Dometic tec 30 DIESEL generator

luggsy

Featured Posts

Just seen this on eBay I have one and they are a great bit of kit cost £6500 upwards when new , I have nothing to do with it just thought it might be of interest to some one on here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dometic-Tec-30-Vehicle-based-Diesel-Generator-/222096079230?hash=item33b5f5397e:g:YS8AAOSwiYFXG9pe

Alan de Enfield, on 24 Apr 2016 - 1:46 PM, said:

Lets start with the two obvious ones

Cooling

Exhaust

I guess it would be 'ok' sat on the rear deck, but 'built in' - NO !

and noise.

I didn't see a speed rating - but It's most likely to be 3,000 rpm - very noisy.

I have mine in the bow , made a exhaust that runs up the Bow and out through the roof, diesel tank and battery are in the locker , for cooling I leave one side of the cratch open when running I also fitted a computer fan in the frame that it sits on as the cold air is drawn in at the top ( front ) and the hot air is blown out at the bottom the fan blows the hot air away or it would just get sucked in the front vents and over heat,noise wise it's ok no one has conplaned about it yet when you are stood at the stern it just sounds like a boat engine is running , I have heard noisier petrol generators , I will put some pictures on later

I have mine in the bow , made a exhaust that runs up the Bow and out through the roof, diesel tank and battery are in the locker , for cooling I leave one side of the cratch open when running I also fitted a computer fan in the frame that it sits on as the cold air is drawn in at the top ( front ) and the hot air is blown out at the bottom the fan blows the hot air away or it would just get sucked in the front vents and over heat,noise wise it's ok no one has conplaned about it yet when you are stood at the stern it just sounds like a boat engine is running , I have heard noisier petrol generators , I will put some pictures on later

Then I guess as long as both you and the BSS man are happy, that all OK.

Its not for me.

£650 seems an OK price for a used "packaged" diesel generator with remote start panel. It's not a cheap Chinese thing. Looks a good deal but I now have three generators on board (8kw@230v), 650w@230w And 1200w@12v dc) :lol:

Not too sure about the air cooled situation but its an interesting unit.

I recently picked up a HFL "DC traveller" Genny off eBay for £750. It's a 212cc Kubota water cooled diesel belted to a 100a alternator and 3 stage controller. It's an old unit (1990s) but seems to be very nice and not used much.

I have not noticed the Dometic tec30 before but assuming some flexibility in installation it seems like a useful generator. It's a bit of a "middle ground" area for boats really as it has relatively low output but also good fuel economy which is handy.

There is a Mase 2.2kw unit on eBay at the moment which has a yanmar air cooled diesel in it. Difference is that it is intercooler cooled so in effect it is a water cooled unit allowing extensive soundproofing to be included.

Probably aimed at salty boats where the advantage of seperating the water from the engine would be a clear benefit.

The tec30 is an interesting item :)

Edited by magnetman

magnetman, on 24 Apr 2016 - 5:29 PM, said:

£650 seems an OK price for a used "packaged" diesel generator with remote start panel. It's not a cheap Chinese thing. Looks a good deal but I now have three generators on board (8kw@230v), 650w@230w And 1200w@12v dc) laugh.png

Not too sure about the air cooled situation but its an interesting unit.

I recently picked up a HFL "DC traveller" Genny off eBay for £750. It's a 212cc Kubota water cooled diesel belted to a 100a alternator and 3 stage controller. It's an old unit (1990s) but seems to be very nice and not used much.

I have not noticed the Dometic tec30 before but assuming some flexibility in installation it seems like a useful generator. It's a bit of a "middle ground" area for boats really as it has relatively low output but also good fuel economy which is handy.

There is a Mase 2.2kw unit on eBay at the moment which has a yanmar air cooled diesel in it. Difference is that it is intercooler cooled so in effect it is a water cooled unit allowing extensive soundproofing to be included.

Probably aimed at salty boats where the advantage of seperating the water from the engine would be a clear benefit.

The tec30 is an interesting item smile.png

I looked at the Dometic unit on their site ('cos I'm nosy) and there was no indication of engine speed. The blurb shows it mounted underneath a lorry; to me implying it was noisy and wanted lots of ventilation...

But it's an attractive price and looks smart...

However, if water cooled units are available - from time to time - and with a decent engine = Kubota, I'd be inclined to wait.

If what the OP buys is quiet then he may be inclined to make more use of it?

Looking at a few other vids on youtube they all seem to make about the same amount of racket.

A Honda gx360 is symphony compared to that!

Imagine being in close proximity to it for any length of time. I think I'd go postal :)

Having worked with generators for many years this unit should win a prize for the most sound generated

Keith

The loudest noise I measured from a generator was 106dBA at one metre, from a MTU driving a 2000kVA DRUPS.