Buy a boat with full steel front and back doors, with Yale locks on the front, and also steel eyes for a padlock.

Rear doors with bolts top and bottom inside, plus, importantly, interior bolts that lock the slide.

And then make sure that any locks are drilled right through the steel and attached with coach bolts.

4 minutes ago, James H said:

I agree, I want to have a secure boat, but not make it too obvious Ive gone overboard with security. 

Still an alarm system is worth it, and maybe a hidden camera! 

And I think I'll get steel doors and a good safe! 

And how are you going to power those?

11 minutes ago, James H said:

I agree, I want to have a secure boat, but not make it too obvious Ive gone overboard with security. 

And I think I'll get steel doors and a good safe! 

I’m not sure what help an alarm system is. If it activates when you are away from the boat, what will you do? Drop everything and return to the boat, only to find it was a false alarm. If it makes a noise in/outside the boat, that has plenty of potential to really piss other people off. If the boat is in an urban area, everyone will ignore it (apart from cursing you!). If it is in a rural area, no-one will hear it and the thief will know that.

Alarms tell you that you have been broken into, they don’t increase security. And they typically come with a high nuisance factor both for you and other people.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I’m not sure what help an alarm system is. If it activates when you are away from the boat, what will you do? Drop everything and return to the boat, only to find it was a false alarm. If it makes a noise in/outside the boat, that has plenty of potential to really piss other people off. If the boat is in an urban area, everyone will ignore it (apart from cursing you!). If it is in a rural area, no-one will hear it and the thief will know that.

Alarms tell you that you have been broken into, they don’t increase security. And they typically come with a high nuisance factor both for you and other people.

I would tend to agree with this.

My old boat was built with portholes, steel doors and pigeon boxes, and never got touched, mainly, I suspect, because it was going to be a pain to get into, and there were always easy to open big windowed boats around. 

I didn’t buy it with security in mind but because it looked better than the windowed boats.

Another point that may be of interest is that a boat with portholes tends to keep warm better in winter, and act less like a greenhouse in summer.

31 minutes ago, James H said:

Yes, a camera is essential because then you might be able tell whether it was normal, everyday alarm current draw, multiple ignored false alarms, or some unidentifiable bloke in a hoody that cause the terminal flattening of your domestic battery bank... ;)

Nobody has stated the obvious yet. Its simple. there are many ways to secure a house with cheap alarm systems to be had. Doors and windows are also more secure on houses than any boat. Secure the house and live on the boat with a large dog. The lifestyle is vastly better, the security of the boat is taken care of and you can visit the boring house on days away. We did it this way for many years before binning the boring house.