Boat on fire, North Oxford canal.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Bloody Ada. That first picture is dramatic to say the least. Thank goodness that it appears that no one was on board.

I guess that it must have been a wooden superstructure, for it to have been consumed so rapidly.

Bloody Ada. That first picture is dramatic to say the least. Thank goodness that it appears that no one was on board.

I guess that it must have been a wooden superstructure, for it to have been consumed so rapidly.

More likely it was GRP.

Richard

About half a mile east of Sutton Stop, we've phoned 999

OFF-TOPIC how did you get on with calling 999? On the couple of occasions we have called the police, it's been hard to communicate where on the canal we were

Richard

Oh dear what a sight! I bet that made the heart race when you saw that.

Although it of course has destroyed the top not being steel it would not have made much difference to the contents being destroyed if it was. It is good that there is no one hurt but I pity the person coming back to that and seeing their home gone.if they are a liveaboard.

OFF-TOPIC how did you get on with calling 999? On the couple of occasions we have called the police, it's been hard to communicate where on the canal we were

Richard

When we came across a fire on the BCN Main line I gave the two bridges which the section of canal was between, and looked on the map to give the 2 road names too (I think they might have been the same anyway, what with BCN having named bridges instead of numbers). Of course, the fire brigade arbitarily chose a bridge, and it was the longer walk....and they turned up with no firefighting equipment either.

Richard

We were a bit vague, we said half a mile east of Hawkesbury Junction and opposite the electrical substation. You could see the smoke a long way away though so that must have helped them.

We called the fire service to what we thought was a possible gas leak from a fallen pipe off a bridge, but was actually a 25,000 volt cable arcing and earthing itself.

It took them at least an hour for the fire service to work out where we were and get to us- even though we knew the 19th century name for the Rushall flight (Ganseys) which they used to refer to it!

Edit- in hindsight, having an OS map app on the phone, so you can give a proper 8 figure grid reference, might've been handy.

My understanding is that if you dial 112 instead of 999, they can triangulate your phone location.

In the UK, 999 and 112 do the same thing, namely connect you to the emergency services. Neither number has priority over the other, and neither number provides location information better than the other. They are the same.

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/EP-999-or-112-Which-is-Best-aspx

Richard

That's a pretty large generalisation. North Coventry isn't all old boating families

Richard

In truth Richard there aren't actually many houses near this spot (unless they have sprung up recently). It's still a bit of a wasteland from the days of the power station. The area around Sutton Stop was full of boating families but I suspect things have moved on a lot since carrying ended and there have of course been many new houses built west of the junction. That area really was a bit separate even from Longford let alone the rest of north Coventry.

Jon