Market downturn?

Psychalist

Featured Posts

Nobody has mentioned the shambolic farce,Brexit, (well,not on this thread)

In uncertain times,people will tend to hang on to their money'so this could one of the factors slowing down sales.

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

Not so sure about that. It might tip the boat from being unsaleable to something people want to buy,

I wasn't referring to a wreck, but to people adding 'bling' to an already saleable boat.  Like a house, most buyers will put their own mark on their purchase.

2 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

I wasn't referring to a wreck, but to people adding 'bling' to an already saleable boat.  Like a house, most buyers will put their own mark on their purchase.

It's all relative, isn't it

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Nobody has mentioned the shambolic farce,Brexit, (well,not on this thread)

In uncertain times,people will tend to hang on to their money'so this could one of the factors slowing down sales.

Leave it for the Brexit thread some of us are sick to death of even the bad weather being blamed on brexit!!

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

Not so sure about that. It might tip the boat from being unsaleable to something people want to buy, which would be money very well spent

As you all know we were recently considering selling the boat. We have recently bought new nav gear which we were still going to fit to the boat. We could have sold this separately and got our money back for it, but we were going to still fit it to the boat, not to add value. It would not add a penny to the value, but it might have made the boat a better prospect to a potential buyer seeing that the nav gear was brand new and it would not need updating for a while.

Same with the cockpit upholstery we had done. It adds no value but makes the boat a better prospect to someone.

Same goes with the house. We spent a little bit of money and some time to tart it up which made it a lot easier to sell. So easy in fact we sold it twice in a week :lol::lol:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

As you all know we were recently considering selling the boat. We have recently bought new nav gear which we were still going to fit to the boat. We could have sold this separately and got our money back for it, but we were going to still fit it to the boat, not to add value. It would not add a penny to the value, but it might have made the boat a better prospect to a potential buyer seeing that the nav gear was brand new and it would not need updating for a while.

Same with the cockpit upholstery we had done. It adds no value but makes the boat a better prospect to someone.

Similar outlook when we listed our boat, all the seating was freshly re-upholstered (literally fitted the day the boat went up for sale) and various other niggling jobs were done, but generally it got listed as a very honest warts n all listing (judge for yourself https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/stenson-43-cruiser-stern/606831 ) in that rather than hiding or not mentioning defects I pointed them out (failing paint on handrails / roof, cratch cover needs replacing etc).

Even though it is now sold (deposit paid) I'm still going to drop a new starter battery on the boat as I noticed that it was not healthy when I started the engine up for the buyer. even though neither the buyer or his friend picked up on it I know it's on it's way out so I'll replace it (it was showing 11v instead of it's usual 12.5 - 13 and was slow to turn over so I suspect a cell has dropped out), from my point of view if they bring bedding and food the boat should be ready to use without worrying about anything when we hand it over.

• Greenie 1

When we sold three years ago the buyer made it clear that they had trawled through our blog to pick up all the issues we had had with the boat. They only mentioned the ones when it went wrong and not the improvements we had also made!

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Same goes with the house. We spent a little bit of money and some time to tart it up which made it a lot easier to sell. So easy in fact we sold it twice in a week :lol::lol:

You want to be careful doing that... That nice Mr Rimmer tried it with boats and look what happened to him ?.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

You want to be careful doing that... That nice Mr Rimmer tried it with boats and look what happened to him ?.

This time it was all above board and legal. :lol:

We sold it to a developer and then sold it a week later on behalf of the developer.

I think sellers of narrowboats, be they private individuals or brokers, have just got carried away in the last few years, but the buying public are starting to wise up.  

We sold a boat last year, the broker insisted on asking what I thought was a ridiculous price and though I hate to be proved right on this occasion, I was.  But, even after we reduced the price to what I thought was reasonable, we still made a slight profit on that boat compared to what I paid for it five years previously, plus what I had spent on it.  So the trend is still generally upwards, price wise, in my experience.  

Talking to brokers and marina operators there still seems to be a healthy demand from potential liveaboards who inhabit the mid to low end of the market, and we still haven't exhausted the supply of early retired/retired folk with decent pensions and capital to fuel the upper end.