Calor Gas Prices 6/1/14

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

For your information

I have just received notification of the prices we will be charged for Calor Gas as of the 6/1/14 (we have a Mobile Home Park and therefore have a direct account with Calor Gas).

These prices exclude VAT

4.5 kg Butane £11.285

7 kg Butane £17.698

15kg Butane £29.81

3.9 Kg Propane £9.86

13 kg Propane £25.00

(Butane is blue bottles and propane is the red bottles)

These are our cost prices excluding VAT - a business selling gas must obviously charge to make a profit, as well as pay labour, storage, overheads etc etc.

If someone is charging you £30 for the 13kg propane, by the time they have covered their costs and paid the VAT man £1.43 they are not making a great deal.

A unit on the side of the T&M at Etruria were knocking out 13kg propane for £17.48 in August just gone.

Not a scrap of use if you are on the K&A i know but they will be turning a coin even at that price i would assume.

Edit to add that this was for Calor, at least that what it said on the bottle.

Edited by Rod a mod from Tod

I dint think you can compare 'loose' gas with bottled gas.

Even if you try to rationalise the prices between the different sized bottles you fail.

Unfortunately you pays and gets the gas, or you dont and you dont !!!!

The gap between Calor and their competitors is closing rapidly - particularly if you make sure you are comparing like-with-like as some of the 'cheap' suppliers are (for example) 12kg instead of 13 kg

Edit - our bulk price is 66.35p + VAT per litre

Edited by Alan de Enfield

How does that work out in pence per kWh?

Calor is often priced about the same as grid electric, if it was more people would use electric heaters and hobs instead where they could.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

A google search shows 1 litre = 7.15kw

So at 66p + VAT/litre comes out around 9.7p/kwh

A google search shows 1 litre = 7.15kw

So at 66p + VAT/litre comes out around 9.7p/kwh

Is that to a large tank and not bottles? It's surprisingly close to grid eleccy, for heating purposes a heat pump should beat calor by a country mile.

Wonder how much bottled calor works out to per kWh?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

According to Calors website a 13kg Propane is now £27.25 plus vat...they also charge £5 for delivery

However Go Outdoors are doing it for £24.52 with their free discount card....and they reckon the retail is £27.25 inc vat!

Quite a few boatyards I know do sell for less than the recommended price so I don't know if they get a discount for quantity.....the Alvechurch group yards were selling them with discount although this did vary between the bases.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Expensive!! given that I am paying 62p per litre including road fuel duty and vat they are making a hefty profit at calor

Peter

It isn't the gas you are paying for, it's the bottling of it, the safety checking, and the facility to buy it from a canalside retailer in small quantities.

I expect you'd get it for about 60p a litre delivered to your boat if you bought 500 litres at a time.

Oh and by the way, you get aproximately 2 litres of LPG per Kg in those gas bottles...

MtB

Good Evening

When I contacted Calor asking for the make up of autogas as dispensed from fuel stations etc

they stated that Autogas is 100% propane + stenching agent

Other countries as below

Country Propane Butane
Austria 50 50
Belgium 50 50
Denmark 50 50
France 35 65
Germany 90 10
Greece 20 80
Ireland 100 --
Italy 25 75
Netherlands 50 50
Spain 30 70
Sweden 95 5
United Kingdom 100 --

Regards Ray

Good Evening

When I contacted Calor asking for the make up of autogas as dispensed from fuel stations etc

they stated that Autogas is 100% propane + stenching agent

Other countries as below

Country Propane Butane

Austria 50 50

Belgium 50 50

Denmark 50 50

France 35 65

Germany 90 10

Greece 20 80

Ireland 100 --

Italy 25 75

Netherlands 50 50

Spain 30 70

Sweden 95 5

United Kingdom 100 --

Regards Ray

I stand (sit) corrected I was under the impression it varied between 80/20 and 90/10 at different times of the year. - having read the Motorhome forum where your figures were published it looks as if they have low-temperature freezing problems in the winter where the mix is higher on the butane side.

For your information

I have just received notification of the prices we will be charged for Calor Gas as of the 6/1/14 (we have a Mobile Home Park and therefore have a direct account with Calor Gas).

These prices exclude VAT

4.5 kg Butane £11.285

7 kg Butane £17.698

15kg Butane £29.81

3.9 Kg Propane £9.86

13 kg Propane £25.00

(Butane is blue bottles and propane is the red bottles)

These are our cost prices excluding VAT - a business selling gas must obviously charge to make a profit, as well as pay labour, storage, overheads etc etc.

If someone is charging you £30 for the 13kg propane, by the time they have covered their costs and paid the VAT man £1.43 they are not making a great deal.

Change from Calor to Budget Gas. Im paying as a stockist;

Butane

4.5KG - £9.94

7KG - £11.38

13KG - £16.43

Propane

3.9KG - £12.49

6KG - £12.90

11KG - £13.96

18KG FLT - £20.19

19KG - £22.33

47KG - £47.05

I charge £26.25 for a 13KG Butane Bottle.